Ditch lap belt? STARS seat

bnsnyde

I don't know if anyone will see this in the special forum but I need to write a quick note to DD's teacher right now, before school tomorrow.

She came home in the STARS seat on the bus with the harness waaaay loose. That's an easy fix.
But they put the lap belt over her harness. STARS doesn't know if that's good or bad, I called. Any thoughts? STARS is just like a regular 5 pt. harness. So a lap belt over that???

There is also an orange (thin) strap like on a fanny pack that goes on first, under the harness, that positions kids as the bus seat is really upright. It goes close to the chest area, more or less. STARS said this is a common feature of their seats and was crash tested. OK?

ADS

AustinMusic

Firstly, the orange strap around the chest is an official option for the STAR restraint. This is shown in the link below:

STAR with Chest Strap

Use of the chest strap is optional.

Secondly, the lap belt is not required. The official safeguard video showing how to properly secure a child in the STAR restraint is available on their website (click on "Video Menu" on the right hand side) or on [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK_at41k93s"]Youtube[/ame].

According to Safeguard, the STAR "was designed for use with school bus seats that are belted or unbelted."

I hope that helps.

Gary.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

I can tell the teacher to ignore the lap belt or use it.
I am all for increased protection but am unsure if the lap belt could cause any harm.

(and if unused I hope the straps don't fly around).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It can be used on a belted bus- my understanding is, by ignoring the belt. It has a cam wrap. Tell the teacher to buckle the belt behind it and leave it be.

Yes, the orange positioner is part of the seat. It's fine. I think it's optional.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC