FAA recommendations: safety, or just old?

KaiLing

I'm thinking through airplane safety. I got confirmation this week that even though we are allowed to use our seats to their stated maximums on the plane, the FAA still "recommends" RF for 1 year and 20 lbs, FF 20-40 lbs and seat belt only 40 lbs and up. The flight attendent on my flight was absolutely convinced that these recommendations are best practice. She believed that FF was safer in a crash for my 38 lbs 2 yo, and that it would take too long to get an over 40 lbs child out of a harnessed seat in an evacuation. (I did not remind her that she was about to go sit in a RF, 4 point harnessed seat, since her harness is certainly easier to get off).

Now, I am willing to concede that crashing in a plane is different than in a car. And that you want to get out of a disabled plane while you want to stay in a crashed car, usually. But do these differences mean that we should put our 40 lbs kids in the seat belt? Mine is not going to be mature enough to not take off his belt when he is over 40 lbs, so I'm willing to risk it, to some point, just because most plane injuries are about turbulence, not crashing.

Any insight here on the differences between plane and car crashes? Does 3 dimensions change things that much?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Rear-facing is always safer.

Even the FAA would probably concede that, but the RF until 20 lbs, FF harness 20-40, seatbelt after that recommendations are the same as what most law enforcement agencies, etc. go with, too. They're outdated guidelines from when seats only went to those limits.

The FAA certainly allows use beyond those "recommendations" (presuming it's within the allowance of the seat), and they wouldn't if it weren't safe.

As for the different crash/incident dynamics, it really depends. In a sudden stop/collision, rear-facing is better. In turbulence it doesn't matter as much.

I'm flying next month with my 2-year-old. Although I wouldn't dream of FFing her in the car, she'll be FF on the plane and I won't sweat it at all. (Not that she is required to be; it'll just be easier.)

KaiLing

Yeah I have no safety issue with my kid being FF on the plane, he just can't sleep that way yet even with the seat reclined. I was wondering about the getting out issue, though-- it will take longer to get out of a harness. But that doesn't change when they hit 40 lbs. The flight attendent was certainly taught that RF was unsafe, though, and believed it.

I also don't entirely trust that what the FAA allows is safe, since lap infants in turbulence doesn't seem like a safe policy.

rachelandtyke

I would actually think it would be easier to get a child out of a rfing seat easier than a ffing seat just because as you are sitting next to them it is easier to reach over and do it since you are facing them.

Pixels

Yeah I have no safety issue with my kid being FF on the plane, he just can't sleep that way yet even with the seat reclined. I was wondering about the getting out issue, though-- it will take longer to get out of a harness. But that doesn't change when they hit 40 lbs. The flight attendent was certainly taught that RF was unsafe, though, and believed it.

I also don't entirely trust that what the FAA allows is safe, since lap infants in turbulence doesn't seem like a safe policy.

If you understand the reasoning behind the policy, it makes more sense.

The FAA believes that if families were forced to purchase a ticket for their child under 2yo, many families would drive instead due to the cost. Because, even unrestrained, air travel is very, very safe, and road travel is not, the FAA believes that statistically speaking those babies (and their families) are safer when they fly unrestrained than when they drive.

Don't ask me what's magical about turning 2yo.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Probably the average weight at which an unrestrained passenger would kill those around them.

It's not a plane crash that worries me (well, it does, but we're not going to walk away from that). It's mostly runway emergencies, which have crash dynamics very similar to cars. When I point that out to parents, that they wouldn't hold their child on their lap while wearing a lapbelt at 30 mph to go to the store, doing that at 150 mph on a runway doesn't make sense either. And even short flights have a take off and landing. For those parts I like rear facing longer. Turbulence, I don't care what direction they're facing.

Piper traveled with a Britax Wizard for years, and it was terrible to uninstall forward facing, so she rode rear facing on planes until she was 3.5 and we got a Radian. Then she went forward facing because it was easier.

Wendy

KaiLing

OK, so no one thinks that three dimensionally there's a reason to have a 35 lbs child forward facing? I couldn't think of one myself.

There's no way I'm letting my kid sit in just the seat belt on the plane if no one here thinks there's a safety advantage when he's 2 or even 3. Maybe before he's booster-able in the car. But I can't imagine sitting there on take off or landing fighting off a tantrum and keeping his seat belt on. Not worth my mental health.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There's probably less harm in moving kids to the "next step" on a plane earlier than you would in a car, but I certainly can't imagine there's any benefit.

DahliaRW

I believe 40lbs is the weight they like for the lap belts in planes because the risk of submarining goes down around that weight - just like it's the rec for boosters due to that. I have no issues with a 4/40 child in a lap belt on the plane as long as they'd leave it buckled (less issue with maturity since there is no shoulder belt). In an accident a child that age can be instructed to put their head in their lap and for the adult next to them to supervise.

Eclipsepearl

Where is this "recommendation"? On the FAA website? It's said that for ages because the Trip Advisory says to use the seat per the manufacturer's recommendation (sorry on vacation and don't have the link but it's in the article in my siggy).

KaiLing

Where is this "recommendation"? On the FAA website? It's said that for ages because the Trip Advisory says to use the seat per the manufacturer's recommendation (sorry on vacation and don't have the link but it's in the article in my siggy).

The flight attendant got out her manual and we read it. I don't know about websites, this was her hard copy on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC