Convertible seat for 04 Nissan Quest

AmyKat

I have ordered a Recaro Signo for my 11 month old DD. She's currently in her Chicco Keyfit and fitting nicely. But, she's not going to make it until August in that seat. I need to find a convertible car seat to use in my car as a "filler" seat. The filler seat will then be moved to either my DH's Saab 9.5 or my MIL's Lincoln Aviator.

The problem is I can't find a convertible car seat that fits tightly in my 2004 Nissan Quest minivan. I even took one of them up (Cosco Scenera) to the fire station and the guy couldn't get it in tight.

I have only tried installing the seats with LATCH because I honestly didn't think about the seat belt option until this morning. :doh:

Seriously though, I drive a Mommy-van. There have got to be convertible car seats that fit snugly.

Any advice/suggestions? Would changing to a seatbelt installation help? Can I tether the seat even if it's not really supposed to be tethered rear-facing?

Thanks!

Amy

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's very possible a seatbelt installation will do the trick. No idea. Can you go out and try it and post pictures for us if you have problems? Why didn't the guy at the fire station try a seatbelt? Was he certified?

You cannot tether it RFing. It's not meant to be used that way, and you have no idea how it may react. It may put too much stress on the seat in a collision. It may crack the seat in half, holding your baby's hips in one part and the shoulders in another. It's meant to rebound, not be tied down. I wouldn't try it with my kid acting as the crash test dummy.

Wendy

AmyKat

Wendi - Thanks for your reply. I don't know if the fireman was certified or not. I called and asked for an appt with the car seat installer and I got Bubba (seriously) when I got there. I don't know why he didn't try the seat belt and I didn't think to ask him to do it. I will try it with the seat belt next time I have a chance. I can try to take a picture - what exactly do you want a picture of? The belt path?

Amy

henrietta

Seat belt install should help. Also, pull the belt tight while your knee and all of your weight is in the seat. I pull the shoulder belt portion by the buckle and keep wrenching down by rocking the seat while my knee is in it. Once I think it's pretty tight, I keep a hold of the shoulder belt with one hand, grab it on the other side of the carseat with the other hand, and pull as much as I can and feed it back into the retractor before I climb out of the seat. I keep a hold of the side by the buckle until the very last second when I climb down and give a few good jerks on it from the other side. By then, I can usually get it tighter just by using by foot and pulling from the top of the shoulder belt.

good luck!

henrietta

Auntie2Avi

My sister has an 04 Nissan Quest and it is a pain to install carseats in. The seat belt is in a bad spot and makes it hard to get a tight install on carseats. What i had to do was use latch for Avi's RF MA and DC, with the seatbelt i could not get the seat tight enough. There has only been a MA and DC in that spot, she got the car after Avi was out of his snugride.

I know that there are videos with tips on the Scerena installation, maybe someone could pop in and show you.

Ilana

Auntie to Avi- 38.5 lbs, 39 inches, FF in a Marathon and Decathlon

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC