Help with new boosters for Volvo XC90!

girlsmom

I'm new to this website and am hoping to get some much need advice. I have 2 DDs -- DD1 will be 7 yrs old next month and is tall and thin (50", 44#); DD2 is 4.5 yrs old is tall but not as thin (44", 42#). I drive a 2005 Volvo XC90 and we were rear-ended last week. Fortunately, no one was injured, but I need to replace both of their carseats and have been researching new ones.

DD1 rides in a Graco TB and DD2 in an Evenflo Comet in the 5pt harness (passed down from DD1). Since the accident, I realized that DD2 is 2 lbs over the limit for the Comet harness. Eeekk! It never dawned on me because DD1 rode harnessed in that seat until she reached 40# at 5.5 yrs. Prior to the accident, I was thinking that I would move DD2 to a BPB when she turned 5 yrs in Nov. because she's been asking about it and we do carpool on occasion.

To give you all a little background, when I moved DD1 from the Comet 1.5 yrs ago, I faced a major problem with finding any BPB to fit properly in my car because the non-removable/non-adjustable headrests on outboard positions prevent them from sitting flush with seatback which I found was a definite no-no. I talked to many different people about this issue including my local CPS techs and Volvo HQ. I found it humorous that Volvo suggested that I peer inside other people's Volvo's to see what type of carseats they are using! My solution at the time was to put the TB in the center position and move DD1 riding in a RA at that time to outboard. I knew that I would eventually need to find a better solution once DD1 outgrew the Comet (which she now has!) because they both can't ride center at the same time.

I've heard that Britax has come out with a new BPB, the Monarch. I had previously tried the PW 1.5 yrs ago for DD2, but it didn't work outboard because of the headrest issue. DD2 also didn't like how the PW confined her head and restricted her view. Based on the 360 view on Britax's website, it looks like the Monarch headrest goes slightly inward so it may clear my Volvo's headrest. I'm thinking about hunting one down tomorrow to try it out...

Does anyone have any experience with this? If you drive a Volvo XC90 and have children in BPB, which ones are you using and do they sit flush against the seatbacks?

Thanks for reading my long winded story! :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Annie

ADS

girlsmom

Sorry, I just realized that I made some typos in my original posting. This is what happens when I try to think at 1:30am! :D Anyway, I've made the corrections below in red. TIA for any advice!

I'm new to this website and am hoping to get some much need advice. I have 2 DDs -- DD1 will be 7 yrs old next month and is tall and thin (50", 44#); DD2 is 4.5 yrs old is tall but not as thin (44", 42#). I drive a 2005 Volvo XC90 and we were rear-ended last week. Fortunately, no one was injured, but I need to replace both of their carseats and have been researching new ones.

DD1 rides in a Graco TB and DD2 in an Evenflo Comet in the 5pt harness (passed down from DD1). Since the accident, I realized that DD2 is 2 lbs over the limit for the Comet harness. Eeekk! It never dawned on me because DD1 rode harnessed in that seat until she reached 40# at 5.5 yrs. Prior to the accident, I was thinking that I would move DD2 to a BPB when she turned 5 yrs in Nov. because she's been asking about it and we do carpool on occasion.

To give you all a little background, when I moved DD1 from the Comet 1.5 yrs ago, I faced a major problem with finding any BPB to fit properly in my car because the non-removable/non-adjustable headrests on outboard positions prevent them from sitting flush with seatback which I found was a definite no-no. I talked to many different people about this issue including my local CPS techs and Volvo HQ. I found it humorous that Volvo suggested that I peer inside other people's Volvo's to see what type of carseats they are using! My solution at the time was to put the TB in the center position and move DD1 riding in a RA at that time to outboard. I knew that I would eventually need to find a better solution once DD2 outgrew the Comet (which she now has!) because they both can't ride center at the same time.

I've heard that Britax has come out with a new BPB, the Monarch. I had previously tried the PW 1.5 yrs ago for DD1, but it didn't work outboard because of the headrest issue. DD1 also didn't like how the PW confined her head and restricted her view. Based on the 360 view on Britax's website, it looks like the Monarch headrest goes slightly inward so it may clear my Volvo's headrest. I'm thinking about hunting one down tomorrow to try it out...

Does anyone have any experience with this? If you drive a Volvo XC90 and have children in BPB, which ones are you using and do they sit flush against the seatbacks?

Thanks for reading my long winded story! :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Annie

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry no one's gotten back to you, I think our resident XC90 drivers must be out for the weekend, lol. I know those headrests are a beast to work around... try a search at the bottom of the page in the google box to see if anyone has anything that worked in the past, though.

:)

Chameleon

I have heard that the Compass B510 have slightly inward tops for headrests such as these types. You might try them out and see if they fit for your older DD.

girlsmom

Thanks for all for your replies!

I googled and found that it's a common problem, but haven't found anyone with any solutions posted. If I only knew this 2 yrs ago before we spent all this money on this car that was supposed to be #1 in safety! :(

I've also checked the Compatibility Database and am finding conflicting info (i.e., some list Marathon as a good fit forward facing, but others site that seat not fitting because of the headrests). One person did list using 2 Monarchs in their Volvo with a good fit. I've called around locally and found only one store that has Monarchs in stock, so I'm off to check it out! I will check the Compass B510 also while I'm there.

Many thanks!

~Annie

girlsmom

I just got back from my local baby/kids store and am disappointed. I called before I went since it's on the other side of town and was told they had Monarchs in stock. Unfortunately, when I got there they only had the floor model and wouldn't be getting more stock for 2-3 weeks. I guess there was some confusion between the salespeople because one claimed they still had some in stock and other was certain they didn't. Sure enough, they didn't have any.

I was able to try the Monarch floor model in my Volvo and it seemed to fit ok. The booster headrest is slightly set inward so it does allow the main part of the BPB to sit flush against the car seatback even in the highest position. However, the part of the BPB that slides up (the long skinny part below the headrest) is about an inch away from the car seatback. Is this ok? I did notice that this part is much more sturdy than TB and PW, where it doesn't flex.

I had both of my DDs in tow and they tried out all the seats. They both liked the Monarch because it was really plush (compared to TB and Comet) and had the "little pillows". :thumbsup:

I also tried the Compass B510 and it only fit in my car when it was in the lowest position, which wouldn't work for either of my DDs.

~Annie

girlsmom

Monarch fit ok??

I bought 2 Monarchs this afternoon from another baby/kids store. The salesperson thought that the 1 inch space between the sliding part below the BPB headrest and the car seatback is fine, but suggested that I confirm with a CPS Tech.

Any CPS Techs out there that can tell me if this is ok or not? I can't remove the tags on the seats if I need to return them...

TIA!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it should be fine. Might want to call 1-888-4BRITAX and explain the situation to them and get approval, though. I was going to suggest you just throw in the towel and buy the Volvo boosters, lol.

:)

PHaley

Well the kids I care for are riding in their mothers XC90 and I had her to put the 2 older kids in Parkways in the 3rd row and they fit nicely and I just have to remind them to LOCK their belts (but thats more for them learning now how to sit in their boosters after no one knows how long they were floating around with NO SEATS!) And the youngest we have in a Apex 65 and I can get a rock solid install in no time and if you can see using 2 of them I'd recommend that for both your girls. I also installed my Marathon because I was keeping my goddaughter and working and it fit fine and still left room for her 12 yr old to sit on the integrated booster in between the RF Marathon and the Apex. Hope that helps.

To simplify:
Apex 65 to keep them harnessed
Parkway if you want BPB
Marathon if you possibly will have another in the future

BTW just as soon as I can convince her I really want to put a regent in place of the Apex and put the girl out of the Parkway into the Apex then both "big boys" can be in Parkways. But that will take a lot of convincing. lol

TXDani

Senior Community Member
"Well the kids I care for are riding in their mothers XC90 and I had her to put the 2 older kids in Parkways in the 3rd row and they fit nicely and I just have to remind them to LOCK their belts"

I am pretty sure you can only use back-less boosters in the third row of the XC90. When we were car shopping it was on my list and it was okay when I knew it was only booster that could be put back there but I then I heard it was only no-back boosters that could be used. Not 100% sure....maybe I'll look it up again.

girlsmom

Julie -- I spoke with a CPST at Britax and she would not give me an "official" approval to use the Monarch in my Volvo. The rationale is that Britax only tests its carseats that sit completely flush against the car seatback including the headrest portion of carseat. Coincidentally, she drives a Volvo S40 and knew exactly what I was talking about regarding the tilted headrests but didn't have children requiring any carseats so couldn't provide any insight. She suggested letting DD1 ride in a backless booster, but wouldn't recommend the same for DD2 since she's only 4.5 yrs. Her final comment to me was to "pick the lesser of two evils" -- going backless for DD2 or using the Monarch... I'm going to take my chances using the Monarch because backless is not a good option for DD2 at this time. Any thoughts?

I had previously considered purchasing the Volvo booster (as hideous as it may be!), but it only fits kids up to 54", which wouldn't be a good longterm solution for DD1 who's 50" already and growing by the minute. Also, there's no SIP, so I wouldn't use it in my DH's car or for any carpools.

PHaley -- What year is the XC90? The Parkway and Monarch don't sit flush in the 3rd row either in my 2005 and actually they have a much larger gap (about 2"). Same problem with the larger harness seats (i.e, Marathon and Apex).

I also spoke with Volvo HQ today about my continued problems and inquired about 3rd row seating. The rep understood how the headrests impede any BPB or larger harness seat from fitting properly, but didn't have any solutions. He did say that the manual supplement (which I never received) indicates that no children requiring any type of carseats should ride in the 3rd row since there's no ISOFIX/LATCH. I couldn't find any mention of this in Volvo's online manuals. He's having a supplement mailed to me so I can see this all in print. He did agreed that it's a "gray area" when dealing with BPB or backless boosters because they don't secure to the car; however, headrests are still an issue.

Sorry about the long post, but wanted to share all the info I got.

girlsmom

I just got my Volvo Owner's Manual Supplement in the mail today. Here's what it says:

"XC90 only: Booster cushions are the only type of child restraint system that may be used in the optional third row of seats."

There a picture of a child riding on booster cushion in the manual which is a backless booster, so I'm interpreting this to mean that you cannot use high back boosters in the 3rd row (i.e, Parkways, TurboBoosters with backs attached, Monarchs with backs attached).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
That is how I have always interpreted that supplement. We have discussed it before in the past on this board. Maybe if you do a search for "XC90" you'll find some more information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC