Radian and Marathon Limits in Canada?

mommycat

I went to buy a Radian at Canadian Tire last night. I wanted one so that I could RF my son longer since he is just about at the 30 lb limit for his AOE. The Canadian Tire website listed the Radian's limits as:
RF 33 lb/ 32 in
FF 48 lb/ 49 in

Once I opened the box, I found that the manual actually lists the limits as:
RF 30 lb/ 32 in
FF 48 lb/ 47 in

So I cannot actually use this seat to RF my son any longer than the AOE and don't need to buy it until he has outgrown the harness for the AOE installed FF. Not to mention the fact that this seat, which was just shipped into the store this past week, has a DOM of 08/2006, so 9 months of it's life are already gone! :mad:

The Canadain BRU website lists the RF limits of the Marathon as 33 lb. I wonder if this is wrong too?

Does anyone have a Canadian manual for a Marathon? Could you please check the weight and height limits and list them here? If I could get a Marathon to RF my son longer I would probably do so despite the higher price.

My son is almost 28 months and weighs just under 30 lb. He is about 35 in tall but still has about an inch to the top of the AOE shell. He's FF in the grandparents' vehicles but I would love to keep him RF in mine as long as I can.

ADS

BudgieStew

Sorry all newer seats are RF to 30 lbs only. The 33 lbs is the rule in the U.S. It seems a lot of websites/stores just C and P from the US information.

At one time some/all? seats RF to 35 lbs. I own a Eddie Bauer that RF to 35 lbs DOM early 2004...and a Touriva DOM late 2004 only is allowed to 30 lbs.

And I bought a Radian yesterday that has a DOM of July 06!!!!!And it was just shipped to the store in January. I am super annoyed as I searched all over the place for the blue cover and the seat itself really...its on back order all over the place.

Last edited:

mommycat

Thanks for the info. *sigh* It's so annoying that they let the seats sit for so long before they get out to the stores. I've bought 4 AOs from CT as well, but the dates on those were always about a month previous - very fast shipping on those, apparently.

I guess DS will be going FF very soon, then. :(

Jewels

Senior Community Member
And I bought a Radian yesterday that has a DOM of July 06!!!!!And it was just shipped to the store in January. I am super annoyed as I searched all over the place for the blue cover and the seat itself really...its on back order all over the place.

Did you see the Radian is on sale at Canadian Tire in this week flyer for $189?!

When I bought my MA they couldn't keep them in stock and the DOM was June and I bought my seat in October, I wasn't super thrilled about this but oh well I guess. My friend just got a Radian from CT and the DOM was October sometime :confused:

BudgieStew

Did I not say that as soon as I would buy the Radian it would go on sale. I am sure if you search my posts you can find it somewhere.
Whatever. I have to buy another to keep at my parents so will get them to buy it at CT..not caring so much about the cover color on the second one just as long as DS main cover is Blue.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Did I not say that as soon as I would buy the Radian it would go on sale. I am sure if you search my posts you can find it somewhere.
Whatever. I have to buy another to keep at my parents so will get them to buy it at CT..not caring so much about the cover color on the second one just as long as DS main cover is Blue.

Yes you did say that :D Also if you just bought it you could try taking in your receipt to see if they will give you any money back :rolleyes:

BudgieStew

I bought it from a baby boutique yesterday and really would take it back but like I said it being a blue cover was super important to my son...important enough that the 10.00 does not bother me too much, well just a tiny bit.
The DOM bothers me much more but I think even from CT its going to be a crappy DOM.
My Mother called her local CT to check the DOM as when she checked the other day it there was only one in stock.

That and they better sticker the darn things as well as my 6 month old Marathon or head's will roll.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We briefly had a Radian with an Oct 06 DOM that had shipped in January. We returned it because we decided to go with the SS1 until ds absolutely needs a convertible...

My June 2006 MA has a rf'ing weight limit of 30lbs too... I debated using it past to the 33lb limit, but decided since my dd is almost 3 that we'd just turn her ff'ing...

Like someone mentioned, at present every single convertible seat is labelled as 30lb max rf'ing limit regardless of what the seat is tested to in the US or if it was previously labelled higher here. Some people have seats with the limits that match the US, and really there's no difference in the seats, so I have no clue why Transport Canada put a cap on the max weight allowed. :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is my thinking, and I may feel different when the time approaches again, but if ds is heavier at a younger age, I will make a parental decision to use the seat to whatever it's certified to in the US.

As a side note, I emailed transport canada and asked them a bunch of questions. I'm sure it'll be awhile before I hear back, but this was one of them - along with the max 32" length limit that all convertibles are listed as despite the same seats having a 34" min length to be used ff'ing in the US. I also asked about the new weight limits and how the memo talks about FMVSS standards. So we'll see what response I get to that, and I'll be posting a new thread when I hear.. although it could be July for all I know, given the lack of government efficiency at times. :whistle:

BudgieStew

Just as a side note. I had my parents pick up one of the only two Radian's in stock at their local CT today and it had a DOM of August 2006.The sales clerk had said the two seats had just been shipped to them this past month.

So unless I go with a big online company like TJ's or Safety Super Store and pay up to 60.00 more) who seem to have a higher turnover this will be the best we can do on DOM. Of course both seats have the new recall on them so I have to mess about with that.

mommycat

Just as a side note. I had my parents pick up one of the only two Radian's in stock at their local CT today and it had a DOM of August 2006.The sales clerk had said the two seats had just been shipped to them this past month.

So unless I go with a big online company like TJ's or Safety Super Store and pay up to 60.00 more) who seem to have a higher turnover this will be the best we can do on DOM. Of course both seats have the new recall on them so I have to mess about with that.

What recall? :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC