Is Regent more comfortable than Marathon?

teekadog

4yo dd is nearing the rfing weight limit for the Scenera. At that point I had planned to put her back in her Marathon, ffing. But from the few occasions we have had her in a ffing seat, her legs have cramped sooo badly from just hanging there, so I'm dreading this. Even if I could get a dr.'s note, we could not afford to import a Two-Way Plus. I've tried some of the diy ideas here on how to build her a safe footrest, but nothing has really worked out successfully. At this point I'm wondering if I should try to fund a Regent. My thinking from looking at pictures is that her legs wouldn't be quite so far from the ground, and she might have room to comfortably cross her legs in the seat, without them falling off from the front ledge so easily like they do it convertibles. I'm sure if my legs were hanging off the front of a big convertible, I would get cramps too, but the Regent sitting area looks a bit more like a car seat, instead of a child restraint.

Of course then the problem I would have is that there are no 100% cotton covers for the Regent. Hmm, intense leg cramps or rashy skin breakouts? It's a d*** good thing I'm so committed to using car seats! :rolleyes:

ADS

Michi

Actually, my DD prefers the MA to the Regent.
The MA seems to 'recline' a little bit more (at least in our car) and it has better support for sleeping in the head/shoulder area.

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
Yes, the MA's going to be a bit better as far as sleeping support, but leg wise the Regent's going to be the one you want. The seat is wide enough to sit cross-legged, deeper and softer at the front edge. The Britax convertibles seem (to me) to cause an uncomfortable pressure point at that front edge- the padding's not great right there and one of the bars crosses there.

Michi

Yes, the bottom/seat part of the Regent probably IS more comfortable.

We have a nylon MA cover, so going to the Regent was nothing new for us.
Our ADV has the blue 'Marina' plush cover, though, and I LOVE that. I wish they still made those for the Regent like they used to for the Husky. :(

arly1983

4yo dd is nearing the rfing weight limit for the Scenera. At that point I had planned to put her back in her Marathon, ffing. But from the few occasions we have had her in a ffing seat, her legs have cramped sooo badly from just hanging there, so I'm dreading this. Even if I could get a dr.'s note, we could not afford to import a Two-Way Plus. I've tried some of the diy ideas here on how to build her a safe footrest, but nothing has really worked out successfully. At this point I'm wondering if I should try to fund a Regent. My thinking from looking at pictures is that her legs wouldn't be quite so far from the ground, and she might have room to comfortably cross her legs in the seat, without them falling off from the front ledge so easily like they do it convertibles. I'm sure if my legs were hanging off the front of a big convertible, I would get cramps too, but the Regent sitting area looks a bit more like a car seat, instead of a child restraint.

Of course then the problem I would have is that there are no 100% cotton covers for the Regent. Hmm, intense leg cramps or rashy skin breakouts? It's a d*** good thing I'm so committed to using car seats! :rolleyes:

You have my problem exactly (Eczema breakout vs. leg cramps) and I will tell you what I did.

I found a Husky denim cover and modified the top with my serger so that the Regent tether had slits to go through. I can post more information if you are interested...

You can probably buy a regular regent, then offer to do a trade on covers for a denim husky or see if someone has one they are willing to sale...

We are loving our dnim husky. You can see it in my siggie...

Last edited:

Kellyr2

We have a cowmoo MA and a Marina Husky. I asked Mikayla the other day if she liked the Husky, now that she's in it full time, and she said yes,she loves it, it's SO comfy. Actually, she also said "cozy" which I wouldn't use to describe a big seat like that but whatever, LOL.
I'd say it's a tossup, and will depend on the kid.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Have you taught your dd to put her feet up on the vehicle seat cushion? Are her legs long enough to reach? That's how most kids are just fine in the MA at older ages, the car's seat is a great resting place.
But yeah, the Regent is great for criss cross applesauce :D

Kellyr2

Julie, in my van, I don't think it's even possible for feet to rest on the vehicle seat below them. My kids do like just stretching their feet forward to the front row's arm rests, but that's annoying to the front row passengers! LOL

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you taught your dd to put her feet up on the vehicle seat cushion? Are her legs long enough to reach? That's how most kids are just fine in the MA at older ages, the car's seat is a great resting place.
But yeah, the Regent is great for criss cross applesauce :D

This is exactly what Kaylee (almost 6yrs old) does too.

Connor's Mom

OK, which one does everybody think is more comfy for travel? I had pretty much decided to take the MA on our 12 car trip next month but I don't know. I too worry about leg cramps. DS in not very verbal yet so he can't tell me if his legs are hurting. But in the MA he spends a good amount of time with his legs streched out and his feet on the back of the seat (I have seat protectors) but it it gets anoying if he starts pushing. He can sit cross legged in the Regent. But, in the MA he looks so comfortable sleeping. Decisions, decisions.....

kanga

We go on 15 hour car trips sometimes and my dds always look so comfortable in their marathons. THe one thing i dont like about the regent is, even with the recline bar, it isn't very reclined.

mommyto4

That one doesn't look safe to me. I have seen one that is soft (maybe mesh) and I think it threads through the rear facing belt path. I have also seen some that you can make using a piece of pool noodle. Thread a belt of something similar through the hole in the noodle. Then thread through the rear facing belt path and adjust to the height you need. It doesn't look hard to do. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about and post a picture.

Connor's Mom

have you seen this? http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Id=85184&categoryId=85184&subCategoryId=85184
its from one step ahead and its basicly a footrest that goes under the car seat and its only $25, now i can only assume that its an approved "attachment" but i'm not a tech and dont know if it affects how tight of an install you get with your seat, they also have one that has a table with it

Nope, those can be very dangerous and the ones with the table are even worse!. How would you like that to come loose in an accident and hit your kiddo (or you) in the head. I made a pool noodle foot rest at the suggestion of several of the gals here. The jury is still out on if it will work for DS or not.

teekadog

I tried the pool noodle and styrofoam cooler and all that but it didn't cut it. The problem seems to be that the seat of the Marathon tilts up just slightly. So not just that her legs are hanging off, but that her butt is slightly lower than her knees. It just leads to really poor circulation :mad:

I thank you for the info that the Regent is tougher to sleep in. I was worried about that. But when we took a long drive with her ffing last month, she couldn't sleep more than 10 minutes because she'd wake up screaming with intense leg cramps. :(

We can't afford a new car seat until the end of the year anyway... and we hope to get a new car within the month... so hopefully the new car will allow her more room to rest her legs to the side or something, and if it's still bad, then we'll know to definitely get a Regent at years' end.

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My Radian65 sits low on the vehicle seat: my daughter's legs don't dangle off the edge like on the Marathon. Would that be a seat that you might consider?

Megan

My DD was in a Triumph up until age 4 when we bought a Marathon. We planned for her to use the Marathon until our baby was ready to move out of the infant carrier. She HATED the Marathon and we ended up just keeping her in the Triumph (she's 37 lbs and 42", but still well below the top slots). Anyway, we just got a Regent for her and I was really nervous after her reaction to the MA, but she's very happy in the Regent and never had a single complaint. She rarely sleeps in the car, but we drove on a long trip at night the other weekend and she slept great and looked very comfy. So I'd definitely vote for the Regent over MA for a 4 year old.

fullofhope

My son went from a roundabout to a regent, and he thinks the regent is WAY more comfy to sleep in- doesn't look like it the way he has to tilt his head so much farther to the side, but he thinks it is. He also loves the leg room. He sits cross legged, sticks his feet off to either side, or puts them up on the back of my seat. I think he likes that he has so many more options for leg positions, and the regent is quite padded in the front seat edge.

scatterbunny

At 4 she should sleep just fine in a Regent. :) My dd moved to a Husky (same as Regent) at 2.5 and has always slept great in the bigger seat. She just seemed way too cramped in the Marathon when we tried her in it at 2.5 so we went with the Husky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC