Windshield Crack

tl01

My husband's new car got a crack in the windshield the day after be bought it. You can see about 6 inches of it but it is about 10 inches long. We are having the crack stopped so it can no longer spread.

How much less safe is the car now in a roll over b/c of this crack? I know the windshield provides much of the strength in a roll over crash so I wonder if it should really be replaced instead.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have heard that about windshields, too. I think it was from the presentation from the "airbag guy" at one of the conferences. I've always been a bit skeptical because glass is likely to crack and shatter in a crash, anyway. I wish I could give you a good answer. I just don't know how much of the information about the importance of an intact and correctly installed windshield is hearsay and how much is based on real engineering principles.

Anyone know of any studies or research papers on this?

Pixels

It's important enough (or perceived as such) that MA requires all insurance companies to replace cracked windshields, free of charge, without any negative ding on your record.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Pixels said:
It's important enough (or perceived as such) that MA requires all insurance companies to replace cracked windshields, free of charge, without any negative ding on your record.

Wow that's great!

I just had mine replaced last week. It had three dings but one was deep enough that glass was flaking out.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
My husband's new car got a crack in the windshield the day after be bought it. You can see about 6 inches of it but it is about 10 inches long. We are having the crack stopped so it can no longer spread.

How much less safe is the car now in a roll over b/c of this crack? I know the windshield provides much of the strength in a roll over crash so I wonder if it should really be replaced instead.

No warranty?

tl01

The flipside that I've heard is that the factory seal on the windshield is much stronger than what you get afterward and to use judgement when replacing a windshield.

Last edited:

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Several years ago, we cracked DH's windshield (golf ball hit it from golf course, that was a very loud surprise!) and we cracked mine the next day (rock hit it from the road). My insurance has a special phone number for windshield breakage and they didn't blink an eye about it.

I'd get it replaced.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
FWIW, at least according to Progressive, glass is under collision coverage, so your collision deductible applies.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

tl01

Several years ago, we cracked DH's windshield (golf ball hit it from golf course, that was a very loud surprise!) and we cracked mine the next day (rock hit it from the road). My insurance has a special phone number for windshield breakage and they didn't blink an eye about it.

I'd get it replaced.

We've already checked with our insurance. It won't change our rates like a collision would but we have to pay our deductible.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
In addition to any safety issues, you might also want to check your state/local laws regarding cracked windshields. I got pulled over for one two years ago and was lucky to escape a $150 ticket! (And you can bet I got that windshield replaced within days. :eek:)

tl01

In addition to any safety issues, you might also want to check your state/local laws regarding cracked windshields. I got pulled over for one two years ago and was lucky to escape a $150 ticket! (And you can bet I got that windshield replaced within days. :eek:)

It's been filled now and it's barely noticeable and not anywhere near the field of vision. It's down at the bottom of the glass. I know they can cite for it.. but the cop would really have to be looking for this crack.

beeman

I've always been told that the crack needs to connect to 2 different sides of the windshield for it to be structurally affected. It is best to leave your factory windshield until this point, or the point where visibility is affected because factory glass is harder, and less susceptible to damage. As for the structural integrity of it, although the windshield may break, it absorbs a fair bit of energy while doing so, preventing the roof from caving in as far. If it just pops out it doesn't help one bit.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Do when replacing it, is there any difference between glass from the manufacturer versus a glass place? I had mine replaced with a windshield from the manufacturer but I wasn't sure if there was any difference beyond the little symbol and the price.

Laurelz

Wow! I wish they did that here in NE. I know in CO they will ticket you for a cracked windshield, but here they don't care. We have a $500 deductible and a new windshield is like $200 so we just have to pay out of pocket. Our deductible is per incident too. :thumbsdown: Not once a year!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
When we got different insurance I made sure we had a window writer on it. It fixes any window issues we have. No dedicatible, no questions asked. It can probably be added to any insurance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC