Question What carseat to buy (Canada)

U

Unregistered

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and am looking to see what is the best car seat to purchase for our daughter. I have a son who is in a high back booster seat, a daughter who sits in a normal seat and now a 4 month old preemie girl who we are looking to buy a seat for. I need something that will go rear facing and forward facing, but not too worried about being a booster. My dear girl is quite small (only 9 lbs). Can you recomment a good carseat that is narrow enough to fit in my car with my two other kids that will provide good protection for my wee one.

Thank you so much!

ADS

catchthewind

Someone else who is more knowledgeable will be along shortly, I'm sure, but I'll tell you right now that if you posted what seats they're all in now and all of their heights and weights if you know them, that that would be helpful. :) Different seats fit different-sized kids differently and some puzzle with each other better than others.

U

Unregistered

Sorry, my boy right now is in a graco high back booster. My little girl right now is in a Graco snug and ride car seat and she is about 26" tall at the moment. What I would like is a seat that we could put in one vehicle for now that will eventually become her main seat once she is out of the infant carrier. My oldest is almost 5' and sits on the normal car seats. I was looking at a Britax and a Sunshine Kids Radian, but want what will be best for my little girl.

Thanks,

canadiangie

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and am looking to see what is the best car seat to purchase for our daughter. I have a son who is in a high back booster seat, a daughter who sits in a normal seat and now a 4 month old preemie girl who we are looking to buy a seat for. I need something that will go rear facing and forward facing, but not too worried about being a booster. My dear girl is quite small (only 9 lbs). Can you recomment a good carseat that is narrow enough to fit in my car with my two other kids that will provide good protection for my wee one.

Thank you so much!

Hi, and welcome. :)

What are the ages and weights of your older children?

What booster are you using?

What seat is your infant currently riding in?

U

Unregistered

My son is 45 lbs and in a graco high back booster, my 10 year old girl is 72 lbs and not in a car seat, my baby is just over 9 lbs and currently in a graco snug and ride infant carrier. We are looking for a seat to put her in now that will grow with her until she is in a booster. Since my on will be out of the booster by the time she gets there we will have two high back boosters so don't really need a seat that will become one.

featherhead

Is the height limit the reason you are wanting to move her out of the infant seat? If so, you don't actually have to move her just yet:) Most rear-facing seats actually use what is called the 1 inch rule. Basically the seat is outgrown when either the weight limit is met, or the child's head is 1 inch from the top of the seat. I have a feeling your peanut may have some room to grow. If I am wrong, and she really is outgrowing the seat, we should be able to help you find an appropriate seat for her.

What vehicle do you drive? The Radian may or may not be a good choice, depending on the vehicle. I would probably try the Graco MyRide65. It looks quite wide, but it sits up on a base, so the booster, or your older daughters legs will fit under the seat a bit.

canadiangie

My son is 45 lbs and in a graco high back booster, my 10 year old girl is 72 lbs and not in a car seat, my baby is just over 9 lbs and currently in a graco snug and ride infant carrier. We are looking for a seat to put her in now that will grow with her until she is in a booster. Since my on will be out of the booster by the time she gets there we will have two high back boosters so don't really need a seat that will become one.

For such an itty bitty baby, I think the Graco MyRide 65 or Sunshine Kids Radian Premiere or XT would by my first choice. But actually, before we head into that, I cant help but ask why you want a new seat already? Is your Snugride going to expire? Tell us more.. :)

U

Unregistered

I am looking at a new seat for when she does grow out of the infant carrier (which I know I still have lots of time) but also hoping that if we find one now we could put it in my husbands vehicle so we aren't always switching the base back and forth (yes I know we could buy another one but as this is my 3rd and last child and we have to buy all new seats and stroller because my others have expiered I really don't want to buy another base).

Also I am going for surgery next week and I am not going to be able to lift a lot of weight for a few weeks and thought it would be easier if I didn't have to carry the bucket seat and could just carry her.

My kids tend to outgrow their seats height wise long before they do weight wise.

canadiangie

Ok, sounds good.

The Sunshine Kids Radian is probably your best bet. It's narrow and will definitely take you from now until booster age and weight. The downside is that its not always easy to install. I assume you will put it in the middle so that your oldest can get in easy, and you can help your booster child buckle easier (so oldest kids sitting in outside seats, with baby in the middle), which means you're going to have to use the seatbelt to install the radian.

After that the Graco MyRide 65, but its wider than the Radian, and doesn't always work well forward facing due to the actual shape of the MyRide not meshing well on the vehicle seat.

After that... well, for a tiny 9lb'r, I guess any of the new Britax convertibles with the optional newborn foam insert added. Easy to install with seatbelt, not too wide, parents tend to love the overall feel of them and user friendliness, but expensive for sure.

There's the Learning Curve TrueFit, but it's quite wide... and in all the wrong places for a 3 across.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC