Losing the rear facing battle? Trying to fit rear facing seats is frustrating!

U

Unregistered

Sadly I received a bad recommendation for my 2010 Audi A4 to get a Safety 1st Complete Air with the idea of it lasting a long time for rear facing. It really is not safe for a front seat passenger as their knees end up against the glove box. So we moved it to the 2010 VW GTI and it fits slightly better there, especially since it does not have a front seat passenger as often. So we moved the 4 year old Britax Roundabout to the Audi since it fits better, but still limited amount of front passenger seat room.

So my issue... my son is big, 97th percentiles height and weight. He's easily 26 lbs and 32 inches and of course long in the torso at 12-13 months. I noticed his head is getting close to the top of the seat, but still below 1 inch for now. My husband is always pushing to turn him around, but I don't want to yet. Any suggestions for cost effective alternatives? I'm not afraid to spend money on a seat if it will actually be used for awhile. (I wish I had not been stubborn and tried to keep the safety first, even still, my son never seems comfortable in it, his head always seems to be pushed forward.)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How about the Maxi Cosi Pria, any larger Britax will fit, the Evenflo Triumph 65.

Dorel says the Complete Air passes testing at 30 degrees. Which is why it was recommended. But if you'd rather not, the other seats will fit.

How tall is your husband? Mine is 5'10" and my True Fit will take some work, but I think it'll fit behind him.

I would never ever turn a 12 month old around forward facing if there is any other way to make it work. Including using the Complete Air more upright (which I'd do anyway). He's a year away from the AAP's *bare minimum* for forward facing.

Try putting it on your husband to find actual evidence that forward facing at this age is safe. Until your husband can find credible data, your son stays rear facing. Since there isn't any, that'll at least get you to two years old.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
I agree- I'd use the Complete Air at 30 degrees as well, but if that makes you uncomfortable, there are several seats that would work.

Keeanh

Yes, I'd use the Complete Air more upright before I turned a child forward. They said it passed testing. I'm pretty sure the CA rear faces to 40" and the TOP of the shell (not 1"). Although that would be the main shell, not the headrest. Can you post some pictures?

U

Unregistered

Is there an easy way to know if I have it installed at 30 degrees? I have always found the complete air hard to get the line level with the ground. I think I have already pushed that limit? Basically I guess if I see the line 15 degrees above the ground level. At least now knowing this I can feel better if it is not perfectly level.
thank you.
I would try to not turn around the complete air, but I am afraid if he quickly outgrows the britax and I have to turn him around he might object to being front in one and rear in the other, but a battle I'll have to deal with just like I sometimes battle getting him in the seat!! Thank you for all of your thoughts and suggestions. Always appreciated.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most kids don't care being rear in one and forward in the other.

But I'd pick up a Scenera or Evenflo Tribute or Titan or *something* taller for a 12 month old to rear face in for at least another year. I wouldn't turn him forward.

And yes, put the line about 18 degrees more upright than level.

Wendy

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If you have a smartphone there are several free apps out there for measuring angle for both Android and iphone. One of these can help you if you don't feel comfortable eyeballing it.

calihannah

I also don't love the CA, but I made it work in DH's 2009 BMW 3-series wagon so that we could rear-face DD1 in that car to 3.5. She was in a TrueFit in that car before that, until she hit 35lbs. The 3-series back seat is similar to the Audi, IIRC. I'm 5'10" and could fit in front of either of those seats as a passenger until I was ~30 weeks pregnant. We moved DD's CA behind my 6'4" DH at that point, and it was tight but did fit in a way that he could drive. It was installed right at 30 degrees.

Here is the True Fit -- unfortunately I don't have any pics of the CA -- but you can see how upright it was:

IMG_8524.JPG

IMG_8527.jpg

lourdes

I also have a small car and the CA, it is in between 30 to 35 degrees and the front passenger has a small leg room, I am overweight and I fit in front if I want to but a preferred to ride in the back seat!

longstocking

Both of my boys ages 2 and 3 had to be turned fairly early. Both are 25-29 pounds. We have a similar situation that RF doesn't work in our poorly designed Grand Vitara. It's sad but no other option unless someone hands me another car.

Vroomzz

Finally registered! Thanks again for all of your suggestions, opinions and help.

I think the (newer ?)Audi A4 seat design just does not work well with car seats. Maybe the angle of the base of the rear seat combined with the angle of the front seat. I need a noodle with the BR to reach level. (Thanks for the app suggestion, I'll definitely check that out for leveling!)

My husband doesn't think our son will like one car rear face the other front face, but I will try when all else fails. I agree, he'll survive. For now, I debate what exactly is 1 inch over his head, to the very top, to where the top rolls over, etc. I am also taking extra care in buckling him down to prevent slack. And I hope he stops growing for a couple more months at least. I would need to replace the BR with a taller seat, but not take up more horizontal space. Practically impossible? I will check out the other seats suggested. Maybe a trip to the store for some fitting options. I will try to post pictures of my current setup for people to at least reference in the future.

I used a Baby Trend Infant seat and figured I'd just suffer through it. There was not much room for the front seat passenger. He grew out of it quickly since he is so tall, same issue I am now having with the BR. Then we found out after suffering with the CA in the Audi for awhile that the VW GTI had more room for the RF car seat! Baby Trend Infant seat took up more space than the BR, but less than the CA. I had tried fitting other convertible seats, at the time I was going to replace the infant seat, but did not think of leveling the seat when test fitting! Lesson Learned!!! (One of those stupid duh moments before the baby was sleeping regularly!)

Right now my son is just over 13 months and 26lbs 32+? inches and his teacher was just pointing out she thought he looked taller. (Which I believe since I just had to replace his shoes to a size 6.5 XW) To any one who has a concern about a small kids, be happy you don't have to deal with this!

Vroomzz

Thanks jourdysmom, That's exactly what I found for reference here. I know he is close, my debate is how close for comfort since he's just over a year.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
The level line on the side is indicating a full recline, if your going to do 30 degrees, that line will not be level to the ground. While you are absolutely right it's not safe to have a front passenger at the dash, with that 30 degree recline, you should be OK. I can fit a Radian and other big seats more upright in my DH's Vibe, which has very, very little space.

Cath3114

Is his torso long? My DD is 13.5 months, 31" and has tons of room above her head in the MA70.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

KaiLing

Right now my son is just over 13 months and 26lbs 32+? inches and his teacher was just pointing out she thought he looked taller. (Which I believe since I just had to replace his shoes to a size 6.5 XW) To any one who has a concern about a small kids, be happy you don't have to deal with this!

My son was 30 lbs at 12 months, 36 at 24 months. I don't remember his heights off hand (he's almost 40" now at 2y9 months), but he's all torso, and he's taller than any child his age I've ever actually seen in person. I'm 5'9", his dad is 6'9": I call him North America's Largest Toddler.

He outgrew RF by height in the MyRide, a bunch of Britaxes and the Scenera *not before* 2 years 2 months. I'd be shocked if your big kid beat my great big giant kiddo to outgrowing any of these seats. I'd be amazed if your kid had outgrown the Scenera 40RF at 12 months--that's a $40-$60 seat, a bargain for keeping your kid 500% safer. The MyRide fits everywhere I've put it except behind my husband (but I don't put anything behind him).

Just so you know, there are older Roundabouts that are much shorter than the new ones, but the new ones are taller like the other Britaxes. A MyRide is much taller than the older Roundabout my cousin is using.

DanaherMama

Vroomzz that sounds pretty normal for us, my 11 month old is over 33 in and 25lbs so I feel your pain ;) keeping him rear facing is still definitely best and do able for a long time! :) my almost 3 year old who is tall also fits rear facing in a few seats still... It can be done for years to come;) and it depends less on total height and more on torso height ;) good luck fighting the good fight! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Can you post a side view and face on photo in the seat with the seat installed so we can see how much room he has? We can probably also tell you if it can go more upright for a better fit. you can blur out his face if you are more comfortable that way :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC