Graco Nautilus vs Argos

wallawallakids

Hi. I have twin 4 year olds who are both currently in a Britax Boulevard in our 2009 Chevy Suburban. I am looking to get them new car seats that can be used as long as possible (i.e...into booster seats) and that have a lower profile than the Boulevard.
Does anyone have any recommendations between the Graco Nautilus vs the Argo? I like the Britax Frontier but honestly, I can't afford two of those right now and then two more next year for our other car. (The carseats in that car re fine for another year). Also, the Frontier seems really wide and I have a very tiny 4 year old (28lbs). So not sure that will be a good fit for her anyway.
I have looked them all up on the IHIS and can't find much at all about the Argo. It seems similar to the Nautilus. I have never had a Graco car seat before so I am a little nervous. All 4 of my kids have been in Britax with the exception of my two oldest currently in Recaro boosters. But like I said, money is tight and buying more of those isn't really in the cards right now but I don't want to sacrifice their safety either!!! Please help! Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Britax will be thrilled to hear you saying such things. It means their marketing team is earning their keep. You are NOT sacrificing safety by not buying Britax, and I think the Frontiers are overkill for you, even if you could dish out the double dough for them.

The Argos is too new to have been reviewed. It's go the same top slots as the Nautilus, but a 70 pound limit rather than 65, the backless booster goes to 120 pounds, I believe, and it has a harness that you adjust with the headrest, rather than rethreading the harness through slots.

You could save money by buying two Nautiuses or Argoses, then buying dedicated boosters for the less used car when their other seats expire next year. For five year olds over 30 or 35 pounds, the occasional booster ride is just fine, IMO.

Wendy

T4K

My petite 4 yo likes her Evenflo Maestro. She also has a Recaro ProSport and likes her Maestro just the same. It's a great seat for the value ($80) and is narrow and lightweight.

wallawallakids

Thanks for the prompt response. I know I am probably overreacting about the Britax thing but I was in an accident with my twins and I firmly believe that those seats saved their lives. I think that is why I am having a hard time replacing them with a different type of seat. That and I want them in a 4 point harness for as long as possible but realize at some point a booster is the way to go. Thanks for reassuring me that Graco is just as good. I think I will go to the store and put them in it and see how it looks. I just liked the Argo's no rethreading on the harness. I hate having to take the seat out and rethread those harnesses. (Funny how spoiled we get. When my oldest was born 10 years ago...there was no other option.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks for the prompt response. I know I am probably overreacting about the Britax thing but I was in an accident with my twins and I firmly believe that those seats saved their lives. I think that is why I am having a hard time replacing them with a different type of seat. That and I want them in a 4 point harness for as long as possible but realize at some point a booster is the way to go. Thanks for reassuring me that Graco is just as good. I think I will go to the store and put them in it and see how it looks. I just liked the Argo's no rethreading on the harness. I hate having to take the seat out and rethread those harnesses. (Funny how spoiled we get. When my oldest was born 10 years ago...there was no other option.)

A properly used seat, that fits them, and is installed well will reduce injury or save lives. :) So yes, the Gracos will do just that. So will Combi, Learning Curve, Diono, any of the others. :) Recaro, too.

A four point harness would be one lacking a crotch strap. What you have are five point harnesses. And there are debates as to whether or not long term harnessing is beneficial, or simply equal to, a booster. I don't think you'll do them harm by harnessing them with a top tether, so if you want to, go ahead. Just know that there are no studies showing that one is safer than the other after five years old or so, and real life shows a remarkable reduction in injury when either is used properly.

Wendy

Jessica61624

wallawallakids said:

This might he totally off track but after the accident you did replace them right? I'm just curious since you said they expire next year.

Like Wendy said all seats are safe when properly used. The graco nautilus is a great seat! You really shouldn't have to adjust the harness much unless you'll be using it for multiple kids. I know the frontier isn't on your list but I thought I'd mention you usually have to take it out to move the harness up also.

wallawallakids

This might he totally off track but after the accident you did replace them right? I'm just curious since you said they expire next year.

Yes. I should have been more clear. The Boulevards from the Chevy are now in my new car (the other was a total loss). So now I need to replace my husband's seats in the Suburban. My Boulevards aren't new, I bought them in 2007 when the twins were born but they should last them another year in the new car.
Sorry if I made that confusing. I was trying to ask about the seats without going into all the drama of the accident. Hope it is clearer now.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help. And I appreciate you asking about the seats. Its important to replace them and I know some people try to reuse them.

Jessica61624

wallawallakids said:
Yes. I should have been more clear. The Boulevards from the Chevy are now in my new car (the other was a total loss). So now I need to replace my husband's seats in the Suburban. My Boulevards aren't new, I bought them in 2007 when the twins were born but they should last them another year in the new car.
Sorry if I made that confusing. I was trying to ask about the seats without going into all the drama of the accident. Hope it is clearer now.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help. And I appreciate you asking about the seats. Its important to replace them and I know some people try to reuse them.

Ok that's good that they're not in use! I just wanted to be sure since some do reuse them! If you live close to babies r us they usually let you take the seats out to your car. Just go to the desk and give them your id. Then you can try them out in your car and see how you like them.

bethng

If you were really thinking of going with an argos....you can go to albeebaby.com and for about $13 more you can get a frontier.....if you really would rather stick with britax. Not saying that its a better seat....just pointing out that the frontier is not that much more then a agros...or even some of the nautilus's

jeminijad

If you were really thinking of going with an argos....you can go to albeebaby.com and for about $13 more you can get a frontier.....if you really would rather stick with britax. Not saying that its a better seat....just pointing out that the frontier is not that much more then a agros...or even some of the nautilus's

This is true. Two Argoses aren't much cheaper at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC