Seat suggestions for Australia

canadiangie

Our neighbours are moving to Australia with their two children ages 3 and 1.

They understand their current seats (boulevard, marathon and scenera) are not legal for use over there.

Can anyone suggest some good seats available in Sydney. I don't think price is a factor, and they do not rear face their children past the minimums, which I know is the norm in Australia anyway.

Children weigh about 30lbs and 25lbs. Car unknown as of right now.

Thanks for any help. :)

ADS

mommycat

Here's a not-too-old thread - and um it seems everone was saying to import and use illegally, but that was for a FF 11mo who had outgrown the legal options.

This one was from 2007 and suggested a booster (Maxi Rider II) and the Protecta harness. At least at the time no seats were out with a harness over 40lbs it seems. According to one poster the MRII is not very tall. It has the anti-submarine clip (it's a Britax brand).

Harness info: http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/childharness.php

Hopefully things have changed since then and there are some other (better) seat options, I'll let the AU crowd answer that!

finn

Not much has changed :( all seats only harness to 18kg or 40lbs, ds at 4 has outgrown pretty much all harnessed Australian seats.

He would have to be in a booster if we lived there.

I would be looking at the safe and sound maxi rider ahr's for both kids, they harness until 18kg & can be used with protector harnesses until 36kg (I think). I don't really like the protector harnesses they seem to sit quite high on the lap/tummy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Joddle

Check out these test results:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/children/child_restraints_results_0211.pdf
It's a large selection of the seats available here that have been independantly tested and rated.
I would go with the SNS Meridian T&A for the 1yo ($400ish) and the Babylove EzyCombo for the 3yo ($200?).
Tell your friend TO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use a Protecta harness. A recent study has shown they actually cause injury in a collision, and companies only sell them with boosters to make extra money.
HTH :)

mommycat

Yikes on the protecta harness! I wonder if it's because it sometimes sits so high as finn mentioned, and whether using it with a booster with the anti-submarine clip makes it perform better - do you have a link for details, Joddle? The Harness link I posted above does say that sometimes the harness keeps the lap belt too high and to choose boosters with the anit-sub clip or very low beltguides. Do some of the harnesses come with a clip to clip into a crotch buckle on combination seats?

mommycat

Some height info for the Meridian T&A (this forum has the feel of a c-s.org type of place based on a few topics - people really looking at height, etc and some seat name short-hand, lol):
http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37441
Quick comparison MC complete Air & SnS Meridian T&Aby monstermama

In case someone is interested
As these seats are supposed to be able to fit a child up to 4 years of age, these are Seth's current measurements:
3 yo, 102cm tall, around 15kg
head to bottom length about 59cm
shoulder to bottom length about 37cm

Now for the seats

T&A
seatback at longest setting: 66cm
shoulder slot at highest setting: 37cm

Complete Air
seatback at longest setting: 67cm
shoulder slot at highest setting: 41cm

MC Priorifix (just for fun)
Seatback length: 59cm
highest shoulder slot: 40cm

benefits of T&A over Complete Air as I see it are that it can be used from birth & has extra recline positions to accommodate sleeping children when forward facing. However, the headrest does seem to tilt forward awkwardly, which may be why some people are having issues with the harness fitting neatly.
A long bodied child might be better off in the Complete Air due to slightly higher shoulder slots.
followed by some discussion so do check the link as well. :) (and if anyone is feeling eager today, register and put in a note that there are no ratings based on US crash testing!)

A couple of threads on the Babylove Ezy Combo, no measurements but qualitative and anecdotal fit:
http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33081&start=0
http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38149

Joddle

Here's the link to the study on add on harnesses:
http://www.pscwa.org.au/getdoc/c563...ec853b142/Child-Safety-Harness---July-09.aspx

They found the only scenario the add on harness would be ok, was with a booster with an anti sub clip, fitted correctly every time. And even in this scenario, the harness wasn't safer than a lap sash, only EQUAL. And considering the rate of misuse because of difficulty with an add on harness, a lap sash would always be safer.
:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC