Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Chains needed?

Unregistered

Chains needed?

We just bought a brand new 2004 Toyota Sienna with the safety features VSC and TRAC. We are heading up to Bend OR from Northern California for Christmas. I expect to drive on long stretches on highway that may be packed snow/ice/dirt. I feel with these additional saftey features we should be O.K. unless it's dumping snow or I feel the car slide at all. My wife is more incline to put on chains from the get go. Also I have many driving hours experience in the snow and ice! The question is when I should put on our chains?
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Some areas require you to use chains or snow tires. If you plan to be driving in these areas, I would pick up a set of chains just in case. If your Sienna is AWD and you have a set of dedicated snow tires, you should be fine without them.

I head over to Bend a couple times a year. I always carry chains with me because sometimes there are pull-over points where you are required to pull over and put them on or you are forced to turn around by the state police. So....if I were you, I'd carry them with me and not get them out until told to or when I felt like I couldn't continue to travel safety without them. Usually by the time the police are telling me to put them on, I'm thinking the same thing anyway.

Edited to add: If you have studded tires, they don't require you to use chains.
    Last edited by bazanna; 12-13-2003 at 01:20 PM.
    YES I am a certified CPS Technician...Internet advice is never the same as having someone actually look at your seats, your kids, and your car. Have your seats CHECKED by a Technician.