Installing in a supershuttle van

mrosehughes

I am strongly considering hiring a shuttle for the three of us (DH, DS, and myself) to get to/from the airport during our trip to SFO in a few weeks. It'll only be $16 more than BART, and would be door-to-door (our hotel is over 1/2 a mile from the nearest BART station).

Has anyone installed a carseat on a supershuttle van? How difficult can I expect it to be? I'm planning to bring my radian, which I've installed with seatbelt and latch in a few different cars, but I'm no pro by any means. I've never used a locking latchplate, but could familiarize myself with that if it will likely be necessary. Alternatively we could bring our Britax BLVD which has the lockoffs, but DS is dangerously close to outgrowing it, and I don't like it as much for travel.

DS will be just over 2 and RFing is a requirement.

ADS

Ladybugmama

I have used blue van but not super shuttle. It was pretty easy, an 12 ( or so) passenger van. I wasn't as car seat smart and didn't top tether. Biggest thing is stick to your guns, I've has a few van ( blue van hotel shuttles etc) tell me it was a short ride/ a lot of people so just hold dd an stow the car seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've ridden in Super Shuttle in LA and sometimes they are newer but sometimes you get the older vans with really long buckle stalks and it can be a challenge, depending on what seats you have. Let them know you have a car seat to install and then tell them your time is half an hour earlier so they come extra early, if you're worried.

A Boulevard is easier than a Radian if you get the long buckle stalks going on. No worries that they won't want you to use the seat, livery, shuttle, and taxi companies in CA are required to require child seats.

cupcakepirate11

It does depend on which van you get when they pick you up. You could maybe request a newer model van? I was able to use latch the last time we took a shuttle for my marathon SO easy.

mrosehughes

I've requested extra time for carseat install and a newer van. I'm still nervous about long belt stalks, lap belt only, or not auto-retracting belts. Hopefully the van we get will have latch!

julia94115

Another idea for getting to/from SFO is a car service. Not sure exactly where you are but if you're in the city, it is around $50 for your own private car and driver. It's way cheaper than a taxi, WAY easier than the vans that make a million stops and is way more luxurious and faster.

I'll have quite a few recommendations. If you want PM me and I'll give them to you.

mrosehughes

julia94115 said:
Another idea for getting to/from SFO is a car service. Not sure exactly where you are but if you're in the city, it is around $50 for your own private car and driver. It's way cheaper than a taxi, WAY easier than the vans that make a million stops and is way more luxurious and faster.

I'll have quite a few recommendations. If you want PM me and I'll give them to you.

The shuttle is only $30 each way since DS is free, so I'd rather save the money unless the van install is likely going to be a nightmare.

PMing you! :)

mrosehughes

Update:
Installing in the van wasn't too bad. It had latch, and with the angle adjuster the seat was upright enough to go behind the driver. However, I had to fight with the driver who told me it wasn't legal for DS to be RFing ('but everyone else faces the other way!', grrr) and then he started driving off before DS or I was buckled! So we're taking a taxi/BART back (DH will take luggage to the BART station in a taxi and DS and I will walk down).

Eclipsepearl

Not surprised at that one!

Sorry I'm chiming in late but I was going to say also check where the van is going. I never worked at SFO but did tons of trips there and since I'm from the Bay Area, I would skip the crew hotel and go home to my parents'. I would take the Super Shuttle to BART but often, they'd go all over the place before getting to the City. It's taken an hour to get from SFO to Market Street (those first four stations, I told them any one).

Go for BART if you can manage it! Very easy!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC