small SUV for 3 car seats across

ballfam

Hello,
New to this forum and we are expecting #3, we will have an Orbit infant seat, a britax marathon and a britax booster seat. I really want a smaller SUV that would be able to fit 3 across the 2nd row with Latch system for all 3 seats. What will be my best options? I like the size of the Acura MDX but I am open to all my options that will fit the 3 the best, even if I have to bump up the size of the SUV. We don't want a mini van. Thanks so much for your help!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The 2009-2011 Honda Pilot comes to mind as having three LATCH in the 2nd row. Can't say for sure if your carseats will fit, but it's worth a try. The 2012 Pilot is refreshed and may vary slightly. I hope to have a review of it at CarseatBlog within 1-2 months.

V

VanIsleMommy

another vote for the honda pilot, it was my first choice (we ended up with an equinox which I love, but newer models do not have middle seat latch).

Depending on the seats, I don't beleive you will get 3 across in an xterra, dodge journey, rav4, highlander, or any kia. For a *small* SUV maybe the ford flex or scion. The explorers are quite big (built on a truck frame) and no other crossovers that fit 3 come to mind.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You can do 3-across in the Highlander. There is decent width, especially compared to compact SUVs like Rav4. The issue would be that there are no lower anchors in the center (but there is a top tether). Some seats work fine, but will overlap the adjacent captain's chairs. Other seats don't work well due to the mechanism for the narrow center seat that can interfere, especially rear-facing infant bases and seats with narrow pedestals.

V

VanIsleMommy

oh that's right! I forgot I just read your review on the highlander the other day. I was quite surprised :) I blame baby brain!

Keeks64

I can do 3 across in my 09' KIA Sportage but no middle LATCH

For most small SUV's you need seatbelt installs even if equipped with LATCH to get the outboard seats as close to the door as possible for a solid 3 across install

ballfam

I am sorry this has turned into a double post!! I wasn't sure I had posted in the best area of the forum since I am new to the forum, apologies up front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC