FF top of ears rule

abigaylebelle

I noticed that in manuals it shows that the tips of the child's ears should not extend past the top of the shell, but in the drawings the child's eyebrows are level with the top of the ears. My kid's eyebrows are a lot higher than the tops of his ears. Admittedly, he might have small ears but in that case when will he pass the ff ears at top of shell rule? When his eyebrows go over or his ears?

Oh and I know most kids outgrow by shoulder height before that point but um my kid also has an enormous head and I think he might be an exception (or the roundabout 40 is unusual that way).

ADS

Keeanh

Haha! I have a couple kids with tiny, low-set ears too. The idea is to prevent whiplash, so it's where the shell is on the skull that matters, not the position of the ears. I would personally play it safe and go with the eyebrows. I've yet to run into that problem though -- my pumpkin-head (said affectionately) is still RF.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's the top of the eyes, eyebrows are set different on different people. :) Ears and eyes are GENERALLY about the same but if you're dealing with really small or low ears, go with top of the eyes, instead.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's a pretty short seat, and I think my kids head was pushing the tops of ears rule a lot sooner than other seats, when she had room to grow at the shoulders... https://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5241425925868399362
It's really all about preventing whiplash...as long as their heads can't flip backwards over the top of the seat, that's what's important. Heads fly up and back a lot, and harnesses stretch to allow more motion, but it's still not probably a problem if there's a tall seatback or high headrest behind the top of the seat as a backup catcher's mitt for that noggin. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC