Who's got a new Regent? Check something, please?

scatterbunny

There's apparently been some big changes made to the Regent manual, and I'm trying to figure out if it's a mistake, or if all the new manuals read the same way, and if so, WHY on earth Britax made these changes but didn't issue a recall or fix-it stickers for the updated install directions. :confused:

See this thread for those changes I'm talking about: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=19458

So new Regent owners, what does your manual say? Does it give directions for a long and short path for LATCH? Does it say recline bar is required, period (not only for untethered installs, like it always has been, but for ALL installs)?

ADS

arly1983

I have been trying to get answer about this for a LONG while...I have read it backwards and forwards and it just doesn't say directly....It only says the recline bar is required when not top tethered but then it doesn't say it is ok not to use with latch and top tether.....So I am confused....I really wish I knew because I get a MUCH better install without it....

I am hoping someone else can figure it out...My brain has information overload a the moment...

scatterbunny

Arly, you obviously have one of the older manuals then, that isn't so confusing (at least, not as confusing as the latest version, it seems). Scroll down to the bottom of that thread and you'll see that rowena posted pics of her manual, and it does not say, like your manual, "recline bar is required when not top tethered", it just says recline bar is required, period. AND it gives instructions for a long belt path LATCH install, and says a short LATCH install is required for 40-80 pounds, implying it can be used with LATCH to 80 pounds! :eek:

arly1983

Wait a sec, I have two regents, one is still in the box and has DOM of March, do you think it is the new manual? If so I can compare the two.

oxeye

I have a 6/07 DOM Regent. It says the recline bar must be used UNLESS you are using the top tether.

And whoa - just saw the manual pics in that other thread. My Regent's DOM is 19 days older (6/8/07) and my manual looks nothing like that. No mention of a long belt path install for LATCH at all.

So who wants to call Britax tomorrow?

oxeye

So are they saying that you can only use short belt path for children 40-80 pounds? We've all been thinking that LBP is better especially for heavier children.

Crazy. I can't wait to get some answers about this.

I have an email in to our Britax Rep to find out what is going on. You would think that if there was some major change in the seat, they would at least let their vendors know. We were not told of any changes, and all of the Regents that were just delivered (16 total), with June 2007 DOM's have the older manual (09/05 date). I checked them all to make sure.

arly1983

My regent is 3/07 and my manual is 9/05

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?

Currantly, it is installed: Latch-short belt path, no relcline bar, tethered!!!

SHould I change it?

No. Do not change from what your current manual says. Once Britax has addressed this issue, there will be further information posted. However, until that time, continue to use your Regent according to the manual that came with the seat.

groovymom2000

I haven't read the other thread yet, but wouldn't any of these changes also apply to the Husky? I was under the impression that the seat was essentially the same? :confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't read the other thread yet, but wouldn't any of these changes also apply to the Husky? I was under the impression that the seat was essentially the same? :confused:

Well, yeah, IF it does, there's probably going to be a recall (IF this isn't a totally bizarre fluke!)...I would guess... but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing with my Husky for now (no recline bar, long belt path, top tether...)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Agreed. Use whatever installation methods your current manual says to use. If there's a problem with any of them, a recall will be issued.

I'm working to get my hands on a copy of the latest release (which will also then be posted on the SafetyBeltSafe USA tech access area--a really handy use of $125 because the most current instructions are always posted there). I also got a really bizarre email last week from my contact at Britax in response to a question regarding the Regent's short belt path that I had send a few weeks ago, so evidently something has been in the works for a while. We'll see.

Jordynsmama

OMG! I have a 2005 manual as well. :mad: So I have the long path, NO recline bar and top tethered. And our manual says nothing about what weights to use with all the diff installation methods. It doesnt specify anything at all. So that is just trippy that all of a sudden a new manual would be so specific to what methods to use with which weight. I do NOT want to re-install the seat. I like my install. DARN IT. Hopefully someone will know for sure by tonight!
BTW I am worried b/c the manuals really aren't "current" necessarily right?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Okay checked my 05/07 Regent and it's owners manual is a 9/05 manual so mine isn't any different then my 4/06 Regent.

Morganthe

Has anyone managed to contact Britax yet?

I'm really hoping that this whole manual was a typo because there's NO way that the Regent will fit in the Camry now. :(

So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping someone has screwed up with a fluky manual :whistle:

Britax has released a new manual with different install instructions for seats manufactured on or after 06/18/07. The new instructions apply to those seats only. The new manual can be found at www.britaxusa.com and puts limits on when the Long Belt Path and Short Belt Path can be used.

This serves to reinforce the rule to always read your manual before using the car seat. Let us hope that Britax makes some sort of announcement in the future when they change their installation instructions.

rowena___.

i spoke to britax this morning, the new manual is correct for the seats made AFTER 18 june, 2007.

and this is exactly why i read manuals, even for things like blenders. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC