3 across in a 97 Toyota 4 Runner/mazda3

nglauser

Hi there,
We are expecting our third next month and I'm trying to figure out this carseat thing. I currently have my 4 1/2 yr old ff in a radian65 (34 lbs), in the middle seat, and my 2 1/2 year old RF in a britax marathon, driver side.
Firstly, is it worth trying to keep my youngest RF (she'll be 2 years 9 months, is 25 lbs), or will it be a super pain to get her and her sister into their seats if I have an infant bucket seat on the other side?

My third seat is a Safeseat, which will fit ONLY if I do not use the base. Do you think a snugride (or other infant carseat) would fit with the base? Or would it make a difference if I take out the Britax and get another Radian?

My husband has a 2005 Mazda 3, currently with a radian 65 and a britax marathon. If we installed the 2 radians into his car, is there anyway a bucket seat would fit, without a base, for occasional car trips?

My last question (thank you for bearing with me!) - my 4 year old occasionally asks to sit RF'ing. She is over 4, but under the 40 lbs weight limit. Are there still benefits, or any detriments, to turning her rf'ing again?

thanks for reading!
nicole

ADS

mommycat

Hi,

Your 4yo would be perfectly safe RF as long as she still fits the limits of the seat. The benefits of RF exist for all of us, but the benefit diminishes for older kids as the body develops and becomes stronger and more able to absorb the forces experienced FF. So if she wants to ride the same way as her siblings and is under the weight limit and still has at least 1" of shell over her head, go for it.

There are definitely infant seats narrower than the SafeSeat though I can't guarantee they will work. I don't have personal experience with them but the Chicco KeyFit and the Baby Trend Flex-Loc are both pretty narrow.

The Britax and Radian puzzle well together, especially when facing the same direction, so doing another Radian instead may not help. Since it sounds like you have 2 Radians, you could try it but I am guessing it won't make a big difference. RF the 4yo in the Radian may make the Britax/Radian puzzle to be a bit tighter. Putting the Britax in the center may or may not help, as well. Not sure how the SS shell/handle lines up with the shell of the Radian and Britax so one may puzzle better than the other.

I would probably turn the 4yo RF to get a better puzzle and see if that helps get the infant seat in there.

Are you open to doing a convertible for the baby instead of the infant seat? That might be an option as well.

nglauser

Thanks for your help. I could skip the infant carrier but I'm going to try to find a smaller carrier seat to see if it will fit. I can get them to fit as long as I don't use the SS base, which is a pain, but might just have to do! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC