Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Honda Pilot vs. Toyota 4Runner

We sat in a 2004 4Runner the other day and I was a little disappointed in the creature comforts. The front seats sat low in relation to the floor--it was like sitting in a sports car. I know I've been spoiled by sitting in actual chairs in my Sienna! Even our RAV4 has more leg dangling space than the new 4Runner.

Also, the optional 3rd row seats sit right against the back tailgate. What kind of a safety issue is this? Dh compared it to a side impact--with the door being so close to the seats. Would that be accurate?

Is the Pilot similar to the 4Runner in this regard? Is the 3rd row in the Pilot optional or included? We don't need the 3rd row. Does the tailgate window on the pilot open?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Obviously, the more room from passenger to metal, the better. Side impacts are more common and severe than rear impacts, though in rear impacts adults may also be concerned with seat back failure.

I'm pretty sure Pilot is standard with 3 rows, but Ulrike might know for sure:-)

Keep in mind the 4Runner is designed on a truck platform, while the Pilot is on a unibody car platform. Fortunately, the 2004 4runner is supposed to be improved in terms of handling and rollover than the previous version. If you don't need a 3rd row, what about the Highlander instead?

For some reason, I just don't like the looks of the Highlander. Don't ask me why, lol. I do like the fact that the Pilot was designed on a car platform, though the V8 on the 4Runner is nice.

At this point, we're still just trying to get an idea of what's available. Dh thinks he's going to be told by the powers that be at work that he will need to buy a new vehicle (like our '96 RAV4 is a piece of junk, gimme a break! ) and he wants to get one that will be comfortable for all of us (including the dog) to go skiing.

A couple other car-based choices- the Nissan Murano and Chrysler Pacifica both did well in crash testing, and both should have relatively low rollover risk also.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    The 3rd row on the Pilot is standard and SMALL. I'm 5'6", and my knees touch the 2nd row when I sit in the far back. The rear window does not open, only the 4 in the doors open.

If you have any other questions about the Pilot, please feel free to ask!
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Thanks, Ulrike. How about the leg room in the front seat--is it more like sitting on a chair (like a minivan captain's chair) or is it more sports car-like where there's really no elevation to the seat off the floor?

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    The front is very chair-like. In fact, the first time I drove our Saturn after being in the Pilot, I felt like I was in a sports car. LOL

The leg-room is great. I don't push my chair all the way back to give the kids more room in the 2nd row, and I've still got plenty of space.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Thanks, Ulrike! We'll check it out when the kids are better.