special needs helmet in car

U

Unregistered

Can someone help? :) I've tried 3 times but just need an answer or opinion.

I have a Playmaker special needs helmet I want to wear as a driver, simply for safety. It's EVA rubber foam. Will this be beneficial in a crash? At all? Note it's very, very light. Lighter than a thick winter hat, so neck load should not be a concern.

Isn't it better than nothing? Or is EVA actually supposed to be pretty good for protection?

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Hello,

I am not aware of any research on this topic for children or even adults, who are generally outside of the scope of this forum. For that reason, and the fact that your previous posts including questionable advertising content, they were ultimately not approved.

Other than a full-fledged HANS device, like those used in racing, I find it likely that the merits of a helmet are marginal at best. In a vehicle with modern frontal and side curtain airbags, they probably offer minimal if any benefit at all. In an older vehicle without airbags, the tradeoff would be the added weight to the head increasing neck load plus any reduction in visibility. Beyond that, I do not think there is any data at all that would likely help you make a choice, either real world injury/fatality data or public domain independent crash testing data.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would agree that frontal and side airbags will provide a better degree of protection. Also, in a side impact, it's the side-to-side motion of the brain hitting the inside of the skull and the synapses (or whatever) snapping from the motion that are more likely to do damage than the risk of blunt trauma.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In addition to what the others have said, I wanted to add that real-life data shows that modern vehicles with lap-shoulder belts, airbags, and crumple zones to protect the driver (and passengers) of a car are very effective in protecting occupants. Some crashes are simply not survivable; in the case of those crashes I doubt a helmet would make any difference.

For the rest, wearing your seatbelt properly, driving the safest car you can (see http://www.informedforlife.org ), and minimizing your risk of BEING in a crash-never drive impaired or ride with an impaired driver; don't drive in extremely inclement weather or on unsafe road conditions; do not talk on the phone or text while driving, not even hands-free; practice proper vehicle maintainance including checking tire pressure frequently, regular oil changes and brake checkups and maintainance, etc.; and practicing defensive driving (you can take a course, if you desire) are the proven best ways we know of to protect yourself from death or serious injury in a crash.

Looking at the helmet you mentioned, I don't know that I can say it would add to the danger of a crash, as it looks very light and unlikely to obscure peripheral vision. Neither do I think it would be of great benefit in a crash. As I mentioned, the BEST way to protect yourself from injury in a crash is to minimize your risk of being in one. After that, wearing your seatbelt, etc.

P.S.- Jennie, synapses are chemical communications between brain cells, they don't snap. ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
P.S.- Jennie, synapses are chemical communications between brain cells, they don't snap. ;)

Yeah, I figured I had the wrong term. I'll go with "snappable thingies in the brain."

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's blood vessels bursting open and brain tissue being pulverized, as I understand it- severe concussion- leading to bleeds and/or clots in the brain.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Everything I've seen has said NOT to wear traditional helmets in the vehicle, so I'm guessing like PPs have mentioned that they do not provide any benefit over properly used active (seat belts, child restraints) and passive (air bags) restraints in the vehicle. I also kind of wonder if there's evidence to suggest that they would actually decrease safety, especially since info that comes with helmets like bicycle helmets (which are primarily EPS) is usually very specific about not wearing for motor vehicle use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC