TFP insert and another question!

kappel11

Hi! We finally decided on the TFP for our son who is close to growing out of his Chicco Keyfit 22. He is around 20 lbs, 15 mths old,,, not sure on height.
Should I take the insert and pillow out? The instructions are not clear on this.

Also, the we might have another problem. I drive a 2010 Dodge Grand caravan. This will be the primary vehicle, but my husband has a 1998 Chevy Ext cab truck. In the TFP instructions it says not to use it in ext cab... UGH!!!! Wish I would have know that!

How about the Britax Blvd? Could we use that seat in the truck too? I would like to have the option, I guess. That was the other seat I was considering.
Thanks in advance for any help with these questions! :)

ADS

Pixels

The TrueFit insert has a 22 pound limit on it. Beyond that, you can choose to use it, or not, at your discretion. I have the insert in for my baby at the moment because it makes the harness closer to "at" his shoulders. Without it (and the harness one setting lower) his shoulders are far enough above the harness that it makes for a poor fit.

The reason the TrueFit says not to use it in an extended cab truck is because there isn't really enough room for a car seat to perform properly. You're going to run into this with any child restraint, because it's actually a problem with extended cabs not having the needed head excursion room. Other restraint manufacturers don't outright prohibit it, but that doesn't necessarily make them safer.

Dorothy

Pixels, room for head excursion won't be an issue as long as the seat is rfing, correct?

ETA- Just read the TFP manual. It prohibits use in "compact" or "small" ext cab pickups. What kind of pickup do you have?

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Last edited:

Dorothy

kappel11 said:
Just checked the Dom and it 11-24-09.. That's not so great, is it!!?!

Where did you buy it, and did you pay full price?

Also, I was editing while you posted. What make and model of pickup do you have?

kappel11

I bought it from diapers.com for 179.99

The truck is 1998 chevy silverado extended cab with three doors and two bench seats. It does have a slot to turn off the passenger air bag.
Thank you!!!

Dorothy

That is a full-size pickup, so it is not expressly prohibited in the manual.

As far as the DOM, I would call and express your concern. Never hurts to call and ask, right?

Pixels

I can't tell you that it's okay to use the seat in an extended cab truck when the manufacturer tells you not to. You can try contacting Learning Curve and asking them about the restriction.

I would install rear facing for my own child as long as the seat actually fit.

Dorothy

Pixels said:
I can't tell you that it's okay to use the seat in an extended cab truck when the manufacturer tells you not to. You can try contacting Learning Curve and asking them about the restriction.

I would install rear facing for my own child as long as the seat actually fit.

Not being argumentative here. Serious question: If the manual specifies "small" and "compact" ext cab pickups are prohibited, then a "full-size" pickup would not be, correct? OP's vehicle is a full-size pickup. Although the back seat is smaller than, say, a crew cab, it has substantially more space front-to-back space than a compact ext cab pickup. I can get you some numbers, if you're interested.

Again, just learning from you techs. :)

At least OP doesn't have to worry about it til 35#s! :)

Stelvis

kappel11 said:
I bought it from diapers.com for 179.99

The truck is 1998 chevy silverado extended cab with three doors and two bench seats. It does have a slot to turn off the passenger air bag.
Thank you!!!

I got one for $130 on Dealomite recently that was DOM March 2011. So I would say that's not a good price for that DOM and I'd be calling them to complain.

kappel11

Ok, So: 1.insert out (or will need to be out soon anyway!)
2.It should be ok in the truck. (I will try to install it in both vehicles to check how it works.)

3.And : the DOM I got stinks. The seat is older than my son! :) It will expire in 11-2016 and he will be around 6 1/2, I think. Will he be out of this seat by then? If so, I will just call and see what they will do. If he might still be using the seat I will send it back. Any guesses on that!? :)

Thanks again for the help!

Dorothy

Just thought I'd mention that I got a good install rfing center in our ext cab, but not ffing. I didn't try too hard, though. With more effort, I might have gotten 80% of the base on the vehicle seat.

I don't want to confuse the issue, though. Right now you're rfing. :) I know ffing is years away. I just thought I ought to mention it.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
To me yours is a full size truck, so that statement does not apply.

It really depends on your son as to outgrowing it by 6.5y. Mine would be out of it at 5y. My nephew would fit until 7y. The boy down the street would fit at 8-9y. But I would be comfortable putting most 6.5y in a booster.

Did you buy 2 truefits? If not how often will he be in both cars? A scerena would fit great in the truck and could be installed and left.

I would call diapers and see if you can get a little credit back.

kappel11

Ok! Thanks! Can I ask one more question? How in the world do you keep the little cover/ pad thing over the crotch area buckle? We haven't even tried installing the seat yet, we've just buckled him in a few times and that keeps falling off.

Pixels

Not being argumentative here. Serious question: If the manual specifies "small" and "compact" ext cab pickups are prohibited, then a "full-size" pickup would not be, correct? OP's vehicle is a full-size pickup. Although the back seat is smaller than, say, a crew cab, it has substantially more space front-to-back space than a compact ext cab pickup. I can get you some numbers, if you're interested.

Again, just learning from you techs. :)

At least OP doesn't have to worry about it til 35#s! :)

OP has stated that s/he has a shutoff switch for the airbag. That is only allowed in vehicles with (legally defined) small back seats. I wouldn't say that it is a full size back seat.

Dorothy

Pixels said:
OP has stated that s/he has a shutoff switch for the airbag. That is only allowed in vehicles with (legally defined) small back seats. I wouldn't say that it is a full size back seat.

Ah. I was just reading about shutoff switches today. LOL

While I understand what you're saying, I am still thinking that's not what the TF manual is referring to.

I'm going to think out loud, so to speak- Just as cars are classified as sub-compact, compact, mid-size, etc., pickups are full-size, compact, etc. A Dakota, Ranger or S10 would be compact/small, but a Silverado, F250 or Ram is full-size. And while a full-size crew cab has a deeper back seat than a full-size ext cab, they are both still full-size, correct? So, the manual's warning against "compact" pickups would not apply.

ETA- Just for reference, here are some rough measurements for comparisons:

Compact ext cab pickup- 21" from back glass to back of front seat; 13" back seat depth

Full-size ext cab- 32" back glass to back of front seat; 16" back seat depth

Crew cab- 40" back glass to back of front seat; 19" back seat depth

These measurements are very rough. Some are from another tech who was helping me previously. Some I just ran out to the garage and took quickly with the front seats as they were. I'd be interested to know how they compare to some different cars and small SUVs/SUV third rows, though. (ETA- Realizing measuring from the seat back would have been better for comparing to other vehicles.)

Oh, and OP- Sorry to have overtaken your thread...

Last edited:

Pixels

"DO NOT use this Convertible Seat in rear seat of a compact pickup truck. Severe head injury or death can occur."

By federal definition, in order to have the airbag shutoff switch OP's back seat has less than 720 mm of room. That is also the federal standard for performance of a child restraint when used with a tether: up to but not more than 720 mm of head excursion.

I think that the presence of an airbag shutoff switch is enough to classify the truck as compact when we're talking primarily about child restraints. I don't really care how big the engine is, nor the length of the bed, if the back seat does not have sufficient room for head excursion, it is a compact vehicle.

Dorothy

Pixels said:
"DO NOT use this Convertible Seat in rear seat of a compact pickup truck. Severe head injury or death can occur."

By federal definition, in order to have the airbag shutoff switch OP's back seat has less than 720 mm of room. That is also the federal standard for performance of a child restraint when used with a tether: up to but not more than 720 mm of head excursion.

I think that the presence of an airbag shutoff switch is enough to classify the truck as compact when we're talking primarily about child restraints. I don't really care how big the engine is, nor the length of the bed, if the back seat does not have sufficient room for head excursion, it is a compact vehicle.

Ok. I see. And, again, I'm not being argumentative. I'm just learning.

So, do ALL cars, then, have more than 720 mm of room? Some cars have very, very small back seats. There are some sports coupes, older model compacts, and even the third rows of some SUVs that I've been in that were very tight fits. I understand you are talking about head excursion room, not leg room, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that there would be less space in a full-size ext cab back seat.

So, I guess to better understand: How do they measure the 720 mm?

Thank you for your patience in explaining this.

ETA- I called LC this morning to ask for clarification on their manual concerning ext cab pickups. At first, they said as long as 80% of the base is on the seat, its ok. But after asking about HE, my question has been forwarded to their engineers. I'm am waiting for a call back.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC