Question Britax Marathon Rearfacing

blazey

Let me preface this by saying I am in Canada, British Columbia to be precise. Here is my question I hope some of the Canadian CPST's I know are here can help. Thanks.

My daughter is petite. She is 2yr 1mo old 32" and 25lbs fully clothed with shoes & coat. She has a longer body and shorter legs. I was reading the manual for my Britax marathon (Nov 2009 manuf. date) and it stated that we were not to use the seat rear facing if any on the following occured:
child is less then 5lbs, less than 18 inches in height, more than 30lbs in weight, MORE THAN 32" IN HEIGHT, has less than 1" (2.5cm) of shell above the head. My question is that my daughter has close to 2.5" (6.25cm) of hard shell above her head, but is 32" in total height, do I have to flip her forward facing? I would like to keep her rearfacing but I don't want to buy another seat. She just seems too small to flip forward. Again any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

ADS

mommycat

:yeahthat: Technically we should always follow the manual BUT when you apply some common sense, the overall height has little to do with how the seat will perform. It is the torso height that matters, and it has been shown that having at least 1" of shell is necessary for safety. A number of newer seats have used this 1" rule of thumb as a limit as opposed to stating a numerical limit (while in the past it seemed that the 32" height was an unwritten standard for Canadian seats and much debate was devoted to figuring where that number came from and why our seats had it while US seats did not). Many parents (myself included) choose to make the parental decision to overlook the 32" overall height limit in favour of the 1" rule. I am especially comfortable with it with a lighter child who is not pushing the weight limit of the seat.

blazey

I will keep her rearfacing until she gets closer to the weight limit. She is due for a growth spurt soon, but hope to keep her this way for a few more months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC