Question suggestions for a new convertable car seat

Hi there, I need to get a new car seat for my son, he is quickly outgrowing his infant seat. He is 3 months old, 15.6 lbs and 25". I drive a 2004 jeep liberty. I would like to find a good seat that will last for many years and would like to keep him rf as long as possible. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much in advance.

ADS
Your dd is still only 15.6 lbs., 25" at 3 months old so I would keep him in his infant seat until he reaches the max. At 3 mths, personally, I would want to keep him in an infant seat so I could use it as a carrier as well.

What infant seat do you have him in now? What is the weight limit?

If you want to put him in a convertible now because he is at the limit of the seat he is in, than the Britax Marathon 70 or the Boulevard, or the Graco Myride are great choices (all max at 40lbs. and 49" rear facing :yeahthatlove:), and comfy for a 3 mth. old.

Some people will do a Radian for a child that size, but I have one for my 4 yo., and personally, I would not be thrilled about putting a 3mth old in it because it just doesn't look as comfy and supportive to me as a Marathon, Boulevard or a Myride would be.

cookie123

I also would keep him in the infant seat until he maxes it out simply for the carrier aspect. As long as he's under the weight limit, if he has an inch of shell above his head, that should be okay.

I was also going to recommend either the Evenflo Triumph 65 or the Evenflo Momentum as possibilities, as well.

Chely7425

Also, the Radian installs like a dream in the liberty and in a 2004 you can brace on the passenger seat, so thats another seat to consider. Also the Truefit. I have a liberty as well and find that seats that sit up higher on bases are a pain for loading.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. He is currently in an evenflow infant seat which I borrowed from a friend (it is not near it's expirary date). The weight max is 20lbs. Lately he has not been very happy in the seat and I'm finding it heavy and difficult to carry around so I don't often take the seat out. I'll take a look at the ones you guys have recommended and we'll see how he fits in them and if need be, I'll keep him in the infant seat longer. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Double check the date or weight limit. I think most 20 pound seats are nearing expiration, at least US seats.

I'll move you to the Canadian forum.

Wendy

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I also would keep him in the infant seat until he maxes it out simply for the carrier aspect. As long as he's under the weight limit, if he has an inch of shell above his head, that should be okay.

I was also going to recommend either the Evenflo Triumph 65 or the Evenflo Momentum as possibilities, as well.

I just want to mention to the OP that in Canada these Evenflo seats only rf to 30lbs. :thumbsdown:

mam521

Just curious as to what your budget is for a new seat...

The My Ride seems to fit little ones well. You can check them out on the Babies R Us website or I've seen them at Superstore and Zellers. It RF's to 40lbs and FF's to 65lbs. Its reasonably budget friendly too. We have this seat as one of our seats for my son and he seems to like it.

You could also take a look at a True Fit. It RF's to 35lbs, FF's to 65lbs. The headrest is removable for RF mode, so it can give front seat riders a touch more leg room while your DS is still small. It has some convenience features like a build in lock off and no rethread harness which might be pretty appealing as well.

A Radian will likely get you all the time you need out of a seat. Its got a 45lb RF limit on the newer models and high harness slots for FF. It does have a tall shell. Some people find a RF install a challenge for this reason. It does offer lots of RF leg room. It is on the higher end of the price scale.

Have you headed into somewhere like Babies R Us and tried out any seats? I'd definitely check out somewhere like that that will let you take the seats out to the vehicle and try installing them. That might sway your decision, as might your DS' fit in the seat. With him being as young as he is, he'll need a proper recline angle for a couple of more months until he gets stronger and gains head control which may limit what seats you want. Good luck on the hunt for the "perfect" seat! :)

Emi's Mommy

My Rides have disappeared from Zellers but you can still find them at Sears. I just picked one up from there and I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

When I was first searching convertibles, DD was about 3 months old and fit very well in it. It's naturally very reclined which is nice for little babies who still need the more reclined angle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC