The Dr's talked about rear-facing today!!

ADS

Leila

I liked what they had to say, nothing misleading (IMO) and I really liked that they specified children need to be in boosters until age 8-12 and not in the front seat before age 13.

momtotwogirls

MUCH MUCH better than their last car seat segment they did. Im a little disappointed that they stressed 2 and didnt even mention 2 OR until they outgrow their seat rear facing because for some kids(ok most) it is longer than 2.

Baylor

It was pretty good. I wish they didn't stress 2 years as much though.

Me too. I wish that people would stop going by just minimums when it comes to Child safety. Say the best case scenario.. Keep them rear facing til they out grow seat...

acoro

HONEYhas3 said:
2 is better than 1. Baby steps.

We have to work the general population is slowly, if they hear 3,4,5 yrs or till the seat is outgrown, they will stop listening and go back to 1yr.

Once 2 becomes the "bare minimum" then 3-4 yrs wont look so "crazy" to them.

Just my thoughts.....

That's a very interesting view. I agree!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician

We have to work the general population is slowly, if they hear 3,4,5 yrs or till the seat is outgrown, they will stop listening and go back to 1yr.

Just my thoughts.....
:yeahthatlove:

tjham

Just my thoughts.....

Exactly my thoughts, too. ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Not to mention how many go from infant seat to FF seat and bypass the convertible all together. Technically, they kept their baby 'rf to the limits' and then went FF. So, in all honesty, I'm glad they stress 2yrs. Because in these parts....they keep them rf'ing to the limits of their infant seat and then go straight to a Cosco Combo seat or Graco Nauti.

rxmommy

I can't stand to watch even the commercials for that show anymore because it generally makes me so angry, but glad to hear they had some correct information for one. :)

Kjefferson23

CPS Technician
I really think they did an awesome job! It is safer to RF to the limits of the seat, but the study that was done involved children from 12-23 months of age, so we have hard core evidence to show parents that children at this age are safer RF. I will keep my own children RF well past 2 years old, but most of the parents I come across would RF their baby at age 1 or even younger, so if I can show them evidence and talk them into RF to 2, then I have been very successful as a CPST!

aclayton74

Just my thoughts.....

:yeahthatlove:

I didn't see the first time they talked about car seats. It's strange I never watch the show. I just happened to be flipping channels and heard the word car seat so I thought I would watch it.

Meg

:thumbsup:

So, in all honesty, I'm glad they stress 2yrs. Because in these parts....they keep them rf'ing to the limits of their infant seat and then go straight to a Cosco Combo seat or Graco Nauti.

:yeahthat: I don't think "keep toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they exceed the limits of the car seat" translates correctly for most people. Since so many parents don't realize when their child actually outgrows their seat rear facing, they often flip them foward way before 2 years old. These parents think they're following the latter part of the new recommendation when in reality they're not. That's why I'm cool with the blanket statement of stressing 2 years old. Let the parents focus on 2 and not get bogged down by the but, or, and stipulations. Like a PP said, small steps!

momtotwogirls

I know how some people would read it wrong. I wish it was more of a 2 but its still safer for them to be rear facing past 2 if they still fit weight and height wise.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Just my thoughts.....

Yeah, did you see the looks on the audience's faces as they panned the cameras around? They were all :eek:, especially when talking about the booster age recs and back seat recs. Baby steps indeed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC