Flying alone with 2 in carseats

U

Unregistered

Hello,

This Novemeber I will be flying with my 3 1/2 yr old and 5 yr old. It will just be me and the kids , so no extra hands. The 5 yr old has a Radian which I've heard can be folded up and carried on my back. I've never tried it. The 3 year old has a big clunky Recaro. Both are pretty heavy seats. I haven't flown with them before so I'm new at the whole parent on a plane thing. We do have a Marathon which we could use in place of the Recaro, if it would be a better option.

How in the world do I accomplish this? Can you walk me through all the steps?

My 5 year old has Aspergers and I really need to have at least one hand free to hold on to her .

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I would do would be to get a luggage cart and bungee cords, and put the Radian on the car (open), and then the Marathon/Recaro on top of it, then bungee them together. That way you can pull the carseats, have your 3.5 year old hold onto the handle with you, and the 5 year old hold your hand. It might help to turn the top carseat upside down on the cart. Fiddle with them to see what the best configuration is. Check your luggage, and have each of you carry a backpack.

HTH

Wendy

Jan06twinmom

Can you also have someone go to the gate with you? My understanding is that you can request permission for a non-ticketed person to go through security. I think that would be helpful for you to get through security, especially with your 5yo.

Also see if you can arrange for someone to meet you at the airport when you arrive at your destination.

Melanie

gigi

I would go buy either 2 Maestros or a Maestro/Scenera or Tribute depending on the size of the 3 yo. Together the 2 seats would weigh less than one of your seats. Bungee them together and put them on a luggage cart or rolling suitcase through airport. Each kid wears a backpack with their stuff if possible. Have 3.5 y.o pull cart/suitcase (mine could) if your older one needs more attention. I travel A LOT with my kids and never wanted to bring even one heavy seat, never mind 2.

My 4 y.o. pulls a full size rolling backpack when we travel so if he poops out on me, I can wear it and keep hands free for baby, stroller, and carseats.

You can do it!!! Plan ahead, take your time, remain calm, and don't worry about anyone but yourselves (if the guy behind you is late that is HIS problem not yours!)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Can you also have someone go to the gate with you? My understanding is that you can request permission for a non-ticketed person to go through security. I think that would be helpful for you to get through security, especially with your 5yo.

Also see if you can arrange for someone to meet you at the airport when you arrive at your destination.

Melanie

:yeahthatlove: A good friend of mine has two preschool age kiddos with special needs, and flew alone with them + car seats. I don't know exactly what she had to do, I know she contacted the airport first but she was able to have her husband come to the gate with them to help wrangle the kids and all their stuff.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can you also have someone go to the gate with you?

I don't know if it depends on the airport, but I've heard them referred to as 'Gate Passes' (sometimes it helps to use the right lingo. ;)) Usually the airline counter will issue them when you check in. :)

morninglori

I've traveled alone with my 2 many times. My most used setup was to bring the Radian with two backpack straps and carry that on my back, I use the gogokidz travelmate with the marathon. I check one larger roller bag with all our clothes and each kid has their little rolling backpack with their sweaters/snacks/toys. I usually have my laptop bag too.

The gogokidz/marathon would either carry stuff or a child. I also had a helper (usually my DH on the outbournd flights) get a gate pass to help me in the terminal. The only time I was unable to get someone into the terminal was when I arrived really late, and the TSA checkpoint was closed so my dad couldn't help me from the gate to baggage, but I got some help from a nice fellow passenger.

For my most recent flight (June) with the kids, I had a Go Hybrid seat for DD which I carried on and stowed in the overhead bin, and I had the Radian on the gogokidz travelmate for DS. It was nice only having to install one seat on the plane. I still checked one large bag and we each had our carryons.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC