Is it possible? 3 adults + 2 kids, 2011 Subaru Forester

hedgefun

Our niece is coming to stay the weekend next month and we wanted to take her to the farm with a friend's kid. Problem: This means 3 adults and 2 kids would need to fit into my 2011 Forester because our friend doesn't have a car right now.

Child 1: 3.5 y/o, 23#. Not sure of her height, but she's on the 2nd slots of the Nautilus we have (counting slots from the bottom).
Child 2: 2y, 29.5#, 31 inches. Sorry, I don't have a torso height.

The two smallest adults are 130 & 140 lbs, so average but not tiny.

The only seat we personally have is a Nautilus. The 2 year old has a Complete Air in his dad's car. His mom is can try to get it from her ex, but isn't opposed to buying a spare seat because she doesn't currently have one (they solely use public transportation right now, no taxis). It's not a guarantee that he will lend her the seat he has.

I know that a center install is problematic in the Forester because of the seat shape, but at the same time I have never even tried installing a seat there. I tried sitting next to the Nauti in the back seat today and felt squished, but I felt like I could perhaps puzzle between that and a narrow seat and not be miserable. Maybe.

Questions:

(1) Does anyone think the Complete Air would work in this situation?
(2) If not, any other thoughts? Cocorro? I don't think any of us want to spend the $ on a Radian, but I could see us or the friend springing for the CCO.
(3) Anyone think this is just outright impossible to fit? Should we start coming up with Plan B?

TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How about a Scenera? It's far more in line with a budget second seat, will rear face her two year old easily, and is narrow and lightweight.

Wendy

hedgefun

wendytthomas said:
How about a Scenera? It's far more in line with a budget second seat, will rear face her two year old easily, and is narrow and lightweight.

Wendy

I didn't realize the Scenea was narrow! Thanks!

hedgefun

So... went to the BRU site and it doesn't seem like they carry the Scenera in stores, just online. Is there another store that sells the Scenera that allows you to try seats in your car?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera is in my local stores. But it wasn't in NC. So it might be regional.

You could always buy one at Target (a 40 pound rear facing seat) or Walmart (35 pound rear facing seat), try it out in the parking lot, and return it if it doesn't work.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC