The great shoe/sneaker shopping debate...

mom2juliarose

We go through it every year when DD is about to start school. She is HARD on shoes. She plays hard/plays rough... her shoes get dirty, scuffed, scraped, etc. really quickly...

So do we spend $$ on shoes/sneakers from Stride Rite, Keens, etc. that will take her longer to wear out, or do we spend as little as possible and buy cheap (Payless, Walmart, etc.) because they're going to get ruined anyway.

We're going school clothes shopping this weekend so I need to make up my mind beforehand. She needs casual sneakers (like sneakers to wear on non-gym days... like Converse All-Stars or similar), gym sneakers, and dress shoes (1 pair, probably black Mary Janes, which are used less and so we can buy nicer).

ADS

zactayaus

My kids are hard on shoes as well and I almost always buy name brand because I have found that when I buy the cheap shoes they only last a fraction of the time the more expensive ones do.

mom2juliarose

Do you find certain name brands hold up better? She's had Stride Rite, Skechers, and Converse.... I've never tried Keens or any others, though.

Morganthe

DD is also very hard on her footwear. She walks, runs, scooters, bikes, everywhere during her day. Last winter from Oct-Apr, she rotated through three pairs of boots on a daily basis. Their soles & zippers were all shot by the beginning of spring.

I aim for compromise. Stride Rites for us have always been overpriced for their performance. Walmart & Payless are horrible on fit & padding. I buy on sale, mary janes & the All-weather moc shoes at Lands End. So far, they work for her. This year she has 3 pairs of MJs because she wears them constantly in fall. I think I paid around $17 per pair for them. They'll be worn out by June, even with the winter break.
Next month, I'll take her shopping for boots. OUCH for price, but they're necessary, so no choice. She needs them here for warmth, dryness, and sheer endurance in comparison to flimsy shoes. :shrug-shoulders:

She'll probably end up with as large amount of shoes/sandals/slippers/boots as she did last year. And each one will be worn down to the nub before she outgrows the pair. I find I can't compromise on footwear for her & only have 2 or 3 pairs. She'd be walking barefoot within 5 weeks. However, there are well made shoes out there other than extreme name brands that work well and not cost as insanely as much as others.
I hope that makes sense. :scratcheshead:

good luck. I dread boot shopping. :crying:

Kat_Momof3

I'm with morganthe... I find brands that will wear out more slowly, and then watch for sales... buying on sale means I spend the same as I would have for more pairs of cheaper brand shoes... so it works.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We go for quality, as they last longer. DD1 just annihilated a pair of Teva sandals she's had for two years, and DS has a pair of Keens I bought gently used and they look new even though they have been through the wash several times (PTing, yuck).

We really don't buy sneakers; for school they have indoor shoes (I just got DD a pair of cheapy $20 Target dressy shoes as they only get worn in the classroom) and outdoor shoes (rubber boots for fall and spring, winter boots like Bogs for winter). DD2 has a pair of BearPaw boots as indoor shoes and rubber boots for outside. I will get three pairs of winter boots in a month or so.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

mom2juliarose

For Stride Rite, the only reason I consider them an option is because we have an outlet up the road and Labor Day weekend sales tend to be really awesome there. I've been eyeing shoes from Land's End. Perhaps I'll have to look into those more.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have 2 kids that are really hard on shoes, and I have found a few brands that hold up well and spend the extra $ on those. For us those are Merrill shoes/mocs, Keens, and Ariat boots. The only cheap shoes I buy are flip flops and dress shoes - flip flops get worn through fast and I can replace them a few times. summer and dress shoes don't get worn much.

solmama

If anyone lives near Chippewa Falls, WI (about 1.5 hrs east of Minn/St Paul) I know of a great shoe sale. Mason shoe co (aka shoemall.com) sells returns, overstocks, etc twice a year-Memorial Day week and Labor Day week (may have to call them to ask, I'm not sure).

I got each of my kids a pair of Keens, 2 pairs of tennies for each kid, a pair of hiking boots for dd, and a pair of gore-tex hiking shoes for dh.

Kids are $20/pr or 2/$30
Womens $25 pr or 2/$40
Mens $30/pr or 2/$50

It's quite the sale. It lasts a week, and they bring new shoes out all week. But, the best ones a definitely out the first morning...I waited in line to get in:). With coffee.

gigi

I go with quality as muvh as I can bc everything else wears out in a few weeks. I splurged on a pair of primigi sneakers last winter for my son...what a WASTE!! They looked old and beat up after two weeks. The same happened two years ago with a pair of Geox. Never will but either of those again LOL.

We've had great luck with KEEN for summer...i only buy one pair of them in each size and they are worn daily and they hold up well.

Generally Saucony sneakers hold up too. It's hard for me to compare the Saucony durability though because my son generally refuses to wear any other brand of sneakers (this has been going on since age 2, despite lots of other choices, and he doesn't really have any other brand/style preferences so I think they just feel good to him).

This winter I'm trying out Keen shoes and am hoping he'll wear them when it is too cold/messy/wet for sneakers but not enough for boots...he seemed open to the idea.

For winter boots I always buy Kamik (often used). We walk a lot outdoors in all conditions so his feet need to stay warm dry and comfortable. They definitely hold up well. So well my daughter might be wearing navy winter boots until she's in high school bc my son's are in too great shape to pass on.

sirrahn

I kind of go back and forth on this. I have no problem spending money on good shoes, but at the same time, they often get outgrown before they wear out and I never pass them down so I think there has to be a compromise. I also find that expensive shoes get scuffed and dirty looking just as easily as cheap ones.

DD1 actually fell in love with a pair of sparkly Hello Kitty tennis shoes & DD2 found some tacky light up ones next to them at Walmart last week that she really really liked. They fit well, and I decided to let them get them. They were both so happy and they actually appeared to be decently constructed for Walmart shoes. If they fall apart in a couple of months, I don't think I'll really care.

Sometimes I do feel like insisting they get something "better" and I watch to find Stride Right and the like on sale when I can, but overall, I don't know that it's really a big deal as long as they're comfortable and shoes that they like and will wear.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I encourage regular barefooted play to help my kids get the habit of not letting their feet drag or rub the ground. I don't know if it really helps them be more aware of their feet or if it just cuts sown on wear time, but it doubles the lifespan of a pair of shoes :D

Holly

I haven't read any replies so I don't know if it's been mentioned already.
We bought the girls Avia brand shoes from Sears this year, they were on sale for $10 (normally $20). Sears has a program you can sign up for (it's free) and if the shoes (or clothes) wear out before they are outgrown, they will replace them for free (you do have to save the receipt though).
The shoes are really cute and they look really durable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC