Fave Canadian seats?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My cousin & her husband are expecting and due in November. She's an only child and none of her friends have kids, so she's looking for input on car seats. She'll pretty much get whatever I recommend, but I'm not sure what's available in Canada (they are in Vancouver).

Can you give me your favorite infant seat as well as a convertible? My aunt (baby's grandma) wants a seat for her car as well, so I was thinking a Radian for her car so it will work from birth on.

What are the prices there?

Are the weight limits different?

Is there a Babies R Us or similar store in the greater Van area where we can go look at seats & play with them? I'm really close to the border so I was planning on going up for the day and taking DD2 and trying her in different seats so they can get an idea of how the actual baby fits in the seat ;)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For an infant seat, I highly recommend the graco safe seat 1. If you watch for sales at Sears, you can get it for pretty much the same price as a snugride. It is also carried by ToysRUs, although I've never seen their's significantly on sale. It has the same 32" and 30lb weight limit in Canada as it does in the US.

The other infant carriers you'll find in Canada are the safety 1st designer 22 seats in various patterns and names, evenflo aura, evenflo embrace, graco snugride, cosco arriva and peg perego along with the grace safeseat 1.

What kind of car does g-ma drive? The Radian does take up quite a bit of space when installed rf'ing - if g-ma usually drives alone or if a passenger could sit in the backseat, then it wouldn't be a big deal. The other thing would be making sure that it's compatible with her car. If g-ma has LATCH, then it's usually no problem. The Radian now goes to 65lbs in Canada, although there are still some on store shelves with the 48lb weight limit. We have the Marathon in Canada as well and it still has the 48lb weight limit - no word yet as to if britax plans to raise the weight limit or not. The marathon here sells for $299 and the radian ranges in price from $199 at canadian tire to more depending on where you buy and if you get the premier which has the extra cushions. Those are my picks for convertible car seats, because they're the best value for money and will last most kids until booster age. The Radian has the highest top slots of any seat on the Canadian market, and the Marathon is tied with the Apex.

The SS1 will fit so many babies past age 1, that mom may just want to get a 2nd base for g-ma's car.

I'd recommend avoiding the Bay just because their prices are more expensive and I've never seen any really good sales there. TRU has a good selection and sometimes has good sales. I've never seen the SS1 on sale by itself - although if she's looking for a travel system I have seen the travel system with the SS1 on for a good deal.

Sears also has a good selection of infant seats. The thing with Sears is that you'll want to buy when the car seats are on sale - which is quite often. Sears will also often have super saturday where the first "x" number of people through the door get a coupon for $20 off their purchase. This is how we got our $190 SS1 for $140.

Anyways, that would be my recommendation - if the space issue in g-ma's car is ok, and the radian will install well, it's a great option to get for g-ma's car. We also have the Scenera here - although it sells for $99, sometimes on sale for less.. the lowest I've seen it is $80. It could be a good option for g-ma's car, it really depends on how often g-ma is going to be transporting the baby.

We have a ton of the 3-in-1 seats here under various names, and they take up a good half of most car-seat convertible sections around my area anyways. For the price of the 3-in-1, she can buy a Radian that will last a long time, so I'd direct her away from the 3-in-1's just for that reason alone. The evenflo Titan and Triumph are the same here as they are in the US. Nice seats, but short shell and outgrown by height long before 40lbs.

So for a long lasting convertible - either the Radian or Marathon are pretty much the only choices. By the time you buy one of the smaller convertibles and then also buy a combination seat, you'll have spent as much money as you would've on the radian, so in the long run the radian is worth it. There are some baby boutiques in the Vancouver area that I'm sure sell the Radian. I'd have her look in the phone book and call a few that are relatively close to her and she'll probably find one. I think TJ's kids might have a store in that area... And I know for sure that they have recent DOM on their radians and they've been restickered to 65lbs. So that may be the way she wants to go.

Hope that helps some. :)

eta: The maximum rf'ing weight limit on all currently available CDN seats is 30lbs.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the info!

I'm not sure what car the g'ma drives, I think it's a teeny little sporty one (she had a midlife crisis lol) but I think she's getting a new one. I'll update when I know more. I do know that my cousin & her hubby have a big Dodge quad-cab truck (2005 or 2006) and a late model sedan as well.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I second everything Trudy said. I just wanted to add...

Looking for a convertible is totally not necessary at this point, especially if you go with the Safeseat1. It will last such a long time that by the time you need to think about looking for a convertible there may be newer, nicer ones on the market and all of the 65lbs limit seats will actually be 65lbs by that time. Right now they are still trying to get rid of old stock that still only goes to 48lbs.

I would get the SS1 and a second base for Grandma's car and call it a day for the next year - 18 months at least. ;)

Remember that if the carrier gets too heavy to carry around, you can leave it in the car and treat it like a convertible - just taking the baby in and out. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Babies World in Port Coquitlam has really good customer service and they are really knowledgable. They carry Britax convertables, Graco infant seats, Peg infant seats, a few Graco Convertables (not many) and some Cosco AOE (maybe 1 :confused: they don't recommend them).

My Favorite Canadian seats would be:
Infant:
Graco SS1 ($149-189)
Graco SR ($149)
Convertable:
Britax Marathon ($299)
Sunshind Kids Radian (Canadian Tire, $189-199)
For a spare seat I like:
Cosco Scenera ($79-99)
AOE (because it is easy to change the height adjust) ($129-159)
I added prices, they are sale prices to non-sale prices.

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks!

About the SS1, how do older babies tolerate them? Both of my kids seem to much prefer a convertible to the infant seat, because of the recline. Does the SS1 have the option of being more upright?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Thanks!

About the SS1, how do older babies tolerate them? Both of my kids seem to much prefer a convertible to the infant seat, because of the recline. Does the SS1 have the option of being more upright?

Most vehicles require that you have the SS1's foot all the way down on the base to get the appropriate angle for a newborn. Simply pop the foot back up and you've adjusted the recline angle to be more upright once your newborn has more head control. So, unless you have super flat seats and don't need that foot down at all, it should be simple to adjust the angle to be more upright.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Ok great, I don't have any experience with Graco seats. We had a Combi seat for DD2 and it required the seat to be at 45 degrees, so I didn't know if other infant seats could be more upright ;)

I will definitely recommed a SS1 with extra bases, and when they are ready for a convertible we will cross that bridge when we get there :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Ok great, I don't have any experience with Graco seats. We had a Combi seat for DD2 and it required the seat to be at 45 degrees, so I didn't know if other infant seats could be more upright ;)

I will definitely recommed a SS1 with extra bases, and when they are ready for a convertible we will cross that bridge when we get there :)

All infant seats should be allowed to be more upright. The warning about 45 degrees is put in the manual to protect newborn's airways. Newborn's require a 45 degree angle to keep their airway open and since infant seats are usually only used for the first few months, the warnings are there to protect the babies.

Older children that meet the requirements of a particular seat to rearface are safer at a more upright angle provided they have the head control to keep their head upright and it's not flopping over when they are sleeping.

Lea_Ontario

I will add my recommendation of the Graco SS1 to the others.
We didn't get it until our baby was a few months old, and I seriously wish we'd gotten it before he was born.

My middle child - who is almost 3 - is just a tiny bit too big for the SS1 (her head is even with the shell), and only 1 pound too heavy for it.

Here's the baby - at 5 months old :
safeseat_5054.jpg

And my daughter, at 2 yrs 8 months old :
SS1_5588.jpg

SS1_5590.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

The adjuster on the SS1 base is also so user friendly that it's easy to get varying angles and just slight adjustments are possible. When we made my ds's seat more upright, I moved the knob a half turn and reinstalled after each car ride until we reached the point of being too upright, then turned the know a half turn to raise the foot a bit, reinstalled and we were good. It's a really nice adjustment and the base installs so easily and quickly that it was easy to do. Plus it has a built in locking clip. :thumbsup:

And ditto to everything Jen said about the angle.

We also bought my ds the SS1 when he was 5.5 mos old and I wish I would've gotten it from the start. He never complained in his snugride, but he's tall torso'd and outgrew it by 6mos or so. He's 8mos now and has about 3" of shell above his head - which is still a good amount of room since growth slows down at this age. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC