Maestro vs Generations 65 for Airplane

agympro

After much reading and advice I purchased two Maestros for my 4 yr old (41", 42lbs) and 2 yr old (38", 36lbs) to take on board an airplane and for a rental car. At the store I saw the Generations 65. Does anyone know how the Generations does on a plane? Is it too wide?

My main concern with the Maestro is that the tray table won't go all the way down. I know it will go almost all the way down, but its my first time traveling with my kids and my 2 yr old can be testy so I want him to be able to use the tray for DVD's, coloring, etc. It looks like the arm rests go up on the Generations so the tray table can lay flat???

Also, will my 4 yr old have room for her legs on the airplane? I also thought I may be able to use the Generations longer for my 4 yr old as a 2nd car seat in my husbands car (currently we don't have one so I don't mind the extra money for it at all).

My other choice is to check the seats with the cargo on the plane in the box they came in and both my kids can just ride in the airplane seat. I have a feeling my 2 yr old will not want to ride in his car seat unless his sister is as well. So its both or none.

Any thoughts or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's possible that a two year old at that weight will fit in the seatbelt, but it's very likely not. It's also likely that a two year old will simply not have enough of a rise to keep the lapbelt off of their belly. I'd definitely bring a seat for the two year old, and if it's all or none, then all.

I don't know about the tray on the plane.

The Generations has top slots 1.5" lower than the Maestro, so even though the weight limit is higher it's often outgrown about 18 months sooner. It'll fit on a plane, though. Just put the armrests up.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I just did a search and several said the tray works with the maestro. A few said it didn't go down all the way, but most of the way.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

agympro

Thanks again. I am going to stick with the Maestro. Put my 4 yr old in a Generations at the store today and it would BARELY even work right now, definitely no growing room in it. Long-torsoed kids throw all of those measurements off!

soygurl

One idea to help with the tray if it doesn't go all the way down, would be to bring a piece of grippy shelf liner to keep DVD player, coloring supplies, etc. from rolling away. :thoumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC