Can I move son to booster - 6 yrs under 30 lbs in Canada

U

Unregistered

My son is VERY skinny for his age and height. He is 32lbs so he doesn't meet the weight requirements to move him to a booster. He is 6 yrs old and 43" tall.

I still have him in a forward facing car seat but the issue is that he can't go anywhere with other parents because they just have booster seats. I'm wondering if he can be in a booster because while is weight is low, he is older and taller.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I agree... so that he can go with others, I'd get an inexpensive second seat that can quickly and easily be installed for him in other cars.

mommycat

:yeahthat:

(And oh my, yes, he is very very slim - DS1 is 42lbs and about same age and height and he seems very skinny to me, so wow. Hopefully he will fill out a little soon. I assume you have had that weight confirmed on more than one scale to be sure it is correct.)

You may need to supply a harnessed seat for him to use when going in others' vehicles. This obvioulsy takes a little more time to arrange as you need to make the seat available and it would need to be installed properly. The good thing is, he could still get out with friends, and most people with kids will have used FF seats for their kids and so will have tether anchors available in their vehicles. I would get a spare seat so you don't need to take his every-day seat in and out, something like the Evenflo Maestro - it is only $129.99 regular price (some Zellers, ToysRUs, Sears), it has very tall top slots at ~18", a 47-lb harness limit and will turn into a decent (though short) booster for once he reaches 40lbs. It is light and relatively narrow. Unless he has a particularly tall torso, he should still have room to grow in the harness. Some of the other Evenflo combination seats may be even cheaper but have lower slots, so they may not last him long enough if he takes a while to gain those 8 lbs.

Bonus Information in case you were wondering about the school bus (since compartmentalization is typically said to work best for kids over 40lb and 40" - and some places now require buses to provide harnesses for kids under 40lbs):
Actually, compartmentalization working has very little to do with weight-- more to do with height and age. "Preschool-aged children" are supposed to be restrained in harnesses on the bus.
So what is an appropriate height and age for compartmentalization to provide protection?
I don't remember the numbers but I believe it was cited as the height of the "average 6 year old" in our tech class, and definitely kids at 5 or 6-- booster age-- have more complete bone development than younger children. Also, by the time they are booster age they are generally more able to sit properly the whole time on the bus (obviously SN kids are excluded from that. :) )
Does it matter? Yes. Does compartmentalization fail for smaller children? No- it just doesn't work as well, thus ideally we want them harnessed. Buses, like city buses, without compartmentalization, with standing passengers, etc are also very safe. The reasons include the size of the bus (buses are large and tend to "win" in accidents), the amount of training bus drivers receive, and that bus drivers drive the same route every day so are use to the terrain.

Lea_Ontario

My son is VERY skinny for his age and height. He is 32lbs so he doesn't meet the weight requirements to move him to a booster. He is 6 yrs old and 43" tall.

I still have him in a forward facing car seat but the issue is that he can't go anywhere with other parents because they just have booster seats. I'm wondering if he can be in a booster because while is weight is low, he is older and taller.

Unfortunately, no. All the boosters here have both an age AND a weight minimum.

I think one of the previous posters mentioned the Maestro as a back-up seat that others can use for him, and it's a great idea as long as you trust the other parents to properly install the seat.

It's lightweight, the weight limit is more than adequate for your son, and it's got wonderfully high harness slots for the weight limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC