Breastpump Question

The Bjorns

Hi All,

When DD was born 3 yrs ago I rented (and eventually kept) a hospital grade pump. I'm pretty sure it was a Medela Lactina--it's been a while since I've looked at the big blue beast in the hall closet. Well, DD#2 is due in August and I'm wondering about replacing just parts and if it's even possible. Step 1 will be to pull it out and make sure everything is still in working order. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the older style breastsheilds with some of the more modern ones that are not just hard molded plastic. Has anyone done this? I just keep seeing all these new and wonderful looking pumps that have so many comfort features. Is it worth getting something newer like a Pump In Style or is the hospital grade rental pump going to be my best bet with perhaps a few new parts?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.
- Diane

ADS

whineandchz

Just give Medela a call. I have always gotten great cs from them otherwise if you are having the baby at a hospital you could contact the lacation consultant there and I am sure she could help as well.

The Bjorns

I don't think I need to replace all the parts. At least when I put it away, everything was working fine. However, I've seen some new styles of breastsheilds (can't find a picture now that I want one:p ) that seem to have cushioning pads that are supposed to mimic baby's sucking more closely. I'll keep hunting for an example...

However, thank you so much for the link for the replacement kit for the Lactina. I think I saw something on Medela's website, too.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The "horns" and tubes are replaceable. Those parts are supposed to be replaced whenever the pump changes users. Becky Flora of Breastfeeding Essentials is super helpful. She should be able to tell you exactly what parts are available (i.e., if they're any better than the ones you already have). You could also just call your local dealer and find out from them. There's no reason to replace the parts if the replacements are the same style as the old ones.

The hospital grade pump should work fine, even after all this time, and should be "better" than even the Pump-in-Style, which is considered one of the "best" pumps out there.

LEAW

Yep, a hospital grade is like 10x better than a PoS err PIS. :)

The motor is better, it's better made, it's more efficient, etc... I don't know that you will find more "comfy" horns, you can however lube up your horns with olive oil or lansinoh before pumping, which will be better for your nipples.

Some of the "like baby" comfy horns are made and marketed by formula companies, and imho, any company that makes $ from bottles/formula isn't going to make a great pump. The only exception to this rule is the Avent Isis which is a hand pump.

I've tried all the "great" pumps that people use (PIS, Ameda, Baley, etc) and a handfull of the lesser pumps (including formula ones) thanks to a great LC friend of mine who collects them... if I had to pump I'd take a hospital pump over all, and if not, then one of the $200+ pumps instead.

The Bjorns

Okay, I'm sticking with my Lactina milking machine! Moooo! I think I will look into a few replacement parts--bottles and horns. I hate lugging around the big blue beast, but at least I don't have far to lug.

Thanks for all your input--it's nice to know from those who've tried bunches of other pumps that it just doesn't get better.

- Diane

MomToEliEm

When I had my first, I used a hospital grade pump for a while and was able then able to use the same horms on my PIS pump I bought. As I recall, I did have to change a connector thing on the ends of the tubes as they were different with the hospital grade then they were with the PIS. I think asking a LC in your area, hopefully someone who rents out hospital grade models, could help you find the correct horns for your unit.

I only used the hard plastic shells so I have no experience with the other newer models. I shouldn't hurt to try them out though and see if they might be better. If they aren't better, you can always go back to the old hard plastic ones you already have.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
we had a baby 16 months ago and another 3 months ago, at different hospitals. I got Medela parts at both hospitals. At the first hospital, the box of parts, horns, tubes, white rubber things and everything I needed were about $40. At the second hospital they gave it to me for FREE. So, I would ask at the hospital.

Also, if you use Avent bottles at all, the Avent adaptors are great. I have only really pumped for our oldest, so I haven't used it a whole lot for our younger 3 kids, but when I used the Medela bottles I would fill them and have to change bottles, so the 9 oz. Avent bottles where great. I am an over producer. I am currently nursing both the 16 month old and 3 month old and keeping up and leaking on occassion.

Stefanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC