More Radian news about CT

katrintrin

SO on my quest to find out why CT still sells old 48lb stickers & every 1 else has new 65lb stickers this is what I found out.

TJ's received new stickers to re sticker old stock that had not left the stores to consumers.

SO I called CT CS & they told me they have never heard of this, the only info they have on the seat is in Oct of 2006, they were told the seats were rated to 65lbs but TC would only allow them to be sold with a max weight of 48lbs. They then forwarded me onto their CS Supervisor & I told her all I know & she was going to forward her info onto the buyers as her thought was the same as mine. They will not get new stock till the old sells & informed parents will not be buying them so new stock will not be coming through.

I then called SK distributor in Vancouver & they said they have nothing to do about the CT Radians as they do not distribute to CT only small baby stores. They told me to call U.S. CS
SO I did, they told me they do not distribute to Canada I would have to call Canadian SK Distributor. & around & around the circle goes. LOL I was given an email Addy though so we will c what info that gets me.

SO my ? I am left Whit is, who distributes Radians to CT?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes, I told them their website directs consumers to CT, she says yes, but they dont distribute to them

Is the SK in Vancouver PJM distributions? I think I'm remembering the letters right anyways... the Radian box from CT says imported by PJM for sunshine kids canada I think? Anyone going to be near a CT to read the box anytime soon...lol

Will be interesting to see what comes of this though... makes me think if we get one for ds it'll be worth ordering from safetysuperstore and paying the bit of extra money for a recent DOM and higher weight limit stickers. I've still got awhile though, so here's hoping CT figures it out and I don't have to spend more than I need to. :cool:

katrintrin

Is the SK in Vancouver PJM distributions? I think I'm remembering the letters right anyways... the Radian box from CT says imported by PJM for sunshine kids canada I think?

YES! & thats whom I was talkign to but they say they dont distribute to CDN Tire! It is driving me insane!

katrintrin

O.K., so more info. I called CDN Tire CS again & asked them who their distributor is for the Radian & low & behold it isn't The company out of Vancouver it is Dorel Juvenile Group out of Quebec

SO I will be calling them 1st thing in the morning!

babychild taxi

I was just in CT today in Vancouver area checking out the Radians. The boxes still say 48lbs and when I found a staff they didn't know anything about a change. They said representatives from the car seat companies come to the store when there are changes to seats. She was going to look into it. I didn't read the box, but it looks like all the other Radian boxes locally ie: TJs).

Since CT is so far behind, I went to TJs and bought a "new" Radian, Jan. 07 DOM restickered to 65lbs, even though I had to pay more than CT. I think it may have a short strap, but I'm not sure. When I commented about the display model looking like it has a short strap, the sales person didn't know what I was talking about....

Any thoughts/comments?

K.

snowbird25ca

I was just in CT today in Vancouver area checking out the Radians. The boxes still say 48lbs and when I found a staff they didn't know anything about a change. They said representatives from the car seat companies come to the store when there are changes to seats. She was going to look into it. I didn't read the box, but it looks like all the other Radian boxes locally ie: TJs).

Since CT is so far behind, I went to TJs and bought a "new" Radian, Jan. 07 DOM restickered to 65lbs, even though I had to pay more than CT. I think it may have a short strap, but I'm not sure. When I commented about the display model looking like it has a short strap, the sales person didn't know what I was talking about....

Any thoughts/comments?

K.

The display model very well could've had short straps. I believe it is Jan 2007 DOM's onwards that have long straps as well as the deeper harness channel on the back. I briefly had an OCt 2006 DOM and it had long straps, but didn't have the deeper harness channel. I'm not sure when the longer straps were phased in - if they all had them in oct already or not... but with jan 2007 it's a pretty good bet that you have long straps. There's a thread comparing the 2 with pictures.. I don't have the link handy, but a search should turn it up.

So, why would CT be getting their Radian's from Dorel? :confused: That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... and then why would the box say imported by PJM distributions on it? Is Dorel buying them from PJM and then shipping them? Strange... :confused:

thrillhouse

I saw a CT radian yesterday (it was the last one they had in stock at this store) and it had a DOM of I believe March 07. Perhaps this location will be getting a new shipment of properly stickered seats in the near future. However, my 3 year old was right at the top of the top slots in this seat and he weighs 41 lbs. I doubt he'd reach 65 lbs in this anyway, we'll stick with our Husky.

JaRylan

The display model very well could've had short straps. I believe it is Jan 2007 DOM's onwards that have long straps as well as the deeper harness channel on the back. I briefly had an OCt 2006 DOM and it had long straps, but didn't have the deeper harness channel. I'm not sure when the longer straps were phased in - if they all had them in oct already or not... but with jan 2007 it's a pretty good bet that you have long straps. There's a thread comparing the 2 with pictures.. I don't have the link handy, but a search should turn it up.

So, why would CT be getting their Radian's from Dorel? :confused: That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... and then why would the box say imported by PJM distributions on it? Is Dorel buying them from PJM and then shipping them? Strange... :confused:

Picture comparision thread

I know of at least 2 display models that are short strap at CT - one in Brandon MB and one in Regina SK.

Brad Chow from PJM is the Canadian who Russ from SKJP had me contact about getting a new seat to replace my short strap one. When Brad was sending me my new seat I asked what the DOM would be and he said he didn't know as it was inside the box. :rolleyes: So I could have easily ended up with a short strap again..but I didn't.

The explanation I have been given on the short strap is that there were one or two lots of 25 short straps each that made it into production. According to SKJP at the *most* there could only have been 50 seats that had short straps (but a lot of them have mysteriously ended up in Canada :confused: ). Conspiracy theory - maybe they thought they could get away with a short strap mistake in Canada since we should only be using the seat to 48lbs (at that time) anyway. We should start a poll - how many short strap Radians are there? I know of 3 personally, lol.

snowbird25ca

I saw a CT radian yesterday (it was the last one they had in stock at this store) and it had a DOM of I believe March 07. Perhaps this location will be getting a new shipment of properly stickered seats in the near future. However, my 3 year old was right at the top of the top slots in this seat and he weighs 41 lbs. I doubt he'd reach 65 lbs in this anyway, we'll stick with our Husky.

:scratcheshead: Wow, I've never heard of a 3yr old outgrowing the Radian before. It has top slots of 17"... so he must be on the top slots of his husky? Are you sure it was the Radian you were looking at?

Are you in Canada? If so,the Husky is illegal to use here... just so you know. I know lots of people still choose to use american seats, but you can get a ticket for it - plus fMVSS standards do differ from CMVSS standards. General opinion amongst the CDN techs this has been discussed with is that it's simply not worth the risk to bring a US seat into Canada unless there is no other seat available on the market to fit your child - like if it meant a 2yr old going into a booster or a child under 40lbs having to go into a booster.

Obviously you're already using the husky, so I won't try and tell you to go buy the radian anyways...lol. But for future reference or for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the radian does allow children's shoulders to up to 1" over the top slot. They are the only car seat to allow this. And so in the end it makes their seat able to harness a child with an 18" torso - only 2" less than the husky. Kid might not make it to 65lbs, but the vast majority willl make it to an age old enough to be safely using a booster. :twocents:

katrintrin

Picture comparison thread

Brad Chow from PJM is the Canadian who Russ from SKJP had me contact about getting a new seat to replace my short strap one.

I just wanted to add that I believe, although not confirmed that Brad Chow is the same head Honcho @ TJ's in Vancouver, as I was given his email addy to talk to about PJM from sunshine kids CS & I was also given his # & addy to talk to when I was inquiring @ TJ's. When I called it was TJ's main office in Van

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:scratcheshead: Wow, I've never heard of a 3yr old outgrowing the Radian before. It has top slots of 17"... so he must be on the top slots of his husky?

But for future reference or for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the radian does allow children's shoulders to up to 1" over the top slot. They are the only car seat to allow this. And so in the end it makes their seat able to harness a child with an 18" torso - only 2" less than the husky. Kid might not make it to 65lbs, but the vast majority willl make it to an age old enough to be safely using a booster. :twocents:
I thought the Radian's top slot was 18" :confused: So if it 18" and you can use it for an inch past the top slot then that brings you to 19", only an inch different then the Husky/Regent.
radian_det_tab_65_specs_01.jpg

Taken from the Sunshine Kids website.

babychild taxi

Yes, PJM/SK is at the same location as TJs as is Zooper Canada (Marine Dr. location). It makes the whole thing more confusing, like why can't PJM/SK strongly advocate Transport Canada to allow TJs to re-sticker their recently sold Radians. That's exactly what they have done with their current stock (which I bought the other day).

Hmmm

K.

snowbird25ca

I thought the Radian's top slot was 18" :confused: So if it 18" and you can use it for an inch past the top slot then that brings you to 19", only an inch different then the Husky/Regent.
radian_det_tab_65_specs_01.jpg

Taken from the Sunshine Kids website.

Oops, guess I had a brain-fart. :eek: I was thinking of the MA's top slot height.

So yeah, only 1" more of torso height room in the Regent. I wonder how heavy kids get before outgrowing the regent height wise? Seems unlikely that 1 extra room of torso height would get kids another 15lbs - and if most don't make it to 65lbs in the radian anyways, then I wonder how many actually get the increased weight use out of the regent... (probably another thread..just wondering aloud here.)

So the Radian really could be a birth to booster age seat for most kids since it fits newborns well - provided you had room to install it rf'ing. ;) Which makes it a really economical seat when you think of how much use you can get from it. Unless something amazing comes on the market in the next 6 months, then I think this will definitely be the seat we get for ds when he outgrows his SS1.

Now to find out when CT seats will start coming in with the higher weight limits...

Aprilmom

My 65 lb 8 year old still fits in the Radian height wise, but finds it tight in the crotch area. He can handle it for about 2 hours before he complains lol. I posted pics before of him in it.

beeman

Isn't the TB's top height only 19"? So that would make the torso length for the Regent the same as the TB, right?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Isn't the TB's top height only 19"? So that would make the torso length for the Regent the same as the TB, right?

What is the TB :confused:

The Regent's top harness slot is 20" so it is still higher then the Radian at 18" or 19" if you use the inch past the top slot.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
But for future reference or for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the radian does allow children's shoulders to up to 1" over the top slot. They are the only car seat to allow this. And so in the end it makes their seat able to harness a child with an 18" torso - only 2" less than the husky. Kid might not make it to 65lbs, but the vast majority willl make it to an age old enough to be safely using a booster. :twocents:

Does it say in the Canadian Radian manual that you can use it 1" past the top slot? I thought that was just for the Radian 80 or Premier :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC