Can we talk about OnStar?

Brianna

I may or may not have a trial version of it now, I'm on a free trial of XM radio after purchasing my car so I think I have trial OnStar right now too.

Is it worth it to have OnStar? Honestly I was a bit surprised at the price. I wish there was a cheaper plan for emergency response only, I don't really need the extra frills.

Going with the 3 year plan it's $500 which is a savings of $183 compared to paying monthly for the same time period. Thoughts?

ADS

Jennee

we had onstar before and felt it was worth having especially with me being such a new driver at the time although when our trial was over we pressed the button and told them we were canceling and they gave us a better deal, I dont think we ever paid the full price for the service.
we no longer have that vehicle.

aeormsby

We had it free for a year I think when we bought our Saturn. Didn't renew it. It was kind of cool getting the emails telling me what the tire pressure & oil life was, but the one time the car wouldn't start Onstar/diagnostics didn't work because the battery was dead so no power to the Onstar :rolleyes:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The crash notification feature is something for which there is no real substitute. It sure would be nice if manufacturers offered this separately for free or at a greatly reduced subscription price.

macmomma

I LOVED OnStar in my Saturn!! I had broken down in the middle of nowhere once with two kids in the car somewhere between Ft Polk and Lake Charles.

It was pitch black outside and I truly had NOOO idea where I was at. My phone had no reception BUT OnStar worked- I thought that was weird. anywho... they "found" me on the map and send help.... about a min before the tow truck driver pulled up some really shady guys stopped behind me and walked up to my car with a nasty grin on his face and tried to open my door.... I started to panic, laying on my horn hoping that anyone would hear me and franticly pushed OnStar again. Just in that moment the tow truck pulled up and the guy hurried back to his car and drove off!
OnStar did call the law.... the poor tow truck driver, it took forever until I open the door for him and only after I had OnStar call the tow truck company and had them verify that that guy was legit!

Who knows- OnStar might have saved our lives that day!!

Cath3114

macmomma said:
I LOVED OnStar in my Saturn!! I had broken down in the middle of nowhere once with two kids in the car somewhere between Ft Polk and Lake Charles.

It was pitch black outside and I truly had NOOO idea where I was at. My phone had no reception BUT OnStar worked- I thought that was weird. anywho... they "found" me on the map and send help.... about a min before the tow truck driver pulled up some really shady guys stopped behind me and walked up to my car with a nasty grin on his face and tried to open my door.... I started to panic, laying on my horn hoping that anyone would hear me and franticly pushed OnStar again. Just in that moment the tow truck pulled up and the guy hurried back to his car and drove off!
OnStar did call the law.... the poor tow truck driver, it took forever until I open the door for him and only after I had OnStar call the tow truck company and had them verify that that guy was legit!

Who knows- OnStar might have saved our lives that day!!

Sounds like you were near DeRidder. My birthplace. There are some ...interesting... people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MonkeysMom615

We had/have (still own the car it's just in PA and we're, well, not) OnStar in DH's Saturn Ion and I loved having it! When DH's car was broken into and the gps stolen (that's what he gets for not listening to me when I told him to take it out!) he used OnStar to call the cops since we had JUST moved and didn't have the number to the local police.

I really want the next car we buy to have it. I think the peace of mind it gives me is worth it. :) Especially with the crash response they have now.

LuvBug

You saw my wreck thread. I had onstar. I am now having to buy a new car and one of the needs is that it is equipped with onstar.

Not only for the crash response, but also so DS has a way to call 911 from our phoneless home. I taught him all about how it works and when to use it. We went over scenarios of when he should press the button.
All I have phone wise is my smartphone and its too complicated and often lost.

It is definitely worth it to ME to pay for the basic package and to go through the trouble of making sure the new car is equipped.

Sent from my Atrix, please excuse typos.

Brianna

I'm now thinking that even if I am able to locate and operate my phone after a crash there's a good chance it good be broken. Darn smartphones break pretty easily. I'll be signing up for OnStar, I just wish there was a cheaper price for emergency crash repsonse only.

LuvBug

Me too, and maybe with enough demand there will be. Just write them and tell them how much you love it, but wish there was a cheaper package. Ill do the same.

Sent from my Atrix, please excuse typos.

MonkeysMom615

I heard an ad on the radio today saying you can now get OnStar installed in other vehicles? As soon as the kids go down for a nap I'm going to check it out on their website. I think I heard you can go to Best Buy and they'll install it for you. I think that's kind of awesome. :)

marjen

I heard an ad on the radio today saying you can now get OnStar installed in other vehicles? As soon as the kids go down for a nap I'm going to check it out on their website. I think I heard you can go to Best Buy and they'll install it for you. I think that's kind of awesome. :)

Yep, I saw the display in Best Buy the other day. You can look up to see if your vehicle is compatible. But basically you buy the OnStar rear view mirror, and the price includes installation. We're going to get it for our new Odyssey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC