Exasperated with car seat usage at school

tl01

At DS1's school we often have to drive kids from church to school as we did today. I offer to drive many students bc I have a big car, lots of seats, and I will use them properly. Parents are actually supposed to leave seats for the kids to use instead of the driving parents needing to have seats... But they often forget. Today I had a bunch of 1st graders with nothing. The law here is 6/60.. But these kids are no where close to passing the 5 step test. I've spoken to the principal who was going to send something about the 5 step test and she never did. I'm going to mention it again since the law is changing to 8/80 in January... But I still can't believe these people think 1st graders don't need seats!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember to emphasize that the new law defines proper fit, and the parent or driver of any child under 16 whose belt does not fit as defined in the law can be ticketed. So boosters are mandated by LAW until the belt fits!

tl01

Remember to emphasize that the new law defines proper fit, and the parent or driver of any child under 16 whose belt does not fit as defined in the law can be ticketed. So boosters are mandated by LAW until the belt fits!

Oh I did the first time around but I think the info fell of deaf ears. I will again...

Is there a flyer out there that I can give to the principal to hand out to the families before holiday break.

CrazyBoysMamma

Do you have anything that shows this? (not that I'm doubting you) The only thing I've gotten with a rundown of the new law is in Spanish and no habla...:eek: I was under the impression that it was 8 or 4'9", whichever came first, and that made me sad.:( I kept telling myself "baby steps, gotta ease them into it" but if propper fit is required by law I'm be overjoyed!!

CrazyBoysMamma

My phone has decided it doesn't want to pull it up, so I'll have to check it out at work tonight. Thank you so much. I've been pushing 5 step and the new law on FB for a while and I'm just now getting a response, but it's a lot of boo hoo, my kid'll be 12 before s/he fits waahh garbage. Um, yeah, a lot of kids ARE 12 before they fit. Patrick and James may be older than that even because they have super short torsos. I'm not whining, I've taught my big boys about seatbelt syndrome and neither have ever complained about boosters, they love being in one and tell all their friends/cousins that they're crazy for not wanting a booster!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC