Question Looking at pickups

Dorothy

Researching pickups as we are thinking of trading. Need a true crew cab like the Chevy 2500HD , Ford F250, etc. Spam me with your thoughts on Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford. TIA

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Does it need to be heavy duty?

My husbands Tundra is awesome for seats and has a true crewcab...its called the CrewMax and it is huge.

Pixels

I got to see these tests done in person:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65OKoXZt4&feature=player_embedded"]Chevy Silverado HD | Ep. 4 | Frame Rigidity: Frame Twist - YouTube[/ame]
Except they didn't put a payload in the Ford. This movie shows a payload in the beds of the trucks. The in-person, up-close (I think there might have been 10 people watching ... I was close enough to touch the trucks) demonstration had no payloads because of what happens to the Ford tailgate. Without a payload, you still can't open the Ford tailgate. Actually the day I watched it, they couldn't open the tailgate on flat ground because at the demo immediately previous, the mechanism broke. They also did the Toyota Tundra, which wasn't quite as bad as the Ford but the Chevy was clearly superior.

My dad drives an F-350 and my FIL drives a Tundra. I hate Chevy, but I was super impressed with the truck demo.

Dorothy

DaniCPST said:
Does it need to be heavy duty?

My husbands Tundra is awesome for seats and has a true crewcab...its called the CrewMax and it is huge.

It does. We need to pull the stock trailer, hay trailer, etc. Funny you mention it, though, bc I was really impressed with our friends' Toyota.

Dorothy

Edit: Quoted wrong post...

Pixels said:
I got to see these tests done in person:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65OKoXZt4&feature=player_embedded
Except they didn't put a payload in the Ford. This movie shows a payload in the beds of the trucks. The in-person, up-close (I think there might have been 10 people watching ... I was close enough to touch the trucks) demonstration had no payloads because of what happens to the Ford tailgate. Without a payload, you still can't open the Ford tailgate. Actually the day I watched it, they couldn't open the tailgate on flat ground because at the demo immediately previous, the mechanism broke. They also did the Toyota Tundra, which wasn't quite as bad as the Ford but the Chevy was clearly superior.

My dad drives an F-350 and my FIL drives a Tundra. I hate Chevy, but I was super impressed with the truck demo.

Cool! Thanks for the link. :) I grew up in Fords, but DH is a Chevy loyalist. We were both blown away by the Dodge interiors (except that stupid short center seat in back). Trying to do our homework over the next several months. ;-)

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't say enough good things about our Dodge MegaCab. Headrests in all three back seat positions, LATCH in all three positions (though that might vary by year), TONS of front-to-back and side-to-side space.

Dorothy

LISmama810 said:
I can't say enough good things about our Dodge MegaCab. Headrests in all three back seat positions, LATCH in all three positions (though that might vary by year), TONS of front-to-back and side-to-side space.

I think we test drove a 2011. It had all the amenities of a minivan but was a pickup! The spaciousness, the included options - I wanted it! ;-) My only gripes were the tether anchors (my current ride has dedicated anchors on the back wall, not those infernal loops), the shallow center back, and that the back seat back doesn't flip down. Everyone (aka, our Chevy-loving friends and fam) keeps saying we won't like it as well as our Chevy, though... Too bad you can't do weeklong test drives, huh?

Dorothy

We don't drive our pickups hard often. It's also the family "car". But this has to be the right combo of form and function! Safe, tough and comfy.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DorothyoutofOz said:
I think we test drove a 2011. It had all the amenities of a minivan but was a pickup! The spaciousness, the included options - I wanted it! ;-) My only gripes were the tether anchors (my current ride has dedicated anchors on the back wall, not those infernal loops), the shallow center back, and that the back seat back doesn't flip down. Everyone (aka, our Chevy-loving friends and fam) keeps saying we won't like it as well as our Chevy, though... Too bad you can't do weeklong test drives, huh?

Are you sure you looked at the MegaCab? It's the one with the extra space behind the back seat, and it does have anchors on the back wall. It doesn't have the shortened middle seat like the Crew Cab.

Dorothy

LISmama810 said:
Are you sure you looked at the MegaCab? It's the one with the extra space behind the back seat, and it does have anchors on the back wall. It doesn't have the shortened middle seat like the Crew Cab.

Oh, no, it wasn't the Mega. Doh! Missed that important distinction in your reply! I wanted to see a Mega, but they didn't have one. Thanks so much for telling me about the anchors and middle seat! Will def be looking for one to test drive! I might be in love... ;-)

ETA- Have you had/are there any known mechanical troubles with these newer Dodged? TIA

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I like the Mega way more than the Crew!

We've had ours for a little over a year and haven't had any issues. There were, I think, two minor recalls for the air conditioner and some other rather insignificant thing. Neither were things that had actually gone wrong with ours, and both were fixed by the dealer, of course.

I'm not a truck person, and honestly that truck is way more than we need now, but I still :heart: it!

Dorothy

LISmama810 said:
Yeah, I like the Mega way more than the Crew!

We've had ours for a little over a year and haven't had any issues. There were, I think, two minor recalls for the air conditioner and some other rather insignificant thing. Neither were things that had actually gone wrong with ours, and both were fixed by the dealer, of course.

I'm not a truck person, and honestly that truck is way more than we need now, but I still :heart: it!

Thanks so much for the info! :)

Dorothy

Ok, so DH wants another Silverado. I think I kinda want the Dodge Mega Cab. But... I just read the new Fords really, truly can haul six people. We are only a family of four, but it would be nice to have the ability to seat six when we have family or friends visiting.

DH used to despise Fords. He said they were too rough-riding. I grew up in Fords, so I don't mind them.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Pixels

FIL's Toyota Tundra also has L/S and head support for the front center seat. I think it's a 2008? Not brand new. I haven't looked at the owner's manual to see if they allow child restraints in the front or not.

luckyclov

It was between the '10 Tundra CrewMax and '10 F-150 SuperCrew when DH was on his mad search last year. He ended up with the F-150 because the one available on the lot was in his color preference and because it already had a hard tonneau cover w/ lock installed.

I wish he had either waited for 2011 to get the F-150 or gone with the Tundra last year...because I really wanted all 3 rear seating positions to have a headrest (the rear center does not in his 2010, but the 2011s do). Outside of that (which likely won't ever be real issue for us), there's no complaints.

ETA: Ah, yes, that's the other thing - the front center in the 2011s (F-150) have a headrest and lap/shoulder belt. The front center in DH's '10 has no headrest and a lap belt only. The manual says to avoid placing child restraints in that position, "if at all possible".

Dorothy

We need a 3/4 ton for pulling stock and hay trailers.

If only Chevy would make their back seat more spacious, safely seat six, and add some more family-friendly amenities below the Denali trim...

Kaitsmom

My dad just bought an F150 supercrew, its amazing on the inside. I know you said you need a F250 but he said the interiors of all the ones he looked at were the same. Installing carseats in it is SO easy and there is so much room its great. The front middle seat also is fully functioning with a lap shoulder belt, but I suddenly cant remember about a headrest!

Ive never been a big Ford fan, but everyone I know who has bought a 2010/2011 has loved them and I have been impressed. Im looking at an Expedition once I go back to work.

What about a suburban? I dont know its towing capacity but its built on a Silverado base.

bubbaray

DH got a 2011 F-150 in June. He wanted a GM/Chev, but quickly ruled them out compared to the Ford. *I* prefer the Dodge and wanted the 3500HD Diesel, but price was an issue (ie., that Dodge was about double what the Ford cost).

HOWEVER, if I needed to pull stock and hay, there is no doubt in my mind I'd skip the 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons and go straight to the 1t/350 or 3500 series. I'd also go diesel -- much better for towing and using as a work truck.

For the price difference, you're better off getting a bigger truck than you think you'll need -- there is never too much power when it comes to hauling!

This is JMHO (and DH's), but I think the Cummins diesel totally rocks and none of the other diesels come close. We went with gas (not diesel) because we only haul a trailer and only rarely -- mostly our truck is used for city driving (which is hilarious as it doesn't even fit in some parkades, LOL).

Skip the Suburban, it won't have the hauling capacity you need in a true work truck.

HTH

bubbaray

My dad just bought an F150 supercrew, its amazing on the inside. I know you said you need a F250 but he said the interiors of all the ones he looked at were the same. Installing carseats in it is SO easy and there is so much room its great. The front middle seat also is fully functioning with a lap shoulder belt, but I suddenly cant remember about a headrest!

Ive never been a big Ford fan, but everyone I know who has bought a 2010/2011 has loved them and I have been impressed. Im looking at an Expedition once I go back to work.

Yes, the center front has an integrated l/s belt AND a headrest. There are differences between the 2010 and 2011 in the F150's, mainly in the engines (the 2011s have more towing capacity and better mileage in the V8 -- its basically a 5.0 8 that Ford has been making for years, the Eco engine is a 6 and is new for 2011 and is NOT for a work truck). Not sure about the F350s.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you do go diesel, the Dodge comes with a built-in exhaust break, which is awesome for towing. I'm not sure if it's standard or a tow package option or something. I think the other brands need to have an exhaust break added aftermarket, though don't quote me on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC