New seat recs? Any other options to consider?

Athena

Hi. I've noticed just recently that sometimes when I put my 3 year old in her seat (rear facing RA55, which we love and do not want to outgrow :(), it looks like she's getting close to reaching the height limit, so I'm thinking about what to do next.

Quick related question: Do you go by their height when you've just put them in and they're stretched up nice and tall, or when they are sitting more naturally and have settled?

She is almost 40" and over 34 pounds without clothes so seats with 35 pound limits are out. I had hoped to keep her rear facing a little longer, but we drive a Forester so Radians are out and that does not leave many options. Our front passenger barely fits as it is and the RA55 fits far better than anything else I've tried, but I haven't been around for a while, so I don't know if there are any new options.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, but the MR isn't much taller than the RA55.

I'd look at the Evenflo Triumph 65, and if you're comfortable with using it over 40" and above the stated recline, the Safety 1st Complete Air.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
if you're comfortable with using it over 40" and above the stated recline, the Safety 1st Complete Air.

Or the new Pria coming out next month. It probably still has the standard Dorel 40" height limit for RF (as far as I know) but it does allow for a more upright recline, rear-faces to 40 lbs, FFs to 70, and has a harness height similar to the CA. MSRP will be $250 or so, I believe.

Athena

Thanks!

I haven't been able to convince myself to ignore the 40" Dorel rule. If it didn't state it right there on the side of the seat, maybe. I don't know.

I was trying to remember what I'd read about the My Ride installing in Foresters, but if it isn't much taller anyway.

I'll check out the Evenflo Triumph 65. Is it much taller? Anyone know how it installs and fits front to back in Foresters? I guess I should just try it, but I dread having to try to install them at BRU with the person standing there waiting and watching. I don't do a great job when under that pressure.

Also, does anyone know whether I go by her height in the seat when just put in and stretched up all tall or once she has settled a bit and is sitting normally? That could make the difference between her making it long enough in her current seat. I am thinking that I'd feel better if I could get her to 3.5, so really just a few months more and at this age, their torso growth slows down a lot. Although ideally I'd keep her RF longer, at what point, would you turn her FF versus buying another seat to RF for that little bit longer? I realize that may not be a popular question and I am pro ERF, but I have to try to be practical too.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
A friend has a triumph in her forester. I have never checked it because they don't live close but we have talked about the install. She said it is good and tight at the belt path and installed with the seatbelt (as LATCH is not okay in the center).

Athena

I go by settled height. Sounds like she has outgrown by weight almost too.

By weight, really? Oh, wait, was I not clear about it being the new RA55 with the new 40 pound RF limit? Clothes don't add that much, do they?

Sounds like she might be okay for a while by height. (Phew) And some days it looks more ify when putting her in, but today, even right after putting her in, she looked completely fine in it. Not like she had tons of room, but like she fit and had a little growing room, like she'd make it to 3.5 and maybe longer. I am trying to make sure I keep a close eye on it. [ETA: It makes me nervous to have her this close to the limit and I prefer to have tons of room. I get nervous I'll make a mistake. ;)]

A friend has a triumph in her forester. I have never checked it because they don't live close but we have talked about the install. She said it is good and tight at the belt path and installed with the seatbelt (as LATCH is not okay in the center).

Thanks. I should have mentioned that she is outboard (using latch now, but I'm not opposed to seatbelt installs, whatever is easier;)), the reason the front to back space is a bigger issue because we need to use both our front seats, and for taller than average people. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC