Question Compromising on safety...

P1ally

I've been on the hunt for the perfect van for a while, and it's so frustrating. I'm looking at 2006-2008 certified used Siennas or Odys. But I keep running into a problem. With the Siennas, I can find the right trim level and miles for the right price, but no stability control! The Odysseys have stability control, but the gas mileage sucks on the lower trim levels. (MPG is a deal breaker- my commute is 30miles each way.) Going to one of the better trim levels (EX-L or touring) is big bucks.. I'm already going to spend 3k over what I originally set my budget at.

So WWYD? Hold out for the perfect van, or buy one without stability control (traction control, w/e it's called):confused:

ADS

tl01

Well, i would calculate out how long it will take to break even on the gas mileage increase on the cheaper ody... Over the more expensive with one. So let's say it is $1000 cheaper... How many miles until you reach that point?

If you tell me your price ranch and mileage preference, I'll keep an eye out. I need something to do when I'm nursing DS2 for the 6th time at night;). Are you only doing CPO?

V

VanIsleMommy

IMO if I couldn't find the features I wanted WITH stability control, I would just buy a really good set of tires. Traction control isn't worth anything if you're driving around on bald tires :)

tl01

So I was a little bored while nursing DS2. I decided to calculate the difference based upon gas mileage. You will save approx $165 a year by buying the model with the better gas milage with the Ody. So, if you are thinking of an Ody, and you find a great deal on a nice van that is a lower trim level... consider how long you'd have to drive to pay the extra in mileage. If the van was just $1000 less, you'd have over 6 years at the increased gas price to pay off the savings. If the van was an even bigger savings... say $2000 less then you'd have 12 years. This is based on the epa estimate for both vans driving 15K a year... a combo of highway and city driving. My guess is you won't have the van for 12 years, so, assuming the lower trim level has the safety features, I'd forgo the gas savings. Does that make sense?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
IMO if I couldn't find the features I wanted WITH stability control, I would just buy a really good set of tires. Traction control isn't worth anything if you're driving around on bald tires :)

That is true, but it is also true that even the best tires cannot do what a stability control system does. Both are proving to be essential.

Traction control alone (without stablity control) is not an essential safety feature.

V

VanIsleMommy

That is true, but it is also true that even the best tires cannot do what a stability control system does. Both are proving to be essential.

Traction control alone (without stablity control) is not an essential safety feature.

oops I read this as traction control but she was speaking about stability control, my mistake. I assume stability control reduces the rollover risk?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yes, and to help prevent loss of control in various other situations.

Traction control alone generally allows a little power to move from one wheel to another, in case a wheel is slipping. It can help to get going a little quicker in some slippery situations.

You're in San Diego. I'd be willing to compromise without stability control if you can find what you want.

Out of all the cars I've driven/ridden in, I've only had stability control kick in once in SoCal. And it was when we did NOT want it to kick in (middle of the street after a rain waiting to make a left turn). I've had it kick in in NorCal when I prolly wanted it to, but never in SoCal. Course, it's a little like airbags, but at the same time, not b/c it's not a last line of defense thing like airbags but more preventive measure. However, in SoCal, it's just so rare to encounter a situation where you'd need it. Particularly while driving a minivan.

As further clarification, stability control kicked in on a BMW that one time. My friend goosed the start harder (altho still not really hard at all; not like he was racing or anything but simply trying to avoid oncoming traffic) than I imagine a typical minivan driver would.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC