Does anyone drive an Eagle Talon?

U

Unregistered

Hi, First off my DS is a Soon to be 5 year old, 44"(ish) tall, 50lbs), We currently have two seats a Frontier in my truck and a Parkway SG for my husbands truck (I tried for weeks and cannot get the Frontier to install in his ext cab silverado).
Anyways, My brother has been taking him here and their but they usually they just take him to the park in town so they just take my truck and leave their car for me to use (saves on time and hassle of switching seats), But they are wanting to take him to their house (about 30mins away) so they can actually spend the whole day with him.
So I make him look for a tether bolt thinking I'll switch my Frontier into his car, but when he arrives I have a flashback as to why I sold my car shortly after my son was born, The Eagle Talons have kind of bucket seats in the back, making car seat installation almost impossible. So their was no way the base of the frontier was going to fit "into" the bucket seats it would sit ontop which would just about make the top of the seat hit the roof of the car. So I went to put the booster seat in and it aswell didn't fit in, needless to say he took my truck for the day. And although that worked that day I cant always give him my truck.
Does anyone have a talon and a seat that fits correctly?!? OR Does anyone know which booster seat has the "narrowest" base? Thanks in advance!

ADS

mommycat

From the Data & Measurements forum:

PWSG: External Base Seating Width: 17 in.
TB: External Base Seating Width: 16 in.
SK Monterey: External Base Seating Width: 18 in
Clek Oobr: External Base Seating Width: 16 in.
Recaro ProBooster: External Base Seating Width: 15.5 in.
Recaro Vivo: External Base Seating Width: 17 in.

Not sue why but I was sure the Monterey was narrower in the base - I guess not, though.

Is the booster tippy in the seat or is just that it sits up so it connects just on the sides while the center hangs above the seat? I am not entirely sure this would be a deal breaker? Not one I have thought about in terms of boosters before.

mommycat

Ok, so here's where I though I saw the Monterey labeled smaller. Either this is wrong or the database forum is wrong. Can someone with a Monterey confirm?
monterey-dimensions.jpg

mommycat

Aaand, I just realized that I was in the Canadian forum (pretty bad for a Canadian Tech :eek: ) so the Vivo is not an option (ETA and not the ProBooster, either). We do have a Harmony backless at Walmart but of course I can't remember which one it is.

U

Unregistered

Hi, Firstly THANK YOU mommycat your research is muchly appreciated.
Emi'smom- I belive it is a 95, but I had a 91 and a 92 and the seats seem to be the same.

sorry I didn't see the reply's till today. When I put the booster in, if you center it it will sit right on top of each side so the only parts of the car seat that are touching the seat are the very front and both side on the back. I had a brainstorm today and thought if I cant find one to "fit in" the bucket seat, Is it allowed to put a pool noodle or towel rolled up under the back of the seat like you can when rear facing to try and get the right angle? I would love to be able to find a seat that fits in the bucket as then his head is as far away from the hatch window/roof as possible. Hoping that makes sense. So I will be searching away for a booster that will fit, but hoping someone could tell me if it is ok to do the whole pool noodle thing?
Thanks again :)

mommycat

Sorry, putting anything under the seat is not approved. I am not sure since I haven't actually seen it, but I think it may actually be ok for the booster to not fit in the groove so long as it has decent support around the edges of the base and isn't tippy... but I am open to other opinions from those who may have seen this sort of situation in person...

I would try the TurboBooster for sure. It is narrower than your PW and fits younger booster riders well.

If you need to, you could go backless. Here's what snowbird25ca had to say about the Walmart Harmony backless ($17.67):
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=162947
Sounds very positive, and she says the footprint is ~3(-4)" narrower than the Monterey. :) Looks like the armrests angle but that should be ok for your case.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Mommycat. Approx how much would you say needs to be touching seat on each side? Its not tippy as long as you make sure its centered when putting the seat in. As far as I can remember their are no head rests in the talon, do some boosters need them? Is a backless booster ok without one? I know I should check with manufactures to see their rules but since you've been so helpful I thought you might be able to save me a minute or two :) Thanks again, and hopefully by tomorrow I will remember my user name to log in with hehehe:)

mommycat

I'm not sure what to say about the amount of base that needs to be touching down. For harnessed seats, 80% of the base must be supported, and I am almost sure I heard that as far as TC testing goes, they actually figure out that percentage based on surface area, not length along the seat or whatever. Not sure how to translate all that into a booster and especially teh case you are looking at. Sorry. :( was really hoping someone else would chime in as well.

Some boosters do need support from the vehicle seatback/headrest, the ones I know of for sure are the FF-only Dorel seats (harnessed and boosters) - I asked about this here:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=155153

You could use a backless, but ONLY until the tops of DS's ears reach the top of the vehicle seat back. After that, you would really want to find something with a high back to offer head support and whiplash protection. The same goes for the boosters that need support, as well - they would be ok so long as his ears are still below the vehicle seat back.

mburks26

I have a 95 Honda and had access to a 2000 TransAm that has bucket seats and the only high back seat I have found that works is the Vivo do to the base design and I know that is not an option though. What about the Compass boosters they have rails for the base of the booster that should fit in bucket seats.
Oh the harmony lite rider did fit in those two as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC