How much does a car seat inspection cost?

New Dad Paul

Hey all -

I'm about to be a new dad and my wife and I have just purchase the Chicco KeyFit 30. There are a few car seat inspectors in our area but I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet and we were wondering if anybody knew a general price range for getting your car seat installed or at least inspected? Thanks!

ADS

BananaBoat

Welcome to Car-Seat.Org :happy-wavehello:

What you are looking for is a private appointment with a CPST. From my experience, the fee greatly depends on the individual doing the check. There is a list of CPSTs who are members of this board found here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

In my area, the closest CPST (not just random fire station giving erroneous advice) is at the Police Station of the next town over. He does appointments free of charge, but you can donate to their Safety Seat program.

Hope that helps & good luck!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my case, I don't accept payment; in the case of many others in the area, I know they charge anywhere from $30 to $80. In some places that would be ridiculous; in my area everyone expects to be charged so they often don't believe me when I say I don't! So, um, it's up to the tech! What area are you in?

Ninetales

In addition, a tech really shouldn't install the seat for you. Our job is to teach you how to do it. That way you will be able to install it in another car, or take it out and put it back if you need to, etc.

Cilia

One place I used to work with asked for a $ 10 donation, Safe Kids did it for free (but would of course accept a donation if you wanted to give one) unless you had an appointment at some of the events. But then you payed the place that set up the appointment, not Safe Kids.

New Dad Paul

That does help - thanks, guys. I've received a few call backs from my area (in Austin, Texas) and some do charge, others ask for donations so it just depends.

I got the impression (and it was seconded by a few of the responses above) that it's a better idea to install the car seat myself and then go by to ensure it was done correctly rather than have them install it for me. Thanks for all the replies!

Paul

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC