Question How does a booster fit with protruding, non-removable headrests?

gigi

My car has headrests that move up but won't come off (Subaru Tribeca). I am putting in a Turbo but in the higher back support positions, the vehicle headrest causes a gap between the Turbo and the vehicle seat. A gap is prohibited in the Turbo manual. As far as I can tell this would happen with almost any booster. Am I wrong? What do I do for taller kids?!?

To give you reference on the vehicle headrest height, my Maestro fits under the headrest in the highest position with 1" between them, so it isn't terribly high clearance for a HB booster.

What do I do?

ADS

Brianna

I would hope by the time the child was tall enough to need it up high enough where it was a problem that it could be used in LBB mode, or that I was ready for a new vehicle.

henrietta

My car has headrests that move up but won't come off (Subaru Tribeca). I am putting in a Turbo but in the higher back support positions, the vehicle headrest causes a gap between the Turbo and the vehicle seat. A gap is prohibited in the Turbo manual. As far as I can tell this would happen with almost any booster. Am I wrong? What do I do for taller kids?!?

To give you reference on the vehicle headrest height, my Maestro fits under the headrest in the highest position with 1" between them, so it isn't terribly high clearance for a HB booster.

What do I do?

It just depends on the booster. My mom has protruding headrests that do NOT move in her older Infiniti, and it works fine w/my son's FPSV booster. Sometimes, keeping the headrest in the lower position works better, sometimes moving it all the way up works better.

If you still can't find something that works in your price range, I would check into using a backless Harmony Literider or taking the back off the Turbo you already have. Obviously, it also depends on how mature the child is. My 6 yr old can do occasional rides in a backless. I don't prefer it, but sometimes we've had to use the booster that fits.

hths

henrietta

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are the Compass boosters, at least one of which is designed with a forward-leaning headrest-accomodating headwing portion... I think the Evenflo Big Kid has been mentioned as working with some, too. (Either of those needs to have the fit of the child checked in it before buying as they don't position the belt well in every vehicle for every child anywhere near universally, though they will work for some children in some vehicles.)

Barring that, if you have lower anchors in that position, you can try the Clek Oobr, which allows use with just the top of the booster in contact with the vehicle seat in recline mode (which requires lower anchors) because it has a titanium-reinforced frame.

Other than that, you can get a backless booster, which do provide almost the same level of protection (as long as the belt is positioned properly at all times.)

Traquy

The rental car we used last week had the protruding built in headrests in the back seat and our Compass 540 worked just fine with them. I thought it would be a problem when I first put it in there, but once she was seated and belted in the seat sort of settled into the spot and the headrest wasn't a problem.

gigi

I put the headrest down and I think the gap is okay...the picture in the manual is similar to the gap in my car (flush until midway up child's back where the piece that goes up starts, small gap, then headrest is flush with vehicle headrest). I tried to get a picture but couldn't. I'll do it tomorrow.

The turbo only fits under the raised headrest in its lowest setting, which is too short for my 4.5 yo that is too young to use the seat (not officially of course, but too young for my comfort).

The booster will be used by my 5.5 y.o nephew...i'm not doing backless. Either this works or the turbo goes back, I put my nephew in my son's Maestro and my son goes in his RSTV.

My bigger concern is long term, because in 1.5ish years my son will be in a booster and I need a high back that fits! Which ones are known to work best with non-removable headrests?

Price is not a concern and he will be fairly substantial 60% height-weight 5.5 or 6 yo boy (he's about 42" and 42 pounds now at almost 4.5, all muscle).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As mentioned above, the Compass and Evenflo Big Kid are two to try, and the Clek Oobr is extremely tall and allows use with only the headrest in contact in recline mode (in a spot with lower anchors.)

gigi

ketchupqueen said:
As mentioned above, the Compass and Evenflo Big Kid are two to try, and the Clek Oobr is extremely tall and allows use with only the headrest in contact in recline mode (in a spot with lower anchors.)

Thank you!! I didn't see your post until after I posted. I will post an installed picture first thing tomorrow morning to verify the booster fits the car safely as it is currently installed.

Last edited:

gigi

I just posted this picture in a separate thread in the install section, but thought i'd put it here too.

The manual shows where the vehicle seat and restraint stop touching.

2011-09-22091358.jpg

Last edited:

gigi

Just wanted to update that I tried the Compass b570 and the fit was FAR worse than the Turbo. The Compass booster itself is really lovely - sturdy, easy to use, great belt fit on 42, 42" 4 yo (just to see...he's too young to ride in it) and 46", 46 lb 5 yo. Sadly the fit in the Subaru Tribeca was awful, especially with LATCH attached.

I ended up using the HBTB for the weekend with my nephew because I felt the fit was not vastly different than the proper fit illustration in the manual. When I switch my son to a booster at 49 lbs (when he outgrows our beloved Maestro), I am going to first try an SG-L and if it doesn't fit flush I'll go for the Clek Oobr.

Thanks to Ketchup Queen for her help and recommendations!!!

R

RileyDM

Hello! I'm wondering if you found a high-back booster that fits well in your Subaru Tribeca? I Have a similar issue with the headrest in my '12 Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm currently trying to find a high back booster that fits well. The new Britax Parkway SGL does not fit. I have an older Parkway SG (5 y.o.) and it fits ok, but I'm not quite happy with it. Most of the back of the older Parkway is flush against the car's backseat, but then the headrest with wings ends up being pushed forward by the headrest of the car. From what I can tell, the heavier car seats like the Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus would be the best, as they have some extra "bulk" in the back of the carseat which gives more space to clear the car's protruding headrest. However, my daughter is 8 and I'd rather not pay for the 5 point harness option which we will not be using. If you found a good booster, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Traquy

Riley, I will be watching your answers with interest. My Mom is planning to buy a Hyundai Santa Fe (how do you like it so far?) and my 4.5 yr old and I visit her often so I will need to know if my Compass will work or if I will need a new seat to use in her car. We travel with the Compass.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC