Goop

Dillipop

Gilbey has yellow goop oozing from both his eyes. It started last night with the left eye, was somewhat dormant this morning and this afternoon evening was spent wiping the goop off with a damp washcloth and using breastmilk eyedrops. Any ideas on what this could be? I really hope it's not conjuctivitus (pink eye). Any other remedies I can try until we get to the drs office tomorrow morning that might help with his eyes being glued shut? Poor baby woke up a little while ago and couldn't open either eye until we used a wet washcloth. Any help, commiseration, ideas, etc, is appreciated!

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
sounds like pink eye to me...the warm cloth is all the ive heard of for getting the eyes unstuck...

((((((hugs)))))))

hope all is well soon!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
sounds like pink eye to me as well. we just went through this, but I did not have any breast milk to help :(

becca011906

Senior Community Member
yep me too... we had virus pink eye a few weeks ago wasted a $90 dr visit to be told it's probably visrus since it looked better by PM then when she woke up and it was even better by the next day but it was nasty about 2-3 days and better on day 4-5 the dr said and all the info i looked up said that if it was bacterial then it's not going to get better in 4-5 days... and you need and RX i was glad we waited it out a few says rather then do an rx.

Dillipop

Thankfully our copay is only $10 so I might as well take him in. If it's bacterial, I want it taken care of before it spreads to Dillon, me or dh. Pink eye is pretty contagious, right?

Morganthe

Unless his eyes are pink -- it's not likely pink eye.

It's more likely Blocked Tear ducts. DD had problems with them up until she was 1. Goop in the eye & all. It's easy to solve.

Pinch gently on each side of the nose bridge just under the brow. Most people do it naturally when they're tired. Just massage the area above the beginning creases of the eyes & just below the brow. 2-3x a day and it will clear up quickly. Hopefully I've explained it without muddling it up too much.

If you call the dr or look online, I"m sure there are pictures & better explanations.

DD just had a bout of conjunctivitis, but it looks like it was the 3rd type -- non-contagious, both eyes, and due to allergies probably from barn dust or mud. It's clearing up on its own just using washcloths and tearless shampoo. She barely had any pink by this evening. But they were both bright florescent pink on Sunday. That's why I think yours is Blocked tear ducts.... gunk, but no eye irritation.

hth & good luck :)

When I still had breastmilk available, I'd just stick with that (and warm washcloths to de-goop) for several days, and tell myself that if it wasn't getting any better I'd take the child in for the ABX eyedrops. That NEVER happened, in probably a dozen bouts with various goops (never actually diagnosed as pinkeye or otherwise). I did have trouble with a couple of the babies having blocked tear ducts the first few months with very similar goop symptoms, but the massage technique Morganthe described, plus breastmilk eyedrops took care of that (eventually) too.

oxeye

Is the skin around his eye inflamed/puffy at all? Just keep an eye out for that (no pun intended there). When DD1 was 15 months she had what I thought was pink eye but it was actually an infection around the skin of her eye - called orbital cellulitis. It can be pretty dangerous so it was good that I brought her in.

I hope it's nothing - probably more likely to be pink eye or a blocked tear duct but definitely watch swelling around the outside of the eye.

Dillipop

He woke up this morning with his eyes glued shut. HOwever, after cleaning the gunk off, he hasn't gunked up again. His eyes look sleepy, today, almost allergy like. Could he have seasonal allergies at 10 months? We'll keep on with the drops and see how it goes today. Thanks for the suggestions.

TheRealMacGyver

Shannon, I was surprised to read your post this morning, because my son has what sounds like the same thing. He also has a deep cough occasionally though. Anyhow, I'm taking him to Dr in half an hour, so I'll post back with his take on it. Not to say they have the same thing, but sounds similar, so I'll let you know the verdict.

TheRealMacGyver

Just got back from Dr she said he does have pink eye plus he has a slight ear infection. She Rx-ed Amoxicillin for him and a follow-up in 2 weeks. She said that any time there is drainage from the eye and redness it usually indicates pink eye. Hope your is not the same and getting better.

Lea_Ontario

We just went through a bout of pink-eye here. All three kids and myself got it inside of 2 days time.

4 days of fucidic acid drops for all of us, and we're cleared up.

Boo had it the worst - one of his eyes was swelled up so badly.

Dillipop

His eyes seem better, just a little goop in the corner of his eyes, not running rampant like yesterday. He does have a little cough like your son, macgyver, so we'll see.

At this point, we are just waiting and seeing. If it gets bad like yesterday, I will call the dr for an appointment. Just doesn't seem like a good idea, though, if there's no goop for the dr to see.

Macgyver- were your son's eyes pink, too, or just goopy, cause we haven't seen any pink color here!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We had a cold go around our house that made our eyes goop up. Dh and I had it first - my eyes were just constantly runny. Ds got it about a week and a half later and his eyes were pretty goopy. Dd got it a couple weeks after ds and she got goopy eyes too. We all had a cough, runny nose and sneezing along with it too. Ds and I both ran fevers between 100 and 102 for a day as well.

We all got better without anything, although I did put some breastmilk into ds's eyes. Dd's we just wiped with a warm wash cloth and had her rub her eyes to clear them out. It was just like tons of extra sleepers.

A lot of pink eye is viral anyways - but it is very very contagious, so you or dh would likely be having symptoms by now too.

TheRealMacGyver

Macgyver- were your son's eyes pink, too, or just goopy, cause we haven't seen any pink color here!

His left eye was just slightly pinkish, but not that noticable. But the doctor pulled his lower eyelid down and showed me how his eye had red blood vessels that you couldn't see otherwise. I did a little research yesterday and found there are 3 types of pink-eye: viral, bacterial, and allergic. Not sure which he has, but if it's alergic then it's not contagious. It was just odd that you had this same problem, then at the dr office I was talking with a mom that had her 6 week old in for the same thing. Strange. My son hasn't been anywhere that I can think of to get this, but I guess it could come from anywhere. Maybe he touched something at the store that another kid touched?

Hope yours is doing better.

Dillipop

Nope, we still have the goop. I am taking him to the dr in the am. It's just wierd because when he wakes up, I clean his eyes and they seem fine, but as the day goes on, say after 2, they start to leak the yellow stuff. Each morning, I 've thought it was better, kwim? I just don't want the dr to look at me like I'm crazy since he doesn't have the goop in the morning. I am going to take him tomorrow, though, since it's now been 4 days and they still look gross in the evening. Probably time for something more than BM drops.:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC