Angle on RF Britax Boulevard

B

BCole

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. I just installed the Britax Boulevard70 in our 2011 Tahoe for my 8 month old daughter. She is almost 30 inches long and thus had pretty much outgrown her Chicco Keyfit.

I am planning to tether the seat tonight, but it seems that the angle isn't quite reclined enough for her. (I have a tight install with the latch - it doesn't budge at the belt path.) She fell asleep on our way home from running errands today and her head flopped forward (scared me to death!). I pulled over to adjust her position, and she was fine, but I obviously want to avoid that in the future.

I know you're not supposed to use the tether to adjust the recline angle at all, so are there any other tips? I have a small towel rolled up along the belt path under the seat - maybe I need a larger towel? The level line appeared level with the ground, but it's so tough to see exactly when it's that far off (why don't more seats use the bubble levels?).

Any tips or advice? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At her age it's fine if her head goes forward. She has head control and can pull it back up on her own. If she's not uncomfortable I wouldn't change a thing.

Wendy

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Did you double check to make sure you have it in the RF recline position?

Otherwise, yep a towel is fine, a pool noodle can be a little easier depending on your seats, and any angle from 30-45 degrees is acceptable. You can post some pictures if you're still having trouble!

Pixels

The level line on the Britax 70 seats is set at about half way between 30 and 45. You can safely install with the seat a bit more reclined than the line level.

U

Unregistered

The level line on the Britax 70 seats is set at about half way between 30 and 45. You can safely install with the seat a bit more reclined than the line level.

Thank you for this! Does the manual say that and I just missed it when I read it? Either way - appreciate the tip. I'll be off to get a pool noodle in the morning to try to get it reclined a little more.

Also - does anyone have any tips on where to wrap the d-ring for a rear-facing tether in a 2010 Tahoe? (I had a typo in my original post - it's a 2010, not a 2011 Tahoe.) Or maybe it would be better to start a new thread for that?

Pixels

Thank you for this! Does the manual say that and I just missed it when I read it? Either way - appreciate the tip. I'll be off to get a pool noodle in the morning to try to get it reclined a little more.

Also - does anyone have any tips on where to wrap the d-ring for a rear-facing tether in a 2010 Tahoe? (I had a typo in my original post - it's a 2010, not a 2011 Tahoe.) Or maybe it would be better to start a new thread for that?

Page 28 says
When properly installed in the rear-facing position, the back angle of the child seat should be at least 30˚ for children and up to 45˚ from vertical for infants unable to maintain head and neck control (not to exceed 45˚) when the car is parked on a level surface. Use the blue line as a guide to achieve the proper recline angle for rearfacing installations. The blue line will be parallel to the ground when the child seat angle is at the center of the angle range (30 – 45˚). If necessary, the proper recline angle can be achieved by placing a rolled towel or pool noodle in the vehicle seat bight.
(emphasis mine)

If anyone knows about the tether point in your vehicle and sees your post, they should reply here. If nobody replies in a reasonable amount of time, a new thread will give you better visibility. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC