HBB in checked bags?

mrswh

I am traveling alone with two kids soon and trying to figure out the easiest car seat configuration so I have to shlep the least amount! I think I'll bring one travel vest and one HBB (Turbobooster). Neither of my kids has a tall enough torso height for a backless booster. In any event - when we bring car seats we do not check them because I fear them being broken or having some sort of damage that makes them unsafe. No biggie, DS sits in his on the plane. But . . . I can't have a kid sit in a HBB on a plane so i'd need to check it. Is there a good way to check it and keep it in one piece? Do I still have to worry about unseen damage with the HBB? I mean, as long as the seatbelt is properly routed that's all that matters, right? Just trying to decide whether to bring a carseat and vest or booster and vest, and I'd rather bring the booster. Thanks for any insight!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Why not check the back portion in a suitcase and bring the booster portion on in a carryon bag?

This was my plan this summer when we were traveling. If you have space for it, this is a good plan.

However, it wasn't working for us because we found the hbb portion took up too much space in our suitcases. I was trying to only use 2 checked suitcases for a three week trip for four people and we needed the space for our stuff.

We ended up putting the backs to two turboboosters in a Radian box and checked the box. I decide that was the best way to protect the backs. We carried on the nbb.

Melanie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What about using the shoulder clip that came with the Turbo to adjust the shoulder belt, and bringing just the backless?

Alternatively, a backless Turbo with the armrests removed (and brought with, but just not sticking up) will fit with four days worth of clothes for three people I just discovered. What about packing the bottom and putting the back in the overhead? Don't forget a screwdriver to screw the screws back into the arms when you get to your destination.

Wendy

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You gotten plenty of good ideas so far. I made my kids carry their boosters through the airport, so it wasn't a hassle for me (the one time we took a hbb, I packed the back in our regular luggage).

I do want to address this:

In any event - when we bring car seats we do not check them because I fear them being broken or having some sort of damage that makes them unsafe. No biggie, DS sits in his on the plane.

No booster--highback or backless--can be used on an airplane seat. It increases head excursion to be boosted up and there are only lap belts on a commercial plane. The best place to put it is under the seat in front of the child or in the overhead bin (I prefer under the seat in front so it doesn't get smashed by other passengers).

Eclipsepearl

On a technicality, it can be used on U.S. aircraft in the air. That means, if your kid wants to see the movie better or see out the window, you can use it, as long as it's not during take-off and landing.

mrswh

Thanks for all the replies! Hmm . . . I didn't realize there was a shoulder belt clip - do you remove it from the HB or is it a separate piece? I don't recall ever seeing it. Will have to look into that and how it works.

Thanks! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC