10 month old girl which seat should i use?

Polola0628

Here's a post from a user a few years ago. You might try this method:

The angle is much better in that picture. You still have it completely in mechanical recline though, right?

Best advice for freeing up the knobs I can give is to use a single pool noodle and then pull the base of the seat slightly away from the seat bite. Pulling it out a little will compensate for the bit of recline the noodle will add, and it should reposition it at a height that the knobs won't interfere.

You could always try reinstalling with a smaller towel than you initially used and see if there's a happy medium there too.

Here's a couple links to how I'm using the noodle for my install. I do have sculpted backseats, so that's why the knob is so snug - it's still pretty easy to operate though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2444666586_c4608fcea3.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2047/2444666768_c7ab322995.jpg?v=0

(my ds is 19mos as of today, and hasn't fallen asleep since I last re-installed it. I wouldn't put an EFTA any more upright than what mine is. The angle is deceptive when judging it so I just wouldn't want to make it any further upright. )

ADS

Polola0628

no because she gets all mad and cry and sometimes doesn't want to get in it so if i loosen the straps its easier for me and her to get into the seat without to much crying and fussing and i have a graco snugride that i can always us until she out grows it and then i can go back to this car seat. so I'm hoping someone will know if this is safe or and not! and yes you got it right why the blanket is there!!!!

You could use the Snugride for now if she hasn't exceeded its maximums yet. However, she needs to remain rear facing until at least her second birthday (which is a bare minimum, it is recommended to rear face longer to the limits of the seat), so you'll soon run into the same problem with the knobs.

Better to correct the issue now than face it a few months down the road and end up turning her forward facing too early because there is nothing you can do about the knobs.

well i am one of those parents who put there kids front facing at one year. and she is already pretty close to 25 lbs she is a big girl just not that tall lol. so the snugride rf longer than the evenflo and hopefully she will be just outgrowing the Graco one at her first birthday. then i can switch the car seats and not have the problem! as where i live the limit is 1 year and 20lbs not before them. so is the blanket safe or should i put in the graco car seat?

Baylor

jenniferpossberg said:
those pictures you posted are nice but my seats are worse than that so it's either the blanket or other car seat

Personally I would use the other seat since you have it. Make sure the harness is at or below child's shoulders. Never above rear facing. You can also try an arrange for a car seat check with one of the techs here.

auto-correct on the loose..

Baylor

Actually the new rule is 2 yrs forward facing. And that is now the minimum.

The risk of injury in a child ff at 1 is much greater than one ff at 2 and beyond.

Polola0628

well i am one of those parents who put there kids front facing at one year. and she is already pretty close to 25 lbs she is a big girl just not that tall lol. so the snugride rf longer than the evenflo and hopefully she will be just outgrowing the Graco one at her first birthday. then i can switch the car seats and not have the problem! as where i live the limit is 1 year and 20lbs not before them. so is the blanket safe or should i put in the graco car seat?

1 year and 20lbs is a legal minimum. Legal does not equal safe. And your child should not be a minimum.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends keeping your child in a rear facing car seat for at least two years, preferrably longer.

Young forward-facing children are at risk for spinal injury in a frontal collision. The forward momentum and their head being thrust forward is enough to internally decapitate them, severing their spinal cord.

See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sssIsceKd6U#!

Here is a link that I highly recommend you check out:
http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

cookie123

Jennifer - good for you for wanting to make sure your child's carseat is correctly installed. I would use the Graco infant seat for now if you feel confident that the installation is correct and your baby is within the limits of the seat. Perhaps you could meet with a CPST from the board to help you with the installation of your other seat. It needs to be installed as outlined in the manual. Not all car seats work in every vehicle. Another seat may work better for you.

Rear facing until age 2 is very important and has nothing to do with the law. It is recommended by the AAP and the NHTSA as it is 5x less likely that serious injury or death will occur in an accident if the child is rear facing. 1 year and 20 lbs is a minimum and is outdated with the information now available. Please take some time to view some of the information available in these links.

http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

but where you live? i live in Saskatchewan Canada. so around here it's 1 year nd 20lbs. after that you can keep them rf'ing or turn then ff'ing. after there 1 year it's up to the parent around here. lol we are farmers lol

Brigala

CPST Instructor
For now, yes, she is safer in the Snugride if she hasn't outgrown it by either height or weight. The seat has not been tested with a blanket to push it out away from the vehicle seat back like you have. There is no way of knowing whether it is safe or not, so we have to assume it isn't.

Are you aware of the reasons why children need to remain rear-facing through their second year? You have the legal right to make that decision for your child, but at the very least please let it be an informed decision. My recommendation would be to get a higher-weight convertible car seat that is compatible with your vehicle in a rear-facing position. If money is short, you can get a Scenera 40RF at Target for around $50. Once your child outgrew that seat rear-facing (which would probably be by height well before reaching 40 lbs) then assuming that she hasn't outgrown the Evenflo seat yet and it hasn't expired, you could put her back in that in a forward-facing position.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
but where you live? i live in Saskatchewan Canada. so around here it's 1 year nd 20lbs.

I'm not Canadian so I could be wrong, but I believe the laws up there recently changed to one year, 22 lbs, and walking unassisted. Still, the laws of physics apply universally in every country and the legal minimums (just like in the US) are not safety guidelines or recommendations; they are only there for legal enforcement.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Scenera 40RF at Target for around $50.

By the way, I posted this before I read your post that you were in Canada. I'm afraid prices are different up there... you might also want to post in the Canadian and International board for help selecting a new car seat if that's what you end up doing.

Are there any other seating positions you could try with the Evenflo seat that might work better?

but the way i look at it either way you are hit you might get hurt like if they are rfing and you are rear ended it's like a font end crash for them and if they are ff ing in a rear crash it's like they are rear facing. all this rfing is based on front end crashes how ever they are not always front end crashes they are side impact or rear end or front end so it's either way you look at if you are in crash some one may or may not get hurt. so i think i will put the graco in and save the evenflo until she is really out grown the graco or she turn ff ing! thank you everyone for helping!

Baylor

Actually no. That is not true she is still safer rear facing because most rear end crashes are minor compared to front and side impact crashes.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=34958

That is what children can survive when properly secured. The child in the last row behind the driver was reAr faced and had nothing but stitches.

Kaitsmom

Acutually, children who are rfing are MUCH more likely to walk away from a car crash totally uninjured. Children who are ffing are much more likely to have broken legs and even worse, broken necks. Car crashes are the leading cause of death amoungst children 1-14.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=34958

This is one of the women in my FB group, her family was rear ended by a 18 wheeler and all 3 of her kids were rfing and walked away. One of her sons needed stitches because he was hit with debris, but thats all.

If you pull the towel out us the seat still just as tight as with it in?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
In a forward-facing crash, you are dealing with higher speeds and you need the neck and spinal column to be protected from that. That's what rear-facing does. It keeps the head from being thrown forward and damaging or even severing the spinal column.

In a rear-facing crash, the speeds are lower but as in the link posted above the accidents can still be devastating. In that case, that child survived because his head was further away from the point of impact. If he had been forward facing... well, look at the picture and think about where his head would have been.

It is true that some crashes are simply unsurvivable. But rear-facing increases the odds that a child will survive if at all possible. It has been shown to be statistically safer in ALL types of crashes. Obviously there will always be a rare exception where some fluke thing happens in an accident, but you can't plan for those kinds of things.

no. i have been in a bad rear end crash before and it was quit bad people had injuries but lucky for me i did not have my kids and i came out with only minor whip lash. this lady can through a red light going quit fast and hit 2 car behind me and i was still hit very hard. so don't think that a rear end can't be as bad as a front end i have been in both and either way someone may come out hurt. so i will put the graco back in until she turn one or she out grows the graco then i will put the evenflo back in! as the graco has a higher rf rating anyway!

Polola0628

no. i have been in a bad rear end crash before and it was quit bad people had injuries but lucky for me i did not have my kids and i came out with only minor whip lash. this lady can through a red light going quit fast and hit 2 car behind me and i was still hit very hard. so don't think that a rear end can't be as bad as a front end i have been in both and either way someone may come out hurt. so i will put the graco back in until she turn one or she out grows the graco then i will put the evenflo back in! as the graco has a higher rf rating anyway!

Did you replace your car seats after the accident?

Think of it this way. A small child has a very large, heavy head in proportion to their body. In a frontal impact collision, a rear facing child is cradled by the shell of the car seat. A forward facing child's head is thrust forward away from their body (because of the harness holding the body in) and has a high chance of suffering spinal injury, internal decapitation, or death.

In a rear impact collision, a rear facing child seat rebounds upwards towards the back of the vehicle- the child is not thrust towards the back of the vehicle by himself- the seat goes with him, reducing the load on his neck.

The benefits of rear facing extend to side impact collisions as well, I believe, something to do with pre-crash braking. I'm sure someone here knows more about that than I do, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC