help husband turned 2.5 yo FF

grouprn

Hello, It's been quite a while since I've been on here but need a little advice. I have been fighting a loosing battle with my husband about turning our son forward facing. Luckily he only rides with my hubby maybe once a week and when he does it is usually in our very small town. In my car he is still RF in a radian. In my husband's he is FF in a scenera.

I'd like to get him a new seat and have given up on trying to keep him RF with my husband. So I need some advice for what kind of seat to get. Didn't know if I should look into bigger convertables or something that turns into a booster later. I need 5 point harness and easy to use. His car is an old chryler LHS so no latch or locking seat belts. I have a terrible time getting a good fit with a locking clip. Not sure what I do wrong. (and of course my husband doesn't think it even needs a locking clip just pulls it tight with the seat belt:mad:)

My son is on the short side 27 pounds and I think around 32-33 inches.

Any recommendations?? Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If there's no chance that it will EVER be used rear-facing in his car or ANY other, you should probably look at a combination seat.

Does his car have top tether anchors? If not, you'll need to retrofit one. If you can get us the exact make/model/year, we can help you with info on how.

If it truly has no locking belts, I might go for the Nautilus Elite-- it's the only currently manufactured combination seat with built-in lockoffs, I think. And if you don't have tether anchors (likely if you don't have locking belts) the Nautilus preforms relatively well without the tether, so I'd be more comfortable using it until you get the retrofit done than a seat that didn't do as well.

babygirlsmom1005

In the mean time have him read the Senera manual, it doesn't allow for forward facing until 34 inches tall, that may buy you some time with rear facing him....if you are in a proper use state, your husband is breaking the law.

grouprn

thanks, I'lll check out the nautilus. I'm pretty sure there are top tether anchors in the outboard positions but no lower latch. I will double check. (His car is a chrysler LHS 2000) I'm not even sure he has it installed right. I just found out he turned him not even sure when he did it, he only rides with daddy when I'm out of town on the weekends working. I'm just so frusterated, what's the big deal with keeping him RF! It's not like Jackson cares. He rides just fine RF, it's totally my husband that wants him forward facing. Sorry for the vent, guess I'm lucky he's held out this long. He was ready to turn him around when he turned 1. Oh and he will still be RF in my and grandma's cars.

I didn't know about the 34" height thing on the scenera. I'll have to get my book out. I'll try that route with him. Not sure it will make much difference. He totally thinks he has some kind of angel above him and nothing bad will ever happen.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's a 2000, his seatbelts lock. Check out this link on how belts lock: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

If you do want the lockoffs though, be aware they're only on the Nautilus Elite, not the regular Nautilus.

ETA: in a Chrysler LHS there are 3 tether anchors, one for each seating position. There was a problem with some TAs being covered during production, so if you can't find it, contact the dealer and they'll cut a hole for you to access it.

grouprn

I'll have to mess with his seat belts again. When I first installed it ages ago I couldn't get the seat belt to lock when I pulled it out all the way. I guess I could have the year wrong too. Who knows. I should probably be in bed instead of on the computer. Thanks for the help. I liked the nautilus when I looked it up if it turns out the belts don't lock the elite would be alot easier to install.

I also just thought about getting my EFTA back from my sister and giving her the scenera. The EFTA didn't work in his car RF due to the knobs but it might work FF.

Thanks again.

grouprn

I just checked out your link. Thanks! I think the latchplate in his car looks like the "lightweight latchplate" one that says to turn it over once before buckling. So if that works does that mean it doesn't matter if I can't get the shoulder belt part to lock that's ok? Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Qarin

If the seatbelt locks at the latchplate then no, the shoulder belt doesn't need to lock (it will lock in a collision).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would be cautious about getting any seat that converts to a booster. I'm afraid the next battle you would have to fight would be keeping the child harnessed at age three.
So I'd keep him in a convertable. Maybe a complete air... Some people on the swap might sell you one because it has some issues with rear facing but that wouldn't be a concern for you. Plus it has the 34" minimum for FF just like the scenera so if that sways the husband to keep him RF a little longer, that would be a bonus.

grouprn

I've never showed him the videos just told him it was safer and why. I could try it. It's worth a shot but not sure it will help. He's hard to explain he just thinks nothing bad will happen so why worry about it. He fell asleep at the wheel a few years ago and rolled his car. Ended up with just a scratch on his leg otherwise fine, though the car was totaled. He was in several accidents when he was young and stupid and never injured. It's hard to reason with his weird logic. If there's ever a tornado I'll be in the basement with Jackson and he'll be on the front porch watching it.

That aside, maybe I should stay away from one that converts to a booster for the time being. You're right this will be an ongoing battle I think. When the commercial came on about boostering till 4'9" I pointed it out and he thought that was ridiculous.

I took the seat out of his car today, it was in there tight but he didn't have the top tether on. I'm going to try one more time about RF and if that doesn't work for now I think I'll get my EFTA back from my sister and FF that in his car.

Alittle off subjest but at about what age are most kids able to ride safely in a booster? I remember reading on here about a little quiz to see if your child was ready but just curious about how far down the road that will be.

thanks for all your help!

krissybear25

Sorry this a lil off topic. I find it really weird that the scenera had a 34 inch limit. I'm in Canada and the book says u can't rf past 32 inches. And u can ff from 29- 40 inches. Also the CA says ff from 29-45 inches

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC