Question Car suggestions for Diono RadianRXT?

luna2324

Hello, I was in a rear ending car accident a few nights ago (DD2 wasn't in the car with me, thank goodness) and my car was declared a total loss so I'm being given $10,000 to buy a replacement car. I don't believe we will be approved to finance a car, so we're assuming we need to stay under $10,000.

We loved our 2006 Saturn Vue (automatic), so I'd like a car comparable in size as that. I went ahead and just ordered a Diono RadianRXT, and we will be rear facing to the max, so I know I need to take that into a consideration when car shopping since they don't fit in every car. I've searched the thread about successful Radian installs, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a safe family car in my price range. Any help would be much appreciated, this is all so overwhelming. I'm so excited to use the new car seat though!!

ADS

nanny2be10

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you are okay. I have a 2005 Hyundai Tucson that I've put many miles on (100,000 now) that I haven't had ANY problems with. The trunk is huge, it drives smoothly, and it was voted top safety rankings of the year. If you need any maintenance, Hyundai is considerably cheaper than the others. I'm 6'0 and can easily sit in the backseat comfortably. It's made to fit adults! I can't say enough good things about it. We got it for around $10,00 and it has leather and a sunroof! I have absolutely no problems with it and I'm the third owner of the car. LOVE IT! Happy car shopping.

zactayaus

Just wanted to say that anyone who would buy a car based on their car seat is a true c-s.orger:love: and you will most definitely fit right in here.:p

luna2324

Just wanted to say that anyone who would buy a car based on their car seat is a true c-s.orger:love: and you will most definitely fit right in here.:p

Haha! Only my first post here, but I read all the time!! The silver lining of this accident was that they handed me a check and I immediately bought the car seat I most wanted without caring about the price. Pretty much the only time I've ever not had to worry about spending $288!!!! (The plum color was on sale and I just had to have it!) :p I don't know how much they will even reimburse me for, but it doesn't matter. I'm in love with the seat and it hasn't even arrived yet. :love:

We checked out some cars today- Mazda5, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester. I was standing in various dealership lots on my phone checking the successful Radian Installation thread. The salesmen thought I was nuts for saying I had to make sure my car seat would fit. "Oh you can definitely find a seat that will fit back here." Ah, they just don't get it! LOL!

I have another question but I think it deserves it's own thread. :)

hrice

I am pretty sure that the Forrester and the Radian are not a match made in heaven. Almost incompatable.

Heather, CPST and Momma to Dustin 11/01, Colton 6/08 and Peyton 6/09

todzwife

We had an 07 forester and the radian fit fine center or outboard forward facing. There wasn't enough room front to back rear facing.

DrummerBaby

I am looking for a new car too, and the guy at the (used car) dealership said to just go ahead and bring whatever carseats I want, and to play with the installation in the cars we look at. He also was willing to try to name cars that would fit my car seat specs- namely, possibly being able to fit one seat in the middle and one on the side.

They want you to buy a car and not return it, so ask around! Someone should be willing to work with you on it!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
He also was willing to try to name cars that would fit my car seat specs- namely, possibly being able to fit one seat in the middle and one on the side.

Just be sure he knows what he is doing. :p Many dealers might tell you things such as you can use LATCH in the center (when in reality, only certain cars allow that), you can brace your carseat against the front seat (when many cars don't actually allow it), and you can tether in weird ways (even though you usually cannot). Just be careful.

beetlemama

Just be sure he knows what he is doing. :p Many dealers might tell you things such as you can use LATCH in the center (when in reality, only certain cars allow that), you can brace your carseat against the front seat (when many cars don't actually allow it), and you can tether in weird ways (even though you usually cannot). Just be careful.

Even dealers who have good intentions are generally carseat clueless. I had one tell me that my then 9-month old's seat would fit far better if I turned it around. When I told him that wasn't safe he looked at me like I had two heads! I walked out and gave him no business!

chasitymarie08

CPS Technician
I have an 05 Trailblazer. I bought it in September. I cannot install a car seat in the middle but I can say that I can fit 2 RN XTSLs behind both seats and fit comfortably and I am 5'10 and i never have complaints from anyone taller either.. Being that it's older, i can also brace both seats and i have a rock solid amazing install. My truck also has a 3rd row, and you can buckle in from the back if you needed the extra seating.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Absolutely do not buy a Forester for the Radian.

I currently own a 2006 Vue. I had a 2003 Forester (I expect you'll be buying newer than 2003, but I'm not sure you'll get into the new body style for $10K). The Vue is MUCH more roomy inside than the Forester. If you're looking for the same amount of passenger room and cargo space, it's not even close.

SynEpona

I have no idea what used vehicle prices are like outside of Canada, but every single Ford I've put my Radians in has been pretty straight forward. Focus (wagon), Freestyle, Explorer & Expedition. I don't think I ever put it in my mom's Escape.

But, if you want a family friendly vehicle, I really like my Freestyle, and depending how new you are looking, they were also called the TaurusX for a while.

Radians fit nicely in the 2nd row, I've not yet tried them in the 3rd row.

mamakc

SynEpona said:
I have no idea what used vehicle prices are like outside of Canada, but every single Ford I've put my Radians in has been pretty straight forward. Focus (wagon), Freestyle, Explorer & Expedition. I don't think I ever put it in my mom's Escape.

But, if you want a family friendly vehicle, I really like my Freestyle, and depending how new you are looking, they were also called the TaurusX for a while.

Radians fit nicely in the 2nd row, I've not yet tried them in the 3rd row.

I love my freestyle, the radian fits great rear facing now that I have the angle adjuster. Before that, it was far too reclined and it took up too much room front to back. The angle adjuster makes it install at a perfect angle and I can almost put the seat all the way back. It doesn't install well in the center though, and seat belt installs are very difficult forward facing. But if you were to get a model year compatible with super latch then that isn't an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC