Real quick :) Talk me through flying!

judesmommy

Okay...

I have a two year old ERF. We are leaving for a less than 2 hour flight on weds. I am taking him and a crud load of luggage by myself. So originally, I was planning on just purchasing a CARES harness. But, now money is tight. I cannot afford it. Can I take him without anything?? I highly doubt he will have a problem remaining seated... We have a window seat, and I am bringing a new bag of toys and snacks on the plane. Is this a legal option? I have a radian, but, I don't feel comfortable lugging around such a heavy seat alone, and trying to watch my son. I also have an Avenue. Is the Avenue FAA approved and less than 16 inches across??

DS is almost 3, and 31 lbs. 37 inches. He has a brand new seat at our destination.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
ETA: NM, I see you have a seat at your destination.

I'm personally not comfortable flying without a seat. In order to see out the window, he would have to kneel or stand on the plane seat.

We just flew (Alaska Air) yesterday with our Avenue and had no problems with it. It is FAA approved and narrow enough that I could put down the armrest with it installed both RF and FF. The other nice thing is that FF, the Avenue sits low enough to use the tray table.

We also used one of our Radians FF, and it too is low enough to use the tray. We had two of the shoulder straps to carry it. It was heavy after a while, but did leave our hands free to deal with carry-ons, a toddler, and a stroller.

turtlemama

We were taught in our tech course that car seats on planes were to keep the child safe in the event of heavy turbulence, and so that they would have a trusted seat at the arrival destination. So it's not so much about keeping the child seated (though that is a plus) but more about keeping them safe. I'm not too familiar with what seats work on planes, but just by going off of what I learned in my tech course, and from watching videos about car seats and airplanes, I would strongly suggest bringing one along.

judesmommy

thanks ladies! Decided to bring the Avenue. It says that it is FAA approved in the manual and it seems pretty narrow to me. I didn't even really think about turbulence. DS has epilepsy, so the last thing we need is a head injury from turbulence too!

jeno

Senior Community Member
Great! I would def. bring a seat along.

My DD is 3, 38lbs, 38" tall and the lap belt def. does not fit her properly yet.
My son was almost 4 before he rode w/o a seat, and I would consider him extremely mature compared to my DD.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
thanks ladies! Decided to bring the Avenue. It says that it is FAA approved in the manual and it seems pretty narrow to me. I didn't even really think about turbulence. DS has epilepsy, so the last thing we need is a head injury from turbulence too!

Make sure to find the red lettering on the label on the side of the seat before you leave. There's a sample label here: http://carseatblog.com/6599/airplanes-carseats-and-kids—what-you-need-to-know-pt-1/ . It's easier to point to the label when a flight attendant asks you than to look it up in the manual.

Eclipsepearl

Too late but CARES can be rented. Just google "CARES Ebay" or "Craigslist" and the name of your location to get a list.

For the record, I flew alone with three children on 11 1/2 hour flights plus a connection alone with a Radian. It really wasn't a problem. I skipped the stroller and strapped the Radian on to a luggage cart and wheeled it behind me. You have only one child and a really short flight so it shouldn't be a problem.

Just to make it clear that flying with a Radian is no big deal!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC