Ok talk to me about Odyssey

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok i think i'm in love but i have a few questions, i think a mom at the seat check today sold me on the ody... anyways though her's was a '05 and i don't think i can buy an '05... unless it has hi miles and low prices... i'm only looking for about 16K - maybe 18K to spend on it and that's ONLY if they give me GOOD trade in on my land rover (think i'll break even). anyways what are the differant options from a '02 to '03 to '04 and if i can wing it maybe '05... i didn't know if anyone knows how well the radian installs in one... ??? The 40 LATCH limit kinda worries me but i could get over it if i needed too. Is there anything i want to look for specifics? i think i'm going to look at them (JUST LOOK) at a dealer on thrusday w/ my sister.

ADS

lovinwaves

I have a 2005 so I can answer any question about that year for sure.

2005 was the first year of the totally new redesign. Any years before that I don't know much about. On the 2005 you are going to get 2 sets of LATCH and Tethers on the second row and 1 latch and tether on the third row. With no ability to add any :(

If you do a search of Odyssey in the Car Safety Forum it will pull up many threads where this wonderful vehicle has been discussed. :)

You will also find this webpage very helpful as well: http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

Amaris

We have an 03 and love it. There are latch and tethers on both captains chairs. There aren't any latch connectors in the 3rd row, but it does come with a tether anchor in the center. You can add 2 more for a total of 3 tether anchors in the 3rd row. I still have one marathon attached with latch in the center captains chair, and a regent installed with the seatbelt. The regent is currently outboard on the passenger side in the 3rd row, but was installed with the seatbelt outboard on the drivers side in the captains chair. I haven't had a problem with a seatbelt install except the center of the 3rd row. There is a lap belt on the seat and a shoulder belt that comes out of the ceiling and attaches to it. You just use the lap belt for carseats, and personally I've found it very hard to get a good install there, though it is possible except with the regent. We did have a marathon there once and DH had it in very tightly. HTH!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I second the vote for the 2003 or 04 model... mine's still running great, easy to put seats in, love the flip down table between the front rows so you can walk to the back row easily...easy to add extra top tethers in the third row...

:)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok a '03 or '04 is probably going to be more in our price range...

Does the 3rd row of these modles have head suport/rest???

The option of LATCH and tether is kinda not a BIG deal i'll have to install all seats with seat belt in about a year with allie, and only use 2 teathers for abby and allie, and then IF IF IF we add the to family then i'll have only the baby by then able to use the LATCH and probably only allie using a tether, as abby will be moved to a parkway by then (1-2 years)...
Also does ANYONE have a radain that they have gotten a good tight sucessful install in the ody???

THanks so much ladies!

musicmaj

I can install a ff radian in the driver's side captian's chair in our 04 ody. I recline the seatback, install the radian, and then put the seat back up in place. I get a good install - not rock solid, but close. Oh, I have to twist the seatbelt stalk 2 times for a good install.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
One more question... what year is the side/curtin air bags in all three rows standard??? or when did it start? I kinda would feel better about having that since i plan to keep this car for many many years to come and likley past the point of my kids needing seats.

lovinwaves

One more question... what year is the side/curtin air bags in all three rows standard??? or when did it start? I kinda would feel better about having that since i plan to keep this car for many many years to come and likley past the point of my kids needing seats.

2005, IIRC

becca011906

Senior Community Member
:crying:

Ok i might have to look at them i could give up tether hooks for the air bags...

the mama at the car seat clinic showed me how it has that pull out cady things behind the drivers seat.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
yep that's it! Do they have thoes in all years or only the newer ones... i know the one i have seen and put the seats in at the car seat clinic was an '05 like yours. i did LOVE It but i think it's probably going to be out of our budget...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's 2005 and newer...:/

How old are your kids again? I have the same issue, needing side curtain airbags soon...at least you (the 2003 Ody) have two 'center' positions, so my elder kids can ride in the middle once they are too big for highback boosters (11ish, I'm thinking).

Amaris

Yeah, no side curtain air bags here either. When Michael moves out of the regent he will go into a booster with sip so it really won't be an issue for us for quite some time though. If we still have it (and unless it's just not drivable by then we will) when he's outgrown whatever booster he ends up in the it will have to be gotten rid of for something with side curtain air bags, but since that's probably at least 4-6 years down the road (he's very tall) I'm not too worried about it yet! That is the one thing I would change about our van if I could though.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
That's 2005 and newer...:/

How old are your kids again? I have the same issue, needing side curtain airbags soon...at least you (the 2003 Ody) have two 'center' positions, so my elder kids can ride in the middle once they are too big for highback boosters (11ish, I'm thinking).

My 7 year old has about 4 inches in the parkway i think but that's torso room, but i really want a car i can keep a LONG TIME! LOL I though i read somwhere that the center in the second row was kinda low for a small adult/grown child... but i'm not sure again only info i think i read somwhere...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I really think the Start is a tad taller than the Parkway... my 9.5 yo is complaining about the Parkway hurting his back, and he's in the top notch...he's got quite a bit of growing room in the Start. Yeah, the middle rows aren't great from a shoulderbelt perspective, but they could be worse, really (I'm not saying don't buy a newer van if you can't afford it, lol...I'd love to upgrade, like, today...)

:)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
LOL yeah i'll just have to look, i have ONLY looked at pricing on ebay, so i'll get a better idea when i go look locally! But with out the curtin air bags it still gets really good ratings on side impact crash testing

Oh and i don't think the start is quite in my car seat budget! I really wish it was but it's just not.

ajweeks

I just bought a 2007 Odyssey LX. Yes, no bells and whistles, but I just couldn't justify sacrificing safety for convenience features. I was originally looking at used ones, but found that the 2005 and 2006 ones were not only harder to find, but prices were not much less than a new LX. Hondas really hold their value.

Now I love my new Ody, but you also might want to test drive the Sedona as well. I drove both and liked the Ody better and also the Honda name, but people seem to like the Sedona and you can find 2006 ones used for under $20K.

jennsmile

LOL yeah i'll just have to look, i have ONLY looked at pricing on ebay, so i'll get a better idea when i go look locally! But with out the curtin air bags it still gets really good ratings on side impact crash testing

Oh and i don't think the start is quite in my car seat budget! I really wish it was but it's just not.

Sam's club carries the Start for a lot less ;)
Jenn

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Sam's Club??? WHAT??? i go there atleast everyother month, never noticed any car seat there at all? Just online or where??? Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC