Is a booster safe for tiny 6 year old

U

Unregistered

Hello I am new to this board and am hoping I can get some much needed advice. I have a daughter who just turned 6 a few days ago. She is extremely thin and only weights about 28lbs fully clothed and is 45.5 inches. We currently have 2 regents for her one in my car one in dh car. She will be starting grade one in september and me and another mom will be carpooling 3 days a week. She will drop off and I will be picking up. My husband and I are thinking of getting dd a booster to use because putting a regent in the carpool moms car is not an option she doesnt have enough space in her vehicle and she would need to leave the regent at school with my daughter. We recently tried dd in her cousins parkaway for a test ride and she sat great in it. I would be buying a Compass B510 booster though because it does fold and you can buy a carry case so it would be really easy for the other mom to drop the seat off at school with my daughter. I know most boosters say 40lb min but my dd is 6 and average height so I figure if we go by weight dd wont be able to use a booster till 10. So what do you all think is it safe to have my daughter sit in a booster as a spare seat it would be no more than 30 minutes a week she would be in it and she will still always be harnessed in our cars.

ADS

scatterbunny

No, because there are no boosters that allow a child under 30 pounds to use them.

What vehicle does the carpool mom drive (year, make and model)? What other kids/seats does she have in the vehicle?

Are you POSITIVE she's just 28 pounds?

Morganthe

Even if she was 30lbs, I would not recommend a Compass for her. They're wider built on the inside and probably would not provide enough side support for her.
If she is 30lbs, Britax and maybe even a Recaro Start might work. They're a little more supportive and narrower.
The Start is used in Europe from 20lbs up in conjunction with an Impact cushion to 40lbs. But you are required to use a top tether with the Start.

just some thoughts.
good luck :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Until she is 30 pounds she simply cannot ride in any booster on the US market.

And that is 30 pounds fully dressed, it's not an arbitrary number, it's a safety requirement.

How tall is she?

supercrunch

wow!
and everyone thinks my 39 lbs 45.5" dd is a stringbean ;)

A booster just isn't an option at that weight.
I would check how much room she would have left in a Graco Cargo or Evenflo Chase. You should be able to find either at a Babies R Us or Target.

If she is too tall, the Radian would be the best option.

Connor's Mom

Even if it where OK by law to use a booster, I don't think that I would feel comfortable placing a child with her weight/height proportions in a booster. Being that she is almost half the average weight of a 6 year old when she is fully clothed and at normal height I would think that she would be very fragile. I think that she defiantly needs the 5-point harness and the amount of time that she spends in it a week is of no matter. The other mom is as subject to an accident in that short a distance as anyone else is at any other time. I don't now about others, but I would also think that rear facing would be a better option as well because she is so thin. I guess that I am finding it difficult to picture a child with this weight to height ratio would have much muscle mass either.
I with scatterbunny, I would have to know what the other mom drives and how many other seats have to thought about before I could make a suggestion other than the Radian.

Suzibeck

What about the Safeguard Go? I hear it is very easy to install, if the carpool car has LATCH, and it has it's own carry case.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
And I thought Aiden was a stringbean! He's 5 yrs, 35lbs, 44in, 16.5in torso... he's still got 1.5 - 2" of growing room left in his Radian.

I think a Radian would be a great choice for your daughter.

Definitely NO booster... she's no where near big enough.

MumtotinyM

Thank you all for your helpful replys. I know I have an extremely small daughter. She did weight about 34lbs but recently got sick and went down to 28lbs she so active that its hard for her to gain weight but Im hoping she will gain some soon the doctor says she healthy though. I will go this weekend with my daughter and she what harness seats might work I will definatly check out the radian. The mom I was going to carpool with has a 2006 Mercedes car Im not sure the exact model. If I can not find a good spare seat I guess I wont be carpooling. Thanks again for all your advice I greatly appreciate it.

Makenzy~6~riding in madison and onyx regents

scatterbunny

Thank you all for your helpful replys. I know I have an extremely small daughter. She did weight about 34lbs but recently got sick and went down to 28lbs she so active that its hard for her to gain weight but Im hoping she will gain some soon the doctor says she healthy though. I will go this weekend with my daughter and she what harness seats might work I will definatly check out the radian. The mom I was going to carpool with has a 2006 Mercedes car Im not sure the exact model. If I can not find a good spare seat I guess I wont be carpooling. Thanks again for all your advice I greatly appreciate it.

Makenzy~6~riding in madison and onyx regents

Can you tell us her torso height? Sitting against a wall, mark where her shoulders are, where harness straps would be if they were exactly even with her shoulders, then measure and tell us the number. Also, what set of slots is she using on the Regent, and how much space does she have until she is even with those slots (make sure to stick your finger through the cover and feel for the slots in the seat shell; the ones in the cover sometimes don't line up perfectly)?

Knowing her torso height will help us figure out which harnessed seats she'll have any torso room in. The Radian has the tallest top slots other than the Regent and the Safeguard child seat (not the Go). If she's shorter-torsoed, something less expensive like a Graco CarGo or Evenflo Bolero or Generations might work very well. The Recaro Young Sport could also be a contender, since it has very high top slots (taller than the Graco and Evenflo seats, I believe; not sure how it stacks up compared to the Radian), AND it converts to a fabulous belt positioning booster.

MumtotinyM

Ok so I measured my daughter this morning and she is 44.5 inchs I made a mistake in my original post and put her at 45.5 inches and she has a 15" torso. I currently have her at the 3rd slots in her regents. So the suggestions I have seen so far are the radian, safegaurd go, and Apex 65. Out of all these seats which is the lightest and easiest to transport.What about just the regular safegaurd seat is it lighter and smaller than the regent.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
You have already received wonderful suggestions, so I don't have anything to add. I just noticed that I have the same name as your DD and it's even almost spelled the same way! Mine is Mackenzy. It's rare to see it spelled with a Y at the end! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC