Advice from a triage nurse...and a VENT!

babygund

Sorry for my vents but only you will understand!

And I quote, "Wow 37 pounds you're almost ready for a booster seat!" This was said to my 2 year old (well basically almost 3 but still):eek::mad:

I replied that seats now go to 65 pounds FF so children can be safely harnessed to 5 or 6 now before moving to a booster seat. I also added that he has just moved FF recently so no where near time for a booster yet thank you!

On another note a FB friend posted pics of her car full of kids all sleeping slumped over in low back boosters, belts behind them and one not in a booster with the belt going over their cheek!!! This was the same person who looked at my 5 (almost 6) year old still harnessed and said wow my son has been out of the baby seat since 4 - her husband is a cop too! I did reply about the benefits of EH but it fell on deaf ears.

Luckily my kids know they are safe in the car and don't bother too much about such comments and just ask if they are safer in their seats which I assure them they are, but still!

Thanks for letting me vent:)

ADS

tjham

:eek: Oh, I would have felt like popping her on the head!

And my relatives kids are all like that. I don't look in their cars IRL anymore, but it's hard when they post it online, right in your face!

lenats31

Unfortunately when someone has a crappy knowledge about childrens´ safety incars they tend to stick with it like "Amen" in church.

Lena

saoirse

scarey when medical and police proffesionals are dishing out poor advice...I had a simillar experience during a car seat clinic with SJA!!!!
I was in shock!!

Pepse

wow that sucks, because what 2 year old is ready for a booster

But your 2 year old weights 37lbs, my almost 4 year old is only 38lbs lol

canadiangie

Devils advocate here, but assuming she knows just a teeny bit about CPS related issues (like the majority of healthcare professionals) I think it's great that she was promoting booster use. Mainstream guidelines talk a lot about 40 pounds as being the magic number, maturity never mentioned, with a brief mention of "around age 4" as a good age. OP's kiddo is obviously a good size, turning 3, so I can see how the nurse thought she was making an appropriate suggestion.

mommycat

I agree with Angie, and really, it was also a perfect opener for you to educate her. Yay, you! ;) Many people get the legal minimums drilled in and just aren't aware that anything else exists, and it isn't truly their field so no reason for them to dig deeper for info. This was a chance for her to hear there may be more to the story (and reinforce your commitment in your son's eyes as well). :thumbsup: And I have seen parents move to boosters before 40lbs and then not use boosters at all much too early, or use their 40-lb harnessed seats past 40lbs, so for some people her comment may have been an improvement over nothing.

The cop friend with kids hanging out of their boosters and sitting in ill-fitting belts? There is no excuse for that. :(

alake

my youngest will be four in August, and she is finally 34 pounds. She does only stand 36 inches tall, she is a shrimp. I can't believe what these people say. I was talking to an RCMP officer from our town, with Leah, and he asked if she was in a booster seat. I told him that no, she road in a harnessed car seat, and that she was way to little to be in a booster. I also went on to explain that her five and a half year old sister is still in a harness.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My 6 1/2 yo is only 40 pounds! She's boostered about 1/2 the time but I get so sick of reminding her to "sit up" "quit leaning over" that I frequently put her back in the Nauti.

mommycat

Yes, the age difference is different between provinces. The only "across the board" part is the 40lbs, if I am not mistaken, since that is the min boosters can be rated to. Many boosters recommend 4yo and 40 inches in their manual/stickers/box but it's not the law.

ETA in NS we just have the 40lbs to go in to the booster, the law doesn't mention height or age. (To stop using a booster, though, it is 4'9" or 9yo, with no mention of weight.)

smackeen

Thanks MommyCat. I could have swore it was 4 and 40 here on PEI, but I can no longer find the info siting that.

Are there any booster seats approved in Canada that do not state 4 and 40lbs?

mommycat

Child Safety Link has this info for the Maratime provinces. Here's PEI:
http://childsafetylink.ca/child-safety-3-to-5/car-seats/lawPEI?subparent=207
Booster Seat
Effective January 1, 2008, Children may ride in a booster seat if they are over 18 kg (40 lb), and they are 9 years of age or less and are less than 145 cm (57 inches).
That wording sadly makes boosters sound optional and at the same time makes it sound like they can't be in a booster after 9yo or 145cm. :( They do mitigate this with a disclaimer below the law sections, though: "The law outlines the minimum safety standard for children in cars. You may choose to keep your child rear-facing, forward facing or in a booster seat longer. Check your car seat for the height and weight limits." :)

mommycat

BTW, this article from 2006 says that before the booster law, kids in PEI didn't need to be in anything but the seatbelt after 40lbs:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2006/09/28/booster-seat.html

All boosters in Canada will have the 40lbs minimum as a requirement. I am almost sure though that I have seen boosters that had a recommended minimum lower than 4yo. Not sure about the 40". It's not something that gets put into online descriptions so I can't check around easily without pulling up manuals. Just from the LISTING of Carseats Available in Canada sticky at the top of the Cdn/Int'l forum, there is:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=159741
Learning Curve Compass 505 & 530
40 to 100 lbs. and between 33 - 57 inches tall
The rest all say 40-XXX lbs, some also say 40-XX inches or up to XX inches, and the Dorel Vista High Back Belt Positioning Booster
booster says "ages 4 1/2 and up".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC