Having 2 kids rear-facing is driving me crazy!

Mommyof3+1

Let me give you the scenario of getting everyone into the car:
(We drive a GMC Yukon XL with captain seats in the 2nd row and an aisle down the middle.)
-My oldest 2 have to get on their hands and knees to crawl under the rfing car seats to get to the back where they sit.
-My ds (4) is in a Graco Nautilus and can buckle himself but has trouble keeping the straps from tangling. Also, depending on what he is wearing the straps are sometime too tight or too loose and he doesn't know how to fix that. He cannot unbuckle himself so his sister has to do it every time.
-My dd (almost 6) is in a Graco Turbobooster.
-It is difficult to put my younger dd (27 months) into her seat because I have to lift her over the side and her legs get all in the way when I get her in there. Her legs go way up the back of the seat. She also cannot see any movie that we put in the dvd player for the kids. I don't think she minds rfing too much though cause she can see the older 2 kids in the back.
Basically, I feel like it would be a whole lot easier to have my ds in a booster seat and have my 2 year old ffing. Would this be dangerous? What would you do in this situation?
Here are my kids' heights and weights:
Olivia - 6 (in August) 48" & 48lbs
Austin - 4yr. 43" & 40lbs
Abigail - 2yr. 33" & 24lbs
Owen - 2 months 24" & 13lbs. 12oz.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can you put the booster and two RFers in the third row? Put RFers in their seats through the back. Then you can put the Nautilus in a captains chair and fold one down to make it easier for your booster kiddo.

You could also put the Nautilus and 2 RFers in the third row with the booster in the captains chair for easy buckling. You can (I'm assuming) fold the captains chair down to buckle the Nautilus.

hrice

What if one your 2 yo was RF in the back and the kiddo in the Nauti in the captains chair in front of that RF seat? The big kids could get in no problem and your 2 yo could climb in his seat and you could buckle standing over the FF seat. Does that make sense?

Phineasmama

Is the baby in a bucket or a convertible? Could you put the baby in the 3rd row if all you have to do is pop it in the base?

bnsnyde

Wow, big car! I guess I'd try to stick it out and keep the 4-year-old harnessed and the 2-year-old RF.

We have 4 kids 5 and under so I know it's not easy.

The good thing is, with a big vehicle, it's sort of doable. Not perfect, of course.

Crawling under a RF seat beats catapulting over the hatch (which we'll have to do someday). :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree, it isn't the fact you have 2 rearfacers, it's that you have them set up in the worst way possible. one of those (or both) rearfacers needs to be out of the second row, or you need to do a 3 across as has been said and then fold one captains seat down.

Personally what i would do is put the infant in the back with the 6 yo, so 6 yo can tend to baby (hand passy, etc) so you have infant bucket and 6yo in booster in back row, and then RF 2 yo and FF 4 yo in a harnessed seat in teh captains chairs...the second row people enter on the 4 yo's side, and simply walk in front of her FF seat. No more crawling. And this puts the 2 and 4 yo's..who need you to help adjust their seats, right where you can get at them :) Obviously, make sure baby is tight in her seat before she gets popped into her base in the 3rd row. :)

melniemi

I think putting the baby in the third row would be even worse. You'd have to try to crawl in holding the babe and squeeze between the captains chairs to pop seat in base. Much easier to have kids climb in before putting infant seat in it's base in a captains chair.

I just got a Yukon xl...no way to buckle from the hatch without literally crawling into the cargo area. We got the 8 pass tho, so no captains chairs....easier, I think.

I think the setup you have is going to be best. Can you unbuckle your 4 yo by just reaching behind the captains chair? Does your 6 yo mind unbuckling him? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. My 2yo is the same size as yours and no way would I ff him.

Good luck, great car, just can get tricky with lots of little ones.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Is the baby in a bucket? If so, just let your older 2 get in before putting the baby in. Then they can get it without having to crawl under the seat. Once they get into the vehicle, then put the baby in. Same goes for you...if you need to get back to the 3rd row to help your 4yr old, don't put the baby's seat in. That way you have easier access to the 3rd row. Only put his seat in once all the others are in.

Granted, this only works while he's in the bucket! But depending on your bucket, it may last long enough to get your 2yr old to 3 and can then think about flipping her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC